PC Build Suggestion (in India)

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,
Just now, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Thanks for that. Are there anymore suggestions on my build?

Not much, it will suffice for sure, it's just not any dream build.

At least with a solid b360 motherboard you can get an i7 8700 someday alongside a better GPU like a GTX 1070 still using that PSU, like you have upgrade path... if your work demand increases next year.

Hello,

I am planning to build a new pc which will be a family pc and I want suggestions for the components. I am listing the possible general use of the pc below.

(I have a 2TB external hard drive with USB 3.0.)

1. Lots of Media consumption - both online and offline(vlc).

2. Office works in excel, word, access and powerpoint.

3. Light video editing in Premiere cc and photo editing in Photoshop cc along with editing Pdfs in adobe acrobat.

4. Screen capture in obs studio(but not for streaming).

5. Coding in python and maybe in C# in future.

6. Multitasking (at least 1,2,4,5 simultaneously).

I wish to build this pc to tackle the above mentioned task quite potently for the next 5 years. 

About Gaming - I haven't been playing games for the past year and half because my current computer has a 2nd gen i3 without any external graphics card and a 4gb ddr3 ram. But I may play few of them if my computer supports it.

The monitor I currently use is a 720p 60Hz LCD monitor I may upgrade it to a 1080p 60/90Hz next year or so.

Budget: Not more than 500 USD (₹ 35,000),

The build I thought which is out of budget - 

Ryzen 5 2600 -                                                                    230 USD

B450m motherboard -                                                           90 USD

8gb ram -                                                                               70 USD

120GB SSD sata/m.2 -                                                    28/35 USD

450Watt power supply -                                                        35 USD

Cheap case with front and back fans -                                 20 USD

GT 1030 -                                                                           100 USD

Total -                                                                                  580 USD (*All prices including taxes)

Thank you guys in advance for your suggestions.

Edited by tobeornottobealttfan

3 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Buy a laptop with an i7, or 8th gen i5 which is also 4 cores 8 threads on the i5 8300h model anyways

Otherwise you only need like an R3 2200G to do all of that and a $300 PC, wouldn't suggest a GT 1030 in general anymore.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

16 gigs of ram, a nice case, solid psu, better ssd and a good enough cpu.

Just now, Streetguru said:

Buy a laptop with an i7

Otherwise you only need like an R3 2200G to do all of that and a $300 PC, wouldn't suggest a GT 1030 in general anymore.

Thanks for that but a laptop may be inconvenient as a family computer since family members can take it with them when others may need it.
Also currently the i7 prices are flared up in India.
Can you specify the specs of that $300 PC or a link?

2 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Thanks for that but a laptop may be inconvenient as a family computer since family members can take it with them when others may need it.
Also currently the i7 prices are flared up in India.
Can you specify the specs of that $300 PC or a link?

I have no idea what parts/pricing is in india

You could also just find a used business machine with an i7 2000 or better on the cheap

Otherwise look for an R3 2200G with an ASrock Pro 4 or MSI Tomahawk B450 board since they have VRM heatsinks on both VRMs

And get 2800mhz or better memory for the APU. 16GBs of it if you never want to worry about it.

Save the rest of the money for a future Ryzen 3000 CPU(or cheap R7 1700) and Navi GPU, or like a used 980ti or something.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

The suggestions are excellent but mostly the prices in India are flared up so much that either it is getting out of my budget or some hardwares are so close to the ones mentioned in the post but have a significant decrease in performance.
For example at first I thought of a 8th gen i3 or a Ryzen 2400g but the ryzen 2600 has only $20 more and has 2 more cores.

The suggestions are excellent but mostly the prices in India are flared up so much that either it is getting out of my budget or some hardwares are so close to the ones mentioned in the post but have a significant decrease in performance.
For example at first I thought of a 8th gen i3 or a Ryzen 2200g but the ryzen 2600 has only $20 more and has 2 more cores.

i3 and 2400g have flared up prices due to popularity. Same thing with the 2600x and i5(both 7th and 8th gen).

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

16 gigs of ram, a nice case, solid psu, better ssd and a good enough cpu.

What about the graphics card?
2200g has an inbuild graphics but would that be all for my use?

7 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

What about the graphics card?
2200g has an inbuild graphics but would that be all for my use?

well, don't expect too much from it. but it is pretty good actually. for just casual esports it will do just fine

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

well, don't expect too much from it. but it is pretty good actually. for just casual esports it will do just fine

What about premiere, light editing?

well, I don't really work in premiere. so I can't tell you. but for the other workloads I'm sure it will do pretty well. maybe @Princess Cadence knows?

4 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

Any thing Adobe works twice as better on Intel Coffee Lake than it does on Ryzen.

Adobe can use the iGPU for hardware acceleration which furthers improve its performance while the Ryzen's APU is useless for any hardware acceleration there.

If this is for any meaningful actually professional work you should put together an i5 8400 on the cheapest b360 chipset motherboard you can find and an entry level GTX 1050 would provide you pretty much all the performance you need while staying relevant for long enough.

If you feel this is completely off your budget but this was for actual professional work where'd you profit from this then you have to either reconsider your profession or then just accept your performance when doing the actual work will be very poor and it'll consume you a lot of time and give you headaches with the slow downs.

I'd still prefer the i3 8100 over the 2200G considering every thing you mentioned but without CUDA Acceleration from a dedicated GPU as mentioned you'll have quite the crippled system for part of your workloads.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Any thing Adobe works twice as better on Intel Coffee Lake than it does on Ryzen.

Adobe can use the iGPU for hardware acceleration which furthers improve its performance while the Ryzen's APU is useless for any hardware acceleration there.

If this is for any meaningful actually professional work you should put together an i5 8400 on the cheapest b360 chipset motherboard you can find and an entry level GTX 1050 would provide you pretty much all the performance you need while staying relevant for long enough.

If you feel this is completely off your budget but this was for actual professional work where'd you profit from this then you have to either reconsider your profession or then just accept your performance when doing the actual work will be very poor and it'll consume you a lot of time and give you headaches with the slow downs.

I'd still prefer the i3 8100 over the 2200G considering every thing you mentioned but without CUDA Acceleration from a dedicated GPU as mentioned you'll have quite the crippled system for part of your workloads.

If I get a dedicated gpu with the i3 what would be your recommendation?

The video editing is more of a personal hobbie than it is professional(95-5).

4 minutes ago, tobeornottobealttfan said:

?

The i3 8100 and GTX 1050 is fine, if you can find a second hand GTX 950 or GTX 960 it works too.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The i3 8100 and GTX 1050 is fine, if you can find a second hand GTX 950 or GTX 960 it works too.

At least with a solid b360 motherboard you can get an i7 8700 someday alongside a better GPU like a GTX 1070 still using that PSU, like you have upgrade path... if your work demand increases next year.

Personal Desktop":

Thank you again but since this is the family pc and I am the most heaviest user, I am just thinking of passing my workload's eligibility criteria.
I may build another one for myself in two or three years.