VPN Question

jampog
Go to solution Solved by jampog,

@ all 

sorry for the late reply but ty for all your replies... really learned a lot...

i browsed all of the links and google the vpns you mentioned... some of them are too expensive and others are worryingly cheap... some don't have much online presence at all so we are going for the most suggested... 

so we boiled it down to two pia cuz i remember a video linus trashed a sponsor for selling out... forgot who... and nord for i agree with @KnightSirius regarding the location and most sites really have solid reviews of the vpn... both are less than 3$ right now as well if you opt for longterm... 

now its up to wifey since she has a better "gut" feeling than me lol... thanks again! Hope everyone is still having an awesome holiday :D !! 

dunno if this is the right sub forum kindly direct me to the right one if it isnt :D

What is the cheapest, safe, easy and/or linus approved vpn out there that we can use for netflix?

We were thinking of getting a vpn so my inlaws who just arrive can watch tv series here in netflix. They just came from canada for a vacation and was sad to know they can't watch tv series anytime they wanted. They basically just want to binge it :D 

Havent used netflix yet so hopefully something that could help our crappy internet here in the philippines as well.

TIA!

something like nordvpn or tunnelbear should be just fine.

As for the crappy internet... a vpn will not really improve your internet, because you still have to connect to their servers first.

Current build: Ryzen 7 1700x, asus prime x370-pro, 16gb gskill trident z rgb, asus rog strix gtx 1070 ti, corsair rm650x, nzxt s340 elite, samsung 840 pro 256gb, 1.5tb hdd.

I'd personally recommend NordVPN, I've been using it for quite some time now and haven't had any issues.I'd definitely recommend it over PIA as they don't operate in the USA. If you want very detailed info on various VPN services I'd check out ThatOnePrivacySite.

As for the second part of your question, as @Martijn Klerks mentioned a VPN won't do anything to improve the speed of your current internet plan, you'll need to simply get a better plan (if one is available) through your ISP.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

If it's just for Netflix and you're not worried about the protection of your data, I strongly recommend using a Chrome extension called Hola. 

You just hit the extension, select the country, reload netflix, login, enjoy! 

Most other free VPNs have data caps then they make you pay (big nono for Netflix) and they have really bad speed throttling which drops your Netflix stream to 480p or worse!

Hola doesn't have any caps (data, or speed that I've tested upto 250mbps), but at the cost of them being allowed to acquire as much user data as they want while it's enabled. Hence why I said "not afraid about protection of your data", I 1000% wouldn't be banking or using any other personal accounts on Hola. For that I'd use a trusted VPN like nord or PIA

Here's Hola :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unlimited-free-vpn-hola/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

Check out Goose VPN its a dutch VPN company that provides all the features of PIA, NordVPN, PureVPN and Express VPN combined in one VPN solution that can be installed on your router also!

+1 for Nord. There's this article  which did a study with different VPNs and Netflix regions. Seems like nordvpn is a top pick for this matter.

Really you can realistically go with any high speed VPN you like if it's just for Netflix use, as long as it has a Canadian connection to use. Most VPN's you'll find have locations all over the world so as long as it has a high enough speed for Netflix to use you should be able to use any VPN out there. If you need a more narrowed search, look for VPN's for gaming use because they will have that higher speed you're looking for in streaming video with lower latency than other VPN's used purely for casual browsing and anonymity.

So VPN's you could look into are Nord, Vypr, IP Vanish. Hope this helped a bit!

On 12/6/2018 at 12:24 PM, jampog said:

What is the cheapest, safe, easy and/or linus approved vpn out there that we can use for netflix?

Only free vpn that works with netflix is zenmate (use romania server), if you are looking for further working vpns, check this research blog.

Netflix goes hard on vpn, make sure you pick the right one.

Proton VPN is pretty good, its run by CERN (The people who smash particles together for science) and its free, supposedly doesn't collect logs and doesn't have a data cap 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 3:56 PM, Chronified said:

If it's just for Netflix and you're not worried about the protection of your data, I strongly recommend using a Chrome extension called Hola. 

You just hit the extension, select the country, reload netflix, login, enjoy! 

Most other free VPNs have data caps then they make you pay (big nono for Netflix) and they have really bad speed throttling which drops your Netflix stream to 480p or worse!

Hola doesn't have any caps (data, or speed that I've tested upto 250mbps), but at the cost of them being allowed to acquire as much user data as they want while it's enabled. Hence why I said "not afraid about protection of your data", I 1000% wouldn't be banking or using any other personal accounts on Hola. For that I'd use a trusted VPN like nord or PIA

Here's Hola :)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unlimited-free-vpn-hola/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

sorry for the late reply...

saying it free really intrigued me! ty for clarifying it afterwards though... i am not that keen about what to tag as personal or not...  so as much i want to use it we only use one pc so far so most likely one of us would mess up haha...

thanks again!

@ all 

sorry for the late reply but ty for all your replies... really learned a lot...

i browsed all of the links and google the vpns you mentioned... some of them are too expensive and others are worryingly cheap... some don't have much online presence at all so we are going for the most suggested... 

so we boiled it down to two pia cuz i remember a video linus trashed a sponsor for selling out... forgot who... and nord for i agree with @KnightSirius regarding the location and most sites really have solid reviews of the vpn... both are less than 3$ right now as well if you opt for longterm... 

now its up to wifey since she has a better "gut" feeling than me lol... thanks again! Hope everyone is still having an awesome holiday :D !! 

18 hours ago, jampog said:

sorry for the late reply...

saying it free really intrigued me! ty for clarifying it afterwards though... i am not that keen about what to tag as personal or not...  so as much i want to use it we only use one pc so far so most likely one of us would mess up haha...

thanks again!

Hola only activates in the tab you enable it in and it disables as soon as you close that tab, I just mean I wouldn't log into banks and stuff across their VPN connection :P The rest of your browsing experience will be fine given you're not going to your bank from the tab you're watching Netflix in. Just make it a habit to close your Netflix tab instead of re-browsing somewhere else and you'll be okay :)

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.