overclocking xeon on x58

Brockm

Post them specs and oc setups!

Im getting 4.4ghz on a x5650 with 1.6v. Thats alot I know, but this Asus supercomputer mobo with the ov jumped enabled goes to 1.9v!
been running it for a bit and so far so stable! happy with my 14$ 6c/12t cpu! 

Just now, Snipergod87 said:

1.6v? thats rather insane, for long time use i would't go over 1.4v

Like I said this board is designed for high voltage

Just now, Snipergod87 said:

1.6v? thats rather insane, for long time use i would't go over 1.4v

Yep. Just because you can do 1.6v doesn't always mean you should. 

But as long as the OC is stable, I see no issue with 1.6v.

1.6v is definitely way way way too much for 4.4ghz, Intel spec is 1.35 for the QPI/VTT and vcore. I didn't even need 1.5v to boot at 5ghz for a cpu-z validation on my X5675.

The IMC is known for degrading if you exceed 1.35v on the QPI and is highly not recommended for daily use. I run 23x200(4.6ghz) at 1.4v stable and I used to run almost as low as 1.375v, most of those jumpers will never need to be used unless you're using going to like LN2 anyways. You definitely have the capacity to hurt the cpu long before hitting the stock bios limits.

There's a fairly large thread around for X58 and xeons, there's a ton of good info in there and a few members do some really awesome stuff ranging from dry ice overclocking to acquiring cool old hardware like the EVGA SR2.

So I couldnt get passed 3.6ghz with 1.4v It is a used boarded and chip. could just been worn out? 

I mean its a 14$ cpu. so I dont expect for long term use. Its staying cool at 60c under full load 

7 minutes ago, Brockm said:

This board is designed to run high voltage that will kill CPUs before you can say no, all boards are like this to varying extent.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

9 minutes ago, Brockm said:

That doesn't mean the CPU is designed for that though.

Again, just because you can do things doesn't mean you should :) 

It's possible it could be a dud, sometimes you'll just encounter base clock holes or multipliers that the cpu just doesn't like. I've always seemed to have decent luck getting fairly round numbers but my X5660 didn't like more than 191x23 and my X5675 doesn't like more than 200x23, I can add upto 1.5v and they don't become any more stable any higher. Unfortunately that's the problem with these xeons is that you don't have full control over the multiplier to be able to work around frequencies so all of your multipliers can be tweaked.

I needed just over 1.2v to reach 4ghz and the stock voltage for a stock westmere at 3.6ghz definitely doesn't exceed 1.2v AFAIK. 60c sounds really suspicious at 1.6v, I hit like 90c by 1.45v and I'm probably sucking down like 250w by then. I'm curious if you're actually getting your full voltages and speeds.

If you want to buy another really cheap cpu to test with, the E5649 goes for next to nothing and it's a later production cpu so I'd imagine it's probably binned better than X5650's. The multipliers kinda suck though but 4.4ghz should be easy. It's hard to not recommend just dropping $25 on a X5675 though since those are the safest bet for the most performance.

The supercomputer really isn't an overclocking board though, it's an enthusiast workstation board for slamming a bunch of video cards into. The power delivery great but there's definitely far better boards for overclocking. The NF200 chips also reduce performance a little bit compared to a standard board, HardOCP found like a 2-3% decrease in performance in most games because of them. I nearly picked one up second hand though just because it's a much nicer board than I'm currently using. I just couldn't justify spending money for mostly atheistics that could maybe decrease my performance.

Just now, Slayer3032 said:

It's possible it could be a dud, sometimes you'll just encounter like base clock holes or multipliers that the cpu just doesn't like though. Unfortunately that's the problem with these xeons is that you don't have full control over the multiplier to be able to work around frequencies so all of your multipliers can be tweaked.

I needed just over 1.2v to reach 4ghz and the stock voltage for a stock westmere at 3.6ghz definitely doesn't exceed 1.2v AFAIK. 60c sounds really suspicious at 1.6v, I hit like 90c by 1.45v and I'm probably sucking down like 250w by then.

If you want to buy another really cheap cpu to test with, the E5649 goes for next to nothing and it's a later production cpu so I'd imagine it's probably binned better than X5650's. The multipliers kinda suck though but 4.4ghz should be easy.

The supercomputer really isn't an overclocking board though, it's an enthusiast workstation board for slamming a bunch of video cards into. The power delivery great but there's definitely far better boards for overclocking. The NF200 chips also reduce performance a little bit compared to a standard board, HardOCP found like a 2-3% decrease in performance in most games because of them. I nearly picked one up second hand though just because it's a much nicer board than I'm currently using. I just couldn't justify spending money for mostly atheistics that could maybe decrease my performance.

Thank you very much for the useful info! dually noted! yea I got the board on ebay for 110$. for x58 it was the cheapest I could find that wasnt the cheap china brand boards. Im running evga 360 AIO with 6 3000 rpm fans on it all pull air in. Ill post some screen shots in a bit.

$110 for a P6T Supercomputer is an absolute steal, that's a lot of cooling for these old cpus, I'm using an NH-D14 which isn no slouch but it's definitely not a top end AIO or custom loop.

I'd definitely just reroll on a X5675 since with that cooler your build isn't like a highly budget constrained build, some X5650's pull some insane numbers but that's surely the minority. There's tons of people in the X58 thread who break 1000 in Cinebench, I'm around 1051cb with the settings I'm running now on the ram and Uncore. There's also a bunch of people with NVMe's, 1080Ti's and even some RTX cards with benchmarks at least. There's tons of potential to be unlocked with that board, people have found really cost effective methods of using Sata 3 raid cards to replace the junk Marvell Sata 3 controllers which were added to many X58 boards which perform worse than the Intel chipset Sata 2.

Since benchmarks are always fun.

1076cb.PNG

firestriek.PNG

These CPUs degrade really quickly at voltages that high, it doesn't matter that the board is able to supply said voltage. I've tested it myself with a properly cooled Xeon and it only took 3 days for noticeable degradation to appear at 1.55V. My daily CPU can do 4.5 at 1.35V, but the best one I've had myself was an E5620 that did some benches at 4.7/1.3V, but that one is kind of a unicorn.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W