My Seagate Barracuda SSHD 1 TB died without any signs...help

Antoine Kamarovszki

First off I'd like to tell you guys NOT to buy a piece of junk like this: "Seagate Barracuda SSHD 1 TB". Do youself a massive favor... avoid buying Seagate stuff because mine just died after ~2 years without any sign.

It did not make strange noises, nor did it slow down, nothing. I'm sitting at my desk, turn my PC on; the BIOS splash screen takes longer than usual but it eventually reaches the Windows loading screen, which also takes a lot more time than expected. When I get to log in, the drive just isn't there, not even in Disk Manager. It's completely gone. So I reboot my rig to see what's cracking. I'd enter BIOS but when I spam F2 the only thing I see is a black screen with a cursor blinking on the upper left corner and my mouse. I restart again and find myself repeating the same thing. After a few attempts, when it finally lets me into the BIOS menu I realize that the SSHD drive's nowhere to be found: it vanished.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- reseated the drive by pulling the sata cables in / out

- swapped sata slots to make sure my motherboard connectors aren't the source of this problem

- changed sata cables (tried 3 different cables) to make sure it wasn't caused by the cables, probably due to damage or something

- pulled out every other drives including USB drives

- Removed the drive, proceeded to connect it to my laptop (it uses sata so it should have worked) but BIOS did not recognize the drive

So...pretty much it's a drive failure but is there a way to retrieve data from that? 

My motherboard: Gigabyze GA-Z97X Gaming 7

PSU: CX430W

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3

CPU: i5-4460 3.2GHz

I don't know what else to try. How can a hard drive just give up without signs, like instantly? I never dropped it...it was fine then all of a sudden it just dies....what the hell?

well, there's a reason they give 2 years of warrenty. Some people are lucky and some aren't. My barracuda is still going strong after 5 years, and some others even 20 years

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, there's a reason they give 2 years of warrenty. Some people are lucky and some aren't. My barracuda is still going strong after 5 years, and some others even 20 years

Lucky? Really? Yeah I guess I wasn't because I lost 700gb of data, man...

1 minute ago, Antoine Kamarovszki said:

Lucky? Really? Yeah I guess I wasn't because I lost 700gb of data, man...

yeah, that thing probebly died. is it actually spinning up?

also, you could go get it to a data recovery centre, but that won't be cheap

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, that thing probebly died. is it actually spinning up?

also, you could go get it to a data recovery centre, but that won't be cheap

I think it does but I'll check again. Btw, what if it's spinning up? It means it can be saved or what?

Just now, Antoine Kamarovszki said:

I think it does but I'll check again. Btw, what if it's spinning up? It means it can be saved or what?

not sure, but it says it is actually powered. so maybe. but it's mostly to know some more... also, tell me if you hear anything scratch or something

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not sure, but it says it is actually powered. so maybe. but it's mostly to know some more... also, tell me if you hear anything scratch or something

Ok I booted up with the drive. No scratches, it is spinning but Windows and BIOS can't see it. 

1 minute ago, Antoine Kamarovszki said:

Ok I booted up with the drive. No scratches, it is spinning but Windows and BIOS can't see it. 

also no ticks or something?

9 minutes ago, Antoine Kamarovszki said:

So...pretty much it's a drive failure but is there a way to retrieve data from that? 

From what you've described, I would guess that it was likely the controller that died If you send it off to a data recovery centre they will most likely be able to recover most of the data off the drive. You should contact data recover service centres to get a quote for how much it will cost.

18 minutes ago, Antoine Kamarovszki said:

avoid buying Seagate stuff because mine just died after ~2 years without any sign.

The Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHD comes with 5 years warranty, so contact Seagate Support and see if they are able to offer any assistance such as a RMA (though this won't help you get any data back). I know that Seagate provide data recovery service plans with "Pro" series HDDs, but I'm not sure if they have a data recovery centre in house or if they outsource. You might be able to get a quote from Seagate for data recovery though.
@seagate_surfer

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

LOL, WTF. The drive's back. I restarted PC 20 times now and it's back...what issue do you guys think this refers to? I'm kind of thinking that it has to do something with power and not the sata part.

Please answer the highlighted question it's important to me :(

1 hour ago, Antoine Kamarovszki said:

LOL, WTF. The drive's back. I restarted PC 20 times now and it's back...what issue do you guys think this refers to? I'm kind of thinking that it has to do something with power and not the sata part.

Please answer the highlighted question it's important to me :(

Probebly a broken controller. I would back it up while you can

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Probebly a broken controller. I would back it up while you can

Doing it right now.

We do! We have internal data recovery, in case you are interested, I will paste the link below so you can contact us and request more information:

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

From what you've described, I would guess that it was likely the controller that died If you send it off to a data recovery centre they will most likely be able to recover most of the data off the drive. You should contact data recover service centres to get a quote for how much it will cost.

The Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHD comes with 5 years warranty, so contact Seagate Support and see if they are able to offer any assistance such as a RMA (though this won't help you get any data back). I know that Seagate provide data recovery service plans with "Pro" series HDDs, but I'm not sure if they have a data recovery centre in house or if they outsource. You might be able to get a quote from Seagate for data recovery though.
@seagate_surfer

@Antoine Kamarovszki Please check the following link, it will let you know if the drive is still under warranty:

9 hours ago, Antoine Kamarovszki said:

First off I'd like to tell you guys NOT to buy a piece of junk like this: "Seagate Barracuda SSHD 1 TB". Do youself a massive favor... avoid buying Seagate stuff because mine just died after ~2 years without any sign.

It did not make strange noises, nor did it slow down, nothing. I'm sitting at my desk, turn my PC on; the BIOS splash screen takes longer than usual but it eventually reaches the Windows loading screen, which also takes a lot more time than expected. When I get to log in, the drive just isn't there, not even in Disk Manager. It's completely gone. So I reboot my rig to see what's cracking. I'd enter BIOS but when I spam F2 the only thing I see is a black screen with a cursor blinking on the upper left corner and my mouse. I restart again and find myself repeating the same thing. After a few attempts, when it finally lets me into the BIOS menu I realize that the SSHD drive's nowhere to be found: it vanished.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- reseated the drive by pulling the sata cables in / out

- swapped sata slots to make sure my motherboard connectors aren't the source of this problem

- changed sata cables (tried 3 different cables) to make sure it wasn't caused by the cables, probably due to damage or something

- pulled out every other drives including USB drives

- Removed the drive, proceeded to connect it to my laptop (it uses sata so it should have worked) but BIOS did not recognize the drive

My motherboard: Gigabyze GA-Z97X Gaming 7

PSU: CX430W

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3

CPU: i5-4460 3.2GHz

I don't know what else to try. How can a hard drive just give up without signs, like instantly? I never dropped it...it was fine then all of a sudden it just dies....what the hell?

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming