Will 3000 MHz RAM work?

Olvum

I'm planning to build a Ryzen based PC, and it's known that Ryzen CPUs work best with fast RAM. My problem is that all budget motherboards like the ASRock B450 Pro4 only support these speeds

DDR4: 2133/2400/2666/2933/3200

Can I still use 3000 MHz RAM on the board since it doesn't exceed the maximum speed? I'd rather not use 2666 MHz RAM, but also don't want to spend more money to get 3200 MHz RAM.

There are many of us that have ram that is rated for 3200mhz+, but can't get past 2933 or 3000. I would say yea., your really only going to see a gain in heavy multithreaded tasks anyways.

The ram specifications published are often their XMP profile settings, meaning that their base freq in the case of 3000kit memory should be 2133 if i'm not mistaken. If anything i would check the Specs for your ryzen chip as well. It should state what freq  of ram it supports best  as well and go from there. That being said it will just slow down faster ram if it doesn't support it. You just pay more for less.

4 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

It would work at 2933 even if it doesn't work at 3000.

Personally I'm running 3000 with my 2700X just fine.

3 minutes ago, TheKingOfSalt said:

The ram specifications published are often their XMP profile settings, meaning that their base freq in the case of 3000kit memory should be 2133 if i'm not mistaken. If anything i would check the Specs for your ryzen chip as well. It should state what freq  of ram it supports best  as well and go from there.

4 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

There are many over us that have ram that is rated for 3200mhz+, but can't get past 2933 or 3000. I would say yea., your really only going to see a gain in heavy multithreaded tasks anyways.

Alright, thanks for the advice!

4 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

There are many of us that have ram that is rated for 3200mhz+, but can't get past 2933 or 3000. I would say yea., your really only going to see a gain in heavy multithreaded tasks anyways.

i am assuming you are using Ryzen 1. Ryzen 2 should run at the rated speed of a kit up to 3200mhz.

4 minutes ago, TheKingOfSalt said:

That being said it will just slow down faster ram if it doesn't support it. You just pay more for less.

D.O.C.P is XMP overclocking. it should run as well as the kit is rated for, unless it Ryzen 1 which had issues above 2933mhz. also price between speeds are tiny these days.

6 minutes ago, TheKingOfSalt said:

The ram specifications published are often their XMP profile settings, meaning that their base freq in the case of 3000kit memory should be 2133 if i'm not mistaken. If anything i would check the Specs for your ryzen chip as well. It should state what freq  of ram it supports best  as well and go from there.

Ryzen 2000 officially supports up to 2933mhz, above is XMP which is stable almost regardless. 

3 minutes ago, Olvum said:

Alright, thanks for the advice!

any 3000/3200mhz kit of 2 sticks is fine for Ryzen systems. memmory issues were mostly resolved with Ryzen 1 through BIOS updates and pretty much completely resolved when Ryzen 2 came out.

@GoldenLag

You are correct but docp/axmp Is still broken on ryzen 2×××. I m not shooting down and ryzen processors, but 1xxx still feels alpha'ish and 2xxx is still beta in th greater scheme. Not to mention the hardwall at 4ghz cpu oc. 

But this is for another thread I guess.

Point being yes a 3000mhz kit should be fine

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

You are correct but docp/axmp Is still broken on ryzen 2×××

past 3200mhz i will agree its not very stable, though price goes up exponesually past that speeds aswell and i wouldnt recommend buying any faster speeds. (afaik cl14 3200mhz might have some issues compared to cl16 3200mhz, though not shure)

8 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Not to mention the hardwall at 4ghz cpu oc.

that was on Ryzen 1. Ryzen 2 is 4,2ghz. mostly related to how the effiency curve on glofo process is.

10 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Point being yes a 3000mhz kit should be fine

pretty much in the sweetspot of performance and cost. this sweetspot being 3000/3200mhz.