Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with new WiFi/ BT card

bs17
 Share

Hello, I am currently building my first pc and had a question about my wifi card.  I received it in the mail and unfortunately, it came with no instructions.  It came with a package of screws and the wires that extend from where I would screw on the antenna are not connected to anything and I was wondering if this was supposed to be like this or if I had to use the screws to somehow secure them to the main part.

 

Help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0295.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

you put the antennas in front on where those yellow things are. don't forget to take those off first

Yes, I understand that part, I was wondering specifically in regards to the cable coming from where I would screw in the antennas.  Are the cables not supposed to be attached to anything?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something tells me that you want to build a Hackintosh, don't you? Because that adapter is ONLY intended for the Apple proprietary connector, rather than NGFF (M.2) or CNVi.

Anyway, first your WiFi card should slide into proprietary connector marked "CN1" at an angle and secured by screw. Consult your card type to select the correct screw hole.

The golden connectors on the back bracket are the SMA connectors and they connect to the antennas. Check the polarity (whether it has a pin or a hole) before installing the antenna, otherwise you risk damaging the components.

The three signal wires has the IPX (Hirose U.FL) connector. The should connect to IPX socket the WiFi card.

In addition, you will need a USB dongle to connect socket "CN2" to a motherboard USB header for the Bluetooth to be functional.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, bs17 said:

Yes, I understand that part, I was wondering specifically in regards to the cable coming from where I would screw in the antennas.  Are the cables not supposed to be attached to anything?

oh, in that way. they are. to a wifi card you should have included (or not). normally those are from broadwell, intel or azurewave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Something tells me that you want to build a Hackintosh, don't you? Because that adapter is ONLY intended for the Apple proprietary connector, rather than NGFF (M.2) or CNVi.

Anyway, first your WiFi card should slide into proprietary connector marked "CN1" at an angle and secured by screw. Consult your card type to select the correct screw hole.

The golden connectors on the back bracket are the SMA connectors and they connect to the antennas. Check the polarity (whether it has a pin or a hole) before installing the antenna, otherwise you risk damaging the components.

The three signal wires has the IPX (Hirose U.FL) connector. The should connect to IPX socket the WiFi card.

In addition, you will need a USB dongle to connect socket "CN2" to a motherboard USB header for the Bluetooth to be functional.

Where do I plug the three signal wires into?  Also I was under the impression that I only needed to plug this into one of my PCI E slots, plug it into the USB header and I would be good to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

oh, in that way. they are. to a wifi card you should have included (or not). normally those are from broadwell, intel or azurewave

Ok so there is a piece that I am missing?  This is all that it came with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bs17 said:

Ok so there is a piece that I am missing?  This is all that it came with.

there is. you need a wifi card. it looks a bit like this for example (needed connector may differ)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor wifi card

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

there is. you need a wifi card. it looks a bit like this for example (needed connector may differ)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor wifi card

Well that is unfortunate.  Would I be better off buying this chip and adding it to what I now see is the adapter for the actual wifi card?  Or would I be better off getting something with it already incorporated like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM943602CS-1750Mbps-802-11ac-Wireless-PCi-Express-WiFi-Adapter-BT4-0-/292413428719 ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bs17 said:

Where do I plug the three signal wires into?  Also I was under the impression that I only needed to plug this into one of my PCI E slots, plug it into the USB header and I would be good to go.

You will need a proprietary AirPort Wireless Card for this adapter. The Wireless card is sold separately.

Assuming you got the correct card (using BCM943602CS as an example.) The three signal wires with IPX connector will connect to the three IPX sockets on the Card, marked by red circles.

image.thumb.png.31eff81283daca4a65f9ab35c6a961f0.png

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SkyHound0202 said:

You will need a proprietary AirPort Wireless Card for this adapter. The Wireless card is sold separately.

Assuming you got the correct card (using BCM943602CS as an example.) The three signal wires with IPX connector will connect to the three IPX sockets on the Card, marked by red circles.

image.thumb.png.31eff81283daca4a65f9ab35c6a961f0.png

Ok thank you very much.  Would I be better off doing this or getting an adapter with the card already included?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bs17 said:

Ok thank you very much.  Would I be better off doing this or getting an adapter with the card already included?

As far as I can tell, what you've got is incomplete.

You have not purchase a wireless card. The adapter you received is not intended for normal M.2 wireless cards. Further more, the seller did not provide you the USB cable for Bluetooth to work. Making matter worse, Apple proprietary cards are expensive.

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

There are 3 options

1) get the needed wifi card

2) get a new one with a card included

3) get a usb wifi adapter

 

The choise is yours

Make your choice.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

There are 3 options

1) get the needed wifi card

2) get a new one with a card included

3) get a usb wifi adapter

 

The choise is yours

 

1 hour ago, SkyHound0202 said:

As far as I can tell, what you've got is incomplete.

You have not purchase a wireless card. The adapter you received is not intended for normal M.2 wireless cards. Further more, the seller did not provide you the USB cable for Bluetooth to work. Making matter worse, Apple proprietary cards are expensive.

Make your choice.

Ok, thank you both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×