Opteron for ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0

I am creating a computer (on the cheap) to use as a media/file server.  This is replacing my current "server" which is a Dell Dimension 8300 (a Pentium 4 machine).  I searched eBay for parts to make a machine as cheap a I could.  I knew wanted to use an AM3 or AM3+ CPU, so I got myself an ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 for a pretty good price.

For a CPU, I picked an AMD Opteron 1389.  It's an AM3 CPU and only cost me $15.  Checking the CPU compatibility list at https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_CPU, I didn't see this chip listed (I see other Opteron chips which I cannot find on eBay) but I see other similar Athlon II X4 and Phenom II X4 chips.  Anyway, I tried the Opteron 1389 and the system would not POST, I got POST code 62.  Unless this is a RAM issue, I think it's the CPU (I'm using DDR3-1333 RAM).

I found an AMD FX-4100 for like $20, so I can get that to make sure the system boots and is on the latest BIOS.  But, my question is there a way to mod/update the BIOS to support "unsupported" chips?  There's an Opteron 3365 that I was considering "upgrading" to, is there a chance that will work?  The 3365 is at least an AM3+ CPU.