Next-Generation Console or new PC build?

Max Eckhardt

Well if you did feel the need to upgrade then yes i would follow the others and say wait for the next Ryzens.

As others stated your card is more than enough to keep up with the PS5 and Xboxtwo (who knows what the hell Microsoft will call it)

I mean you could do something that will come close to the specs of the PS5 such as get the Ryzen 5 2600 (as even though the PS5 is rumoured to come with a 8 core Ryzen probably in line with the Ryzen 7 1700/2700 eh PC games and 8 cores is a bit silly right now, you could still even do with a quad core processor and core count has nothing to do with gaming anyhow... multi thread may be better though )

But diont do it till next year, see how pricing is on the new Ryzens coming out then maybe see if you can start saving some buck for new parts.

New motherboard, processor and memory as most of your other parts are fine and in line.

2 hours ago, Zeitec said:

I mean your current PC is likely already faster than a next gen console given you're rocking a 1080ti. I'd be surprised if next gen consoles run anything faster than say a 1080/Vega 64 and shocked if it beat a 1080ti. So yeah I wouldn't downgrade to a next gen console unless you want the exclusives. Now whether or not it will be worth upgrading to a 3700x / 10700k + Navi/3080ti will depend on how that hardware looks when it launches in 2020.

So you don’t think the 3080 will be available next year?

I wonder if the Xbox 2 will have ray tracing?

2 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

okay. next time just say it's a rm750. then I know enough.

Do you know what mobo and cpu you exactly have? maybe you could do a upgrade? or ryzen is a great option. I can help you pretty well with it. You can build a 1440p high 60 fps gaming pc for around 1000 bucks these days. and on esports titles it will perform even better. 

The motherboard is an MSI Z87-G55 Intel LGA1150 Z87 ATX.

The CPU is an Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W.

But I haven’t overlocked it.

I game at 4K on my TV at around 40-50fps on games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider on ultra settings.

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

My friend works at Rocksteady. He said someone from Microsoft visited them the other week to talk about their next gen plans and he was told they are aiming for a 2019 release.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

PS5 rumours are closer of im not misstaken. 

It can. Does Xbox one X use high setting? The FPS dips from time to time on the Xbox, hence the use of Freesync being relevant.

Depends on pricing and need. I dont see them go above 16GB. 

I think their exclusives run on high but third party might tend to target medium?

6 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

The motherboard is an MSI Z87-G55 Intel LGA1150 Z87 ATX.

The CPU is an Intel Core i5 4670K 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W.

But I haven’t overlocked it.

I game at 4K on my TV at around 40-50fps on games such as Rise of the Tomb Raider on ultra settings.

well, you could get a 4770k or 4790k, a good cooler and a new graphics card. shouldn't cost too much

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

Well if you did feel the need to upgrade then yes i would follow the others and say wait for the next Ryzens.

As others stated your card is more than enough to keep up with the PS5 and Xboxtwo (who knows what the hell Microsoft will call it)

I mean you could do something that will come close to the specs of the PS5 such as get the Ryzen 5 2600 (as even though the PS5 is rumoured to come with a 8 core Ryzen probably in line with the Ryzen 7 1700/2700 eh PC games and 8 cores is a bit silly right now, you could still even do with a quad core processor and core count has nothing to do with gaming anyhow... multi thread may be better though )

But diont do it till next year, see how pricing is on the new Ryzens coming out then maybe see if you can start saving some buck for new parts.

New motherboard, processor and memory as most of your other parts are fine and in line.

I wish i could keep my motherboard and RAM since there is nothing wrong with them.

But I’ve been told that the new CPU’s and RAM are not compatible :(

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, you could get a 4770k or 4790k, a good cooler and a new graphics card. shouldn't cost too much

If I were buying a new gaming CPU now wouldn’t it be a 8400 or something?

And rumours suggest Intel might shrink the mn process next year...

My friend works at Rocksteady. He said someone from Microsoft visited them the other week to talk about their next gen plans and he was told they are aiming for a 2019 release.

