Upgrade causing FPS drops

Vakari
Go to solution Solved by narrdarr,

Only need to order more if you take it off...

check to see if it all the way down

Hi,

I recently upgraded from a 3rd generation i7 processor(5 years old) to the Ryzen 5 2600, along with a new b450 motherboard and new ram.
I did the upgrade because I am a competitive gamer on multiple teams and my old set up wasn't allowing me to keep a solid 144hz, and would drop to 130 or 120 often.
(For reference in each of these games I use the absolute lowest settings possible to try to push frames, all low or off.)

However since the upgrade I have had a much worse result. 

In Overwatch the longer I play the lower my fps goes, it starts out at 300 and within the first minute or 2 drops to 200, and by the 5th minute im struggling to keep 144hz 
and often getting drops to around 30, and 60. Another problem that occured sometimes was a sudden stutter in fps and audio simultaneously.

Previously I was also able to get around 90fps in blackops 4 now I am struggling to hold 30, on even lower and more optimized settings.

I have tried:
 - updating my bios
 - updating my Graphics card driver
 - XMP crashes my computer(at least on the default profile)
 - Defragging hard drive
 - Turning off XBOX DVR
 - Updating Windows (although every day I check and there's always more updates)
 - Changing my power plan to ultimate

My Build for reference:

Windows 10 64b version 1809(OS Build 1776.168)
600w Corsair PSU
GTX 1080ti
Ryzen 5 2600
CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz
GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI
222gb SSD with 21gb free
Running on Fiber Optics with an average 923mbps download

My core speed seems to run around 3500 for the ryzen
Ram is running at (DRAM which would be half) 1064.1MHZ
And no overheating in any of the listed components

I know you said theres no overheating in the components but what your describing sounds exactly like what someone may experience when there CPU has to throttle back from too much heat. I would try 2 or 3 monitoring softwares, and do a stress test on the CPU to see if you get consistent thermals across all 2 or 3 tests.

use proprietary drivers. 

amd4 is is still new so i still recommend installing drivers in order like the old days.

bios update

chipset driver update.

gpu driver

audio driver. 

then extra drivers 

docp/axmp/xmp never works for me on amd mobo i've always had to set ram OC setting myself

then i set my cpu  OC then gpu OC

22 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

I know you said theres no overheating in the components but what your describing sounds exactly like what someone may experience when there CPU has to throttle back from too much heat. I would try 2 or 3 monitoring softwares, and do a stress test on the CPU to see if you get consistent thermals across all 2 or 3 tests.

You're entirely right, the first program I used didnt catch it, the others are saying 95c for my cpu.

I can see the fan running in there and it came with preapplied thermal paste.

Why might it be running that high? 

image.png.587547bab6a739f281e451aa6cb65745.png

22 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

what cooler do you have?

default wraith

23 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

what cooler do you have?

it had thermal paste preapplied, do i need to order extra or something? or could I have installed the cooler itself wrong?

Just now, Vakari said:

default wraith

Im gonna ask the stupid question, because I think we've all done it. But, on the bottom of the cooler was likely a piece of plastic, did you remove it?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Look into an after market cooler with some thermal paste, they will give you better thermals on your CPU, and give you some room to overclock if you so choose.

Just now, SenpaiKaplan said:

Im gonna ask the stupid question, because I think we've all done it. But, on the bottom of the cooler was likely a piece of plastic, did you remove it?

this cooler doesn't come with the plastic on it

Just now, narrdarr said:

this cooler doesn't come with the plastic on it

It doesnt? Weird, but then that would point to poor Thermal Paste or mounting. I am going to disagree with RAM555789, the stock Wraith cooler is more than fine. Did you by chance plug the CPU fan into the CPU Fan header?

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

37 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Only need to order more if you take it off...

check to see if it all the way down

I reinstalled it, screwed it down tighter, that was it, clocking 50 average 70 at max now

45 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Look into an after market cooler with some thermal paste, they will give you better thermals on your CPU, and give you some room to overclock if you so choose.

As far as room to overclock, what does that usually look like? do you need to have something like 40c while gaming to be able to clock it up more?

51 minutes ago, Vakari said:

I reinstalled it, screwed it down tighter, that was it, clocking 50 average 70 at max now

na i recommend stay under 80c with a load. 

most people can hit 3.8-4.0ghz at 1.3-1.4v 

i didn't even try dialing in my OC. just quickly set up a 3.8ghz oc and my ram is 3000mhz. i think i can go farther but haven't tried.  

6 hours ago, Vakari said:

As far as room to overclock, what does that usually look like? do you need to have something like 40c while gaming to be able to clock it up more?

It really depends on what your shooting for. More voltage will result in higher temps, as long as its keeping in the mid to lower 80c under load you should be good.