PewDiePie fans strike yet again, Sonos speakers hacked.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

It's not hard.

1) Find some device you want to exploit, like Sonos.

2) Google and find the default port used for web management, as well as the default login information.

Depends on the country, but for example the UK has a law which makes it illegal to access computer material which you are unauthorized to access.

Other countries have similar laws in the vein of "knowingly accessing systems you are not authorized to view is illegal".

Most of the time the law states that you have to have broken some kind of layer of defense to be punishable (in my country it does). This could include brute force attacks or even just using default login information. 

I'm curious to whether it is illegal what happened with the Sonos devices, as I mentioned earlier I don't need any login information (so not even a default password) to get to the setup and control pages of my Sonos devices at home and all I have to do is type in it's IP.  This means that if your port is open or your router is in bridge, there in theory is not a single layer of defense and you could in theory just control it by changing some URL's. Is this even hacking?

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Just a heads up, changing the "default IP" of your router adds no extra layer of protection. Run ipconfig in cmd, scroll until you find "Default Gateway". That will be the router's IP. Your computer needs this information (and your router/DHCP server) willingly provides it to anyone who connects to your network. Otherwise devices on the network wouldn't know where to send packets addressed to the Internet. 

I still have so much to learn, appreciate the clarification!