I don't buy it. Sony CEO said at least 3 years away, and I bet we'd get at least something until now if it were 2019. Doubt MS will release something as well. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

I don't buy it. Sony CEO said at least 3 years away, and I bet we'd get at least something until now if it were 2019. Doubt MS will release something as well. 

Maybe Sony are working from a different timetable from Microsoft?

Although it would suprise me to learn that Sony would allow Microsoft a 3 year head start on them. They would essentially be skipping a gen.

That being said, I don’t even know why Microsoft want to release new hardware next year anyway. They already have the most powerful console in the world and Sony are still outselling them. 

Sony have no reason to jumpstart the next gen, the PS4 is still selling incredibly well. 

Perhaps Microsoft feel that a fresh start would improve their market share?

And rumours suggest Intel might shrink the mn process next year...

It shure looks like it, and i hope so aswell, but 10 core comet lake rumours arent promising. 

9 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

I wish i could keep my motherboard and RAM since there is nothing wrong with them.

But I’ve been told that the new CPU’s and RAM are not compatible :(

Indeed, as they use DDR4, but you could always sell your parts off if they still work.

The marketplace has some people in need of parts even if they are old.

Just keep your sale prices a bit low it should sell.

Say sell your parts for like $100 it may go for that :D

6 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

It shure looks like it, and i hope so aswell, but 10 core comet lake rumours arent promising. 

I’m a novice, but it feels to me like Intel hasn’t really pregressed their CPU’s since I bought mine back in 2014.

In real gamng terms how much of an improvement is a 8400 over my 4670?

Well, the real question here is:

How much do you enjoy and want to play the console-exclusive games ie. cinematic 3rd person singleplayer fancy-graphics cutscene simulators? :)

If you really love these kinds of games, then a console is pretty much your only choice. If you don't care about them much, then I don't see any reason to get a console over a PC except maybe short-term money savings. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

8 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Indeed, as they use DDR4, but you could always sell your parts off if they still work.

The marketplace has some people in need of parts even if they are old.

Just keep your sale prices a bit low it should sell.

Say sell your parts for like $100 it may go for that :D

Is it a scam to force motherboard upgrades? :)

Is DDR5 on the horizon? 

2 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Well, the real question here is:

How much do you enjoy and want to play the console-exclusive games ie. cinematic 3rd person singleplayer fancy-graphics cutscene simulators? :)

If you really love these kinds of games, then a console is pretty much your only choice. If you don't care about them much, then I don't see any reason to get a console over a PC except maybe short-term money savings. 

I do like PlayStation exclusives :)

I’m not your typical PC gamer (if such a thing exists) I guess, I feel torn between two worlds.

I mean, I have my PC connected to a TV and I play on the couch using a controller!

But I love the freedom a PC gives me, I love the backwards compatibility, and I prefer the community. 

1 minute ago, Max Eckhardt said:

I do like PlayStation exclusives :)

I’m not your typical PC gamer (if such a thing exists) I guess, I feel torn between two worlds.

I mean, I have my PC connected to a TV and I play on the couch using a controller!

But I love the freedom a PC gives me, I love the backwards compatibility, and I prefer the community. 

Then you got your answer. Get a console and enjoy those exclusives. With Microsoft buying all those game developers nowadays, the next console generation should have a whole lot of AAA exclusives from both companies. 

As for couch gaming, yeah I do that as well. I play most singleplayer games and all Soulsborne games on my TV & with a controller. That's what being pc master race is all about: the freedom. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

11 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

In real gamng terms how much of an improvement is a 8400 over my 4670?

Youll get some in newer titles, but other than that not much

24 minutes ago, Max Eckhardt said:

Is it a scam to force motherboard upgrades? :)

Is DDR5 on the horizon? 

Yes it is, but we wont see DDR5 just yet.

The projected release of DDR5 is in 2019 but when we dont know but likely its going to be expensive so dont worry about it.

DDR4 will still be viable for a bit longer, I mean it took until 2016 for DDR4 to become viable for the average consumer 2 years after its initial release in 2014.

