AMD monitor with an nvidia card

Korepavore

so i recently bought an acer monitor without realizing it was made for an AMD card because i wasnt aware monitors are made for specific cards, im kinda new to this, i have a 1050 ti in my pc, when i plug in my hdmi cable to the gpu it runs terrible, much much worse than when i had it set up the same way with a 22 inch tv i was using in place as a monitor. but when i plug in the hdmi cable into the mobo it runs fine, i can run overwatch at 1080p on ultra but the frame rate is capped at 60 even though i have it set to my monitors refresh rate which is 144htz. did i fuck up big time by getting an AMD monitor or is there a way to fix this?

*PRO TIP* neon lights do in fact make your rig faster!

Just now, Korepavore said:

so i recently bought an acer monitor without realizing it was made for an AMD card because i wasnt aware monitors are made for specific cards, im kinda new to this, i have a 1050 ti in my pc, when i plug in my hdmi cable to the gpu it runs terrible, much much worse than when i had it set up the same way with a 22 inch tv i was using in place as a monitor. but when i plug in the hdmi cable into the mobo it runs fine, i can run overwatch at 1080p on ultra but the frame rate is capped at 60 even though i have it set to my monitors refresh rate which is 144htz. did i fuck up big time by getting an AMD monitor or is there a way to fix this?

You can't enable Freesync with an Nvidia GPU anyways, so this should have zero impact on your performance. You didn't buy the wrong thing, you just can't use Freesync, so your monitor will always be capped to it's max refresh rate or whatever you choose to set it at. If you can, try running the display through a Displayport cable instead as your monitor should have included one. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you for why you're receiving a performance hit.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

1 minute ago, leo1798 said:

You can't enable Freesync with an Nvidia GPU anyways, so this should have zero impact on your performance. You didn't buy the wrong thing, you just can't use Freesync, so your monitor will always be capped to it's max refresh rate or whatever you choose to set it at. If you can, try running the display through a Displayport cable instead as your monitor should have included one. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you for why you're receiving a performance hit.

I agree with this. The 1050Ti might just have choppy 144Hz performance, which would explain the performance hit.

I run a FreeSync panel at 75Hz with my GTX 780 without problems.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, Korepavore said:

It's not like the monitor is designed only for AMD cards. It has one feature (FreeSync) which only works on AMD cards. It just means that one feature won't work if you don't have an AMD card. It will still work like any normal monitor if you have an NVIDIA card.

What game at what settings? The 1050ti you're running might just not be able to run whatever you're playing at a constant or near 144fps.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

my mobo doesnt have a display cable port, the monitor came with one but i looked for around back there and didnt see anything. ill check again tomorrow i suppose

28 minutes ago, leo1798 said:

my mobo doesnt have a display cable port, the monitor came with one but i looked for around back there and didnt see anything. ill check again tomorrow i suppose

1 minute ago, Korepavore said:

It should be on your GPU if anywhere; it would actually be odd for your GPU not to have one.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

3 minutes ago, Korepavore said:

you should connect the disply port cable to your 1050ti not the motherboard

2 hours ago, 3lii said:

you should connect the disply port cable to your 1050ti not the motherboard

i just did, it didnt improve anything, strange

13 hours ago, Korepavore said:

It seems like you are using an older generation of HDMI that only supports up to 60hz. Try using DisplayPort

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 1:07 PM, immaguy1234 said:

It seems like you are using an older generation of HDMI that only supports up to 60hz. Try using DisplayPort

ive tried an HDMI and the display cable that came with the monitor, still no change, really disappointed. but hey, at least i upgraded from a 20 inch 720p tv to a 24 inch 1080p 144hz monitor thats capped at 60htz, all that for just 200$ what a deal!