Windows 10 - Dark Theme

Hi P

Personalization settings are only available to users with an active Windows license.

I don't have it, so I was wondering, is there any 3rd party program to achieve a dark theme in windows? (to reduce eyestrain)

So you're asking for a way to get around restrictions put on users without a license to use the OS? 

Isn't it fairly new? I feel like a program to achieve such a thing would take a little longer.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

So you're asking for a way to get around restrictions put on users without a license to use the OS? 

No, he's asking if there are any other programs that can do it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

No, he's asking if there are any other programs that can do it.

in order to get around......a restriction........that a licensed os wouldnt have

find a free licence online (ileagal)

^ I am not responsible for any legal action taken against you

You can Skin your OS.

Though im unshure if you can do that without having access to full windows. 

Also you can turn down the brightness on your monitor or use read mode to remove a little blue light from the monitor

9 minutes ago, saksham said:

find a free licence online (ileagal)

^ I am not responsible for any legal action taken against you

If you think Microsoft would go after this guy for pirating Windows you're nuts. If they cared that much there would be a lot of people getting fucked over lmao

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

in order to get around......a restriction........that a licensed os wouldnt have

Maybe he wants more features or doesn't like the built-in Windows dark theme.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

12 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

If you think Microsoft would go after this guy for pirating Windows you're nuts. If they cared that much there would be a lot of people getting fucked over lmao

I think the fact is that it's hard to enforce. If someone's using a pirated windows copy, did THEY install it? Or did they buy it with the pirated windows already installed? Are people responsible for making sure their OS isn't pirated when they buy a computer? Can you say the same about a non-technical user who can barely navigate to facebook? 

I mean, there are PLENTY of sites online that sell shady/pirated/illegal keys in perfectly legitimate marketplaces (ebay, amazon). 

Then there's the method of pirating itself. I'm pretty sure most modern pirating methods block network access to microsoft's activation servers, so... I'm unsure how microsoft would tell anyway. Hell, some methods may even GENERATE legitimate keys in so far as microsoft THINKS it's legal because it has no other way to tell. 

Thirdly, there's the fact that, even IF microsoft knew a copy of windows was pirated, it's still in their best interest to let the user update the computer for security reasons. No one will care if a copy of windows is pirated or not if it causes a security breach in some big company somewhere. 

Personally, I find the way of "licensing" windows is dog shit. If I buy a license of windows, I should be allowed to use it on as many computers as I want, provided I don't use them simultaneously. This is how nice companies license their products. Therefore, the one license of windows 7 I bought years and years ago I still could use now. And sure, I think you can do something similar to this, but they make it just such a pain in the ass so that for most people it's not worth it. 

37 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

20 minutes ago, emosun said:

No to both... I wasn't looking for a 3rd party program to bypass the restriction, I was looking for an alternative to achieve something similar to dark theme, I wasn't aware OS Skins were a thing :)

54 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Personalization settings are only available to users with an active Windows license.

I don't have it, so I was wondering, is there any 3rd party program to achieve a dark theme in windows? (to reduce eyestrain)

windows dark mode doesn't make everything darker, i still have a light tabs on my chrome, but i can skin it inside chrome.

Dark mode doesn't help you reduce eyestrain, you're still seeing light pages in most apps.

All the darker tabs and taskbar only takes 10% of the screen.

Windows OEM keys is cheap right now, if personalisation is very important to you don't you go find those cheap key.

Trust me cracking windows is not worth it. The crack may contain some virus / backdoor.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I think the fact is that it's hard to enforce. If someone's using a pirated windows copy, did THEY install it? Or did they buy it with the pirated windows already installed? Are people responsible for making sure their OS isn't pirated when they buy a computer? Can you say the same about a non-technical user who can barely navigate to facebook? 

I mean, there are PLENTY of sites online that sell shady/pirated/illegal keys in perfectly legitimate marketplaces (ebay, amazon). 

Then there's the method of pirating itself. I'm pretty sure most modern pirating methods block network access to microsoft's activation servers, so... I'm unsure how microsoft would tell anyway. Hell, some methods may even GENERATE legitimate keys in so far as microsoft THINKS it's legal because it has no other way to tell. 

Thirdly, there's the fact that, even IF microsoft knew a copy of windows was pirated, it's still in their best interest to let the user update the computer for security reasons. No one will care if a copy of windows is pirated or not if it causes a security breach in some big company somewhere. 

Personally, I find the way of "licensing" windows is dog shit. If I buy a license of windows, I should be allowed to use it on as many computers as I want, provided I don't use them simultaneously. This is how nice companies license their products. Therefore, the one license of windows 7 I bought years and years ago I still could use now. And sure, I think you can do something similar to this, but they make it just such a pain in the ass so that for most people it's not worth it. 

Not to mention that on top of this, I doubt the legal fees of trying to smash some random dude into the ground will be worth it for a piece of software under 200 bucls.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Not to mention that on top of this, I doubt the legal fees of trying to smash some random dude into the ground will be worth it for a piece of software under 200 bucls.

The funny thing is, piracy isn't just in the home use sector. Probably 50% of the PCs I see on lab equipment have pirated windows. 

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

windows dark mode doesn't make everything darker, i still have a light tabs on my chrome, but i can skin it inside chrome.

Dark mode doesn't help you reduce eyestrain, you're still seeing light pages in most apps.

Yea I know, but I already have dark themes on my other apps, like you mentioned in Chrome, I use the "Stylish" add-on to skin other websites, the only thing that bothers me its the white on Windows File Explorer

Contrary to your asumption that dark theme will reduce eyestrain, the fact is the opposite, reading dark text in a white background is better than bright text in dark background because the iris have to be wide open to receive more light. this will cause eyestrain faster. Your room brightness also come into play, in a bright room, its better to have bright screen vice versa. If the room brightness is in contrast with your screen the iris will have to adjust frequently. this caused eyestrain.

However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.

Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis

People with astigmatism (approximately 50% of the population) find it harder to read white text on black than black text on white. Part of this has to do with light levels: with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the "deformed" lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.

Jason Harrison – Post Doctoral Fellow, Imager Lab Manager – Sensory Perception and Interaction Research Group, University of British Columbia

source : https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w