DDR3 actually had quite the lifespan too as did DDR2, DDR3 didnt start to be phased out until late 2016 and it was almost 10 years old.

DDR2 had a good run too being phased out in 2010 or so and was released initially in 2003... again a good run.

Dont be too pressured here, DDR4 probably has another 3-5 years before it starts to phase out.

I mean no one can predict the future but by my estimate DDR4 still has some viability due to its high speeds.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:38 PM, MadmanRB said:

Yes it is, but we wont see DDR5 just yet.

The projected release of DDR5 is in 2019 but when we dont know but likely its going to be expensive so dont worry about it.

DDR4 will still be viable for a bit longer, I mean it took until 2016 for DDR4 to become viable for the average consumer 2 years after its initial release in 2014.

DDR3 actually had quite the lifespan too as did DDR2, DDR3 didnt start to be phased out until late 2016 and it was almost 10 years old.

DDR2 had a good run too being phased out in 2010 or so and was released initially in 2003... again a good run.

Dont be too pressured here, DDR4 probably has another 3-5 years before it starts to phase out.

I mean no one can predict the future but by my estimate DDR4 still has some viability due to its high speeds.

But what is so great about DDR4 that made DDR3 unviable?

DDR3 is still around just not on current gen boards.

It is however still in laptops under the DDR3L.

As for why new standards happen will it does have some more logic other than "lets force customers to get new ram so we can make more money"

New ram types often have higher speeds of memory transference compared to the older type.

The max speed of DDR3 is 2400 while the max speed of DDR4 is 4700.

As RAM tech gets better the faster speeds it can achieve.

DRR5 doesn't have a complete chart yet but its base speed is 5200 so that tells you how much faster it could be compared to DDR4.

Pretty soon the it will be the processors that will be a bit slower but the RAM outpacing it a bit but that is due to the limits of silicone and the threshold of Moores law.

Edit linked to a better video:

21 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

DDR3 is still around just not on current gen boards.

It is however still in laptops under the DDR3L.

As for why new standards happen will it does have some more logic other than "lets force customers to get new ram so we can make more money"

New ram types often have higher speeds of memory transference compared to the older type.

The max speed of DDR3 is 2400 while the max speed of DDR4 is 4700.

As RAM tech gets better the faster speeds it can achieve.

DRR5 doesn't have a complete chart yet but its base speed is 5200 so that tells you how much faster it could be compared to DDR4.

Pretty soon the it will be the processors that will be a bit slower but the RAM outpacing it a bit but that is due to the limits of silicone and the threshold of Moores law.

Edit linked to a better video:

So they couldn’t just make new motherboards backwards compatible with DDR3?

Well its not just the motherboards that is the cause of new memory standards as new processors do have factors too such as needing faster RAM to operate.

Both AMD and Intel do modify their architecture, sometimes in subtle ways like intel but in other ways completely different than before with AMD.

I mean AMD really needed to change things up, even the RAM standard.

DDR3 does have its drawbacks for something like Ryzen, DDR3L is only still around as its timings are different and it has low power consumption (plus its still good for entry level laptops but its also been replaced by ddr4)

I mean yes when Intel skylake was released the benefits of DDR4 were not as obvious as they are with AMD's ryzen platform

AMD may face a similar criticism with Zen 2 when that uses DDR5

But is RAM speed all that important?

I seem to remember a Linus video where he said not to worry about speeds when choosing RAM speeds for gaming...

Well its not just ram speed but also memory timings too that change.

And with Ryzens architecture yes the faster speed ram the better as its infinity fabric technology has a rather unique memory scaling to it.

Ryzen would certainly never work on the limitations of DDR3, the way AMD designed it takes advantage of high speed memory far more than its intel counterparts.

AMD's Ryzen is just as revolutionary as Merom was for intel.

Heck Intel still uses Merom as its base for its architecture, they only shrunk its dye size and increased its speed over time (this also explains the meltdown and spectre issue and why it goes so far back)