8700k with an H series motherboard?

Yose17
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
1 minute ago, Yose17 said:

Is this an instance where the non-k version (8700) would probably be a better choice if I DIDN'T want to overclock? Is the performance difference noticeable between the 8700 and the 8700k (at stock speeds)?

Yes. The performance difference is barely noticeable and in most cases, appreciably no different than an i7-8700K at stock speeds.

I'd argue it's not even worth overclocking an i7-8700K anyway. Most people seem to get 8% better clock speeds which for the amount you pay doesn't really seem like a good deal.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Yose/saved/8Vf4qs

This is the build I'm thinking about upgrading to, I'd be buying the motherboard, cpu, and the RAM. As far as the motherboard goes, would this motherboard be okay to overclock the 8700k? I've never overclocked before but I've been wanting to get into it some more but I only see stuff online that relates to Z boards instead of H for overclocking. Would this motherboard be okay? What are some other usual differences between H, Z, and B motherboards?

so h and b boards are generally striped down boards.  they dont have as many features and dont allow for overclocking.  z boards are the mainstream boards with all the features and allowing for overclocking.  you could use a h or a b board with that cpu but you will be unable to overclock the cpu

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

You can't overclock with an H board. It has to be a Z board.

Otherwise the differences between the boards are mostly the I/O configuration and some other features. Like for example, Z boards are the only ones that support SLI and multiplier based overclocking. H boards may allow for Crossfire but don't count it.

1 minute ago, xdeathshot20 said:

so h and b boards are generally striped down boards.  they dont have as many features and dont allow for overclocking.  z boards are the mainstream boards with all the features and allowing for overclocking.  you could use a h or a b board with that cpu but you will be unable to overclock the cpu

Is this an instance where the non-k version (8700) would probably be a better choice if I DIDN'T want to overclock? Is the performance difference noticeable between the 8700 and the 8700k (at stock speeds)?

Only reason why I'm looking at an H board right now is because a lot of the mATX boards that I've looked at either have awful reviews, bad color scheme (looking for something neutral/white), or they're simply just out of stock. 

1 minute ago, Yose17 said:

Yes. The performance difference is barely noticeable and in most cases, appreciably no different than an i7-8700K at stock speeds.

I'd argue it's not even worth overclocking an i7-8700K anyway. Most people seem to get 8% better clock speeds which for the amount you pay doesn't really seem like a good deal.

6 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think I'll stick with this H series board and just get the non-k 8700, thank you!! :)