Content Creator - New PC/CPU Advice

Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my current system (which is based around an i7-3770k overclocked to 4.1Ghz and a EVGA hybrid 1070GPU).. Genernally i look for a system to be able to last me around 5 years accepting that I will need to upgrade the GPU during that time.

It's been a while since I last built a rig, and have been doing a lot of reading.. However subject to what i'm reading it seems there's conflicting information about which CPU i should go for so I thought this would be the best place to ask for some help. Do i go for a thread ripper or i9?

Budget : £2000 
Aim :  
I'm looking to be able to play current games and future games such as Star Citizen at full prettiness, to be able to play VR games, and to be able to stream them to Twitch (using OBS) at a high quality.

I also play Kerbal Space Program which benefits from good single core processing power, but that would be secondary to being able to games like Star Citizen and streaming them.
I need to be able to have a lot of USB devices plugged in and not cause conflicts (currently i have usb mic, joystick,throttle, MFD, streamdeck, Oculus DK2, TrackIR Pro, gamepad,Mouse, Keyboard, sound mixer, flight peddles.
I'm learning blender and intend to carry on learning/using it I also edit short videos for family etc

My current system has some SSDS which would be moved over to the new system (1x900Gb SSD and 2x240GB SSD's)
I'd be looking to retire my old system to be the Bot PC running Chat,music,bot, Facerig (using OBS's NDI plugin)
My current case is cool master Cosmos II .. I'd be looking to fit the new bits in that and move the old bits to as smaller case as i can get away with.
I'd also be looking for the new system to be quiet.

Monitors :
Currently the system is running 3 monitors .. I'd be looking to only run 2 monitors with a 3rd virtual monitor for oculus desktop so i can pin "chat" to the desktop and be able to read that while playing VR games. Currently i'm playing at 1080, at some point i'd like to get a better monitor and play at higher resolutions.. as i say i'd like full pretty :D

Peripherals:
Currently running usb mic, joystick,throttle, MFD, streamdeck, Oculus DK2, TrackIR Pro, gamepad,Mouse, Keyboard, sound mixer. flight peddles.
Running windows 10

Why are you upgrading? :
As above, my old system can not cope with running modden games and streaming, even using GPU encoding with OBS my CPU is constantly flatlining at 100%. 

Thanks in advance
Red

If you can hold out another 3-4 months, Zen 2 will bring even more cores and clock speeds to the market, and some pretty damn good prices. If you can't wait though, a Ryzen 7 2700 based system would do you good. You could continue to use the GPU you have for 1080p and upgrade when you get a new monitor (though the 1070 is pretty good at 1440p 60 fps). Alternatively, if you're into the HEDT department, you could go with a Threadripper 1920X/1950X. Though again, with Zen 2 coming out and potentially 12 cores on a mainstream CPU, those chips will be basically obsolete in a couple months.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Thanks for the advice guys.. I'll check out the Zen 2...
Is it expected that the new chips will come in at the same price as the current chips? And that will then bump the current chips price down as well?

2 minutes ago, RMG said:

Thanks for the advice guys.. I'll check out the Zen 2...
Is it expected that the new chips will come in at the same price as the current chips? And that will then bump the current chips price down as well?

they usually start of a little higher. as far as i am aware

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 3:02 AM, RMG said:

Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my current system (which is based around an i7-3770k overclocked to 4.1Ghz and a EVGA hybrid 1070GPU).. Genernally i look for a system to be able to last me around 5 years accepting that I will need to upgrade the GPU during that time.

It's been a while since I last built a rig, and have been doing a lot of reading.. However subject to what i'm reading it seems there's conflicting information about which CPU i should go for so I thought this would be the best place to ask for some help. Do i go for a thread ripper or i9?

Budget : £2000 
Aim :  
I'm looking to be able to play current games and future games such as Star Citizen at full prettiness, to be able to play VR games, and to be able to stream them to Twitch (using OBS) at a high quality.

I also play Kerbal Space Program which benefits from good single core processing power, but that would be secondary to being able to games like Star Citizen and streaming them.
I need to be able to have a lot of USB devices plugged in and not cause conflicts (currently i have usb mic, joystick,throttle, MFD, streamdeck, Oculus DK2, TrackIR Pro, gamepad,Mouse, Keyboard, sound mixer, flight peddles.
I'm learning blender and intend to carry on learning/using it I also edit short videos for family etc

My current system has some SSDS which would be moved over to the new system (1x900Gb SSD and 2x240GB SSD's)
I'd be looking to retire my old system to be the Bot PC running Chat,music,bot, Facerig (using OBS's NDI plugin)
My current case is cool master Cosmos II .. I'd be looking to fit the new bits in that and move the old bits to as smaller case as i can get away with.
I'd also be looking for the new system to be quiet.

Monitors :
Currently the system is running 3 monitors .. I'd be looking to only run 2 monitors with a 3rd virtual monitor for oculus desktop so i can pin "chat" to the desktop and be able to read that while playing VR games. Currently i'm playing at 1080, at some point i'd like to get a better monitor and play at higher resolutions.. as i say i'd like full pretty :D

Peripherals:
Currently running usb mic, joystick,throttle, MFD, streamdeck, Oculus DK2, TrackIR Pro, gamepad,Mouse, Keyboard, sound mixer. flight peddles.
Running windows 10

Why are you upgrading? :
As above, my old system can not cope with running modden games and streaming, even using GPU encoding with OBS my CPU is constantly flatlining at 100%. 

Thanks in advance
Red

I'm looking to build an ATX Gaming machine using AMD seeing as i have enjoyed my experience with AMD thus far. (parts listed below) my main goal is to stream at 6-8k Bitrate at Medium CPU or similar GPU preset for the best quality without overheating the hell out of my system and having a smooth and enjoyable gaming experience without throttling. Looking to see what the community thinks of my choices and if they have any suggestions for parts swaps of any kind and thought process behind it. and FTR i'm going to be using and NDI setup (NO CAPTURE CARD) 

Fractal Design Meshify C (white) 

ASRock x470 Taichi AM4 MOBO

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-core (oc'd)        Thank you to "fasauceome" for reminding me, once the Ryzen 7 3600X comes out i will be getting that one regardless of what system i have) 

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2 x 8 3200 speed 

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 270 Gaming OC          (2070 because NVME encoding on this card is superior to 1080ti without buying a $600 GPU) 

Corsair RM850X (white) PSU

4 X Corair LL120 RGB fans (with controller) 

Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm AIO 

Samsung 960EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-express SSD

(totaling as of this post just barely over $2,000.00 (with windows, yes i buy windows, i don't wana hear it LUL )