Scientists have found a way to chemically reverse (If only partially) senescence

givingtnt

i predict the rich will live forever and the poor keep dying like nothing changed. maybe that is a good thing if the rich keep living maybe they will put more energy into keeping the planet alive ?.

6 hours ago, kilgore_T said:

no need to worry, if extended or indefinite life is ever possible it will be only available for the super rich

us peasants wont get near it...though i think it will make for a great reality tv show...poor folks compete for extra life...see them jump and fall and roll over

thats not really how things work ? especially for something like this. 
You can bet people would kill for acess to this. Witch is quite ironic tbh xD 

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Firstly you are assuming that this research is going to end up being usable as well as there being a way to control the procedure. 

Do you even read posts before commenting ?

To quote myself in the OP

11 hours ago, givingtnt said:

Now, don't go crazy with what's about to follow, this is pretty good news, yes. but nothing to go crazy about just yet.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

This could be useful for space exploration where our short lifespan is an issue.

6 hours ago, Sithon1 said:

I don't know if someone answered this already but, there is a way to reset the telomeres. It's called telomerase a by product of cancer .  I seem to remember some studies being done a few years ago. The real question is even if you could do it , should you do it? I bet if they ever found a way to reset telomeres on a body scale the tech would be disappeared by governments that recognize we already have too many people. It would be like throwing gasoline on an already worsening house fire.

Yes but there is good reason that cells die off after a certain number of divisions. Not all DNA replication is perfect, and over time a cell (and it's "children") will have accumulated errors. When a cell gets old enough, these errors are likely to produce a cancerous cell.

In order to get a normal cell to "live" forever you'd have to replace the DNA with undamaged DNA every time the telomeres got too short.