Upgrading SSD

mkU1tra762

I have a  laptop that camme with a 256GB m.2 SSD. I want to upgrade it to somethig larger. Hw simple is the process? I know how to open up that laptop and change them out however, I'm not really sure I know how to swith the OS over. Do I need to buy another copy of windows 10? What about all of the stuff associated with my thinkpad (stylus support etc.) as well as the media controls and other Fn key setup. I doubt I can just swap themm out right? 

CPU i7 8700K ( 5 GHz) RAM G Skill Trident Z 32 GB (3200 MHz) GPU EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Motherboard Asus ROG Strix z370 E Gaming Cooling NZXT Kraken x62 R2 PSU EVGA SuperNova 650 W 80+ Platinum Storage 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA Display Dell QHD 144Hz 27'' Case NZXT H500 Black Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mouse Logitech G900 Operating System Windows 10 Pro

You can put everything on a flash drive or external hard drive and do a simple file transfer. 

9 minutes ago, MattKnutson84 said:

I have a  laptop that camme with a 256GB m.2 SSD. I want to upgrade it to somethig larger. Hw simple is the process? I know how to open up that laptop and change them out however, I'm not really sure I know how to swith the OS over. Do I need to buy another copy of windows 10? What about all of the stuff associated with my thinkpad (stylus support etc.) as well as the media controls and other Fn key setup. I doubt I can just swap themm out right? 

depends, most of the times it just works by cloning the drive with some software and a dock (if your laptop can't have 2 sata's at a time). just swap it like you would do on any laptop

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

depends, most of the times it just works by cloning the drive with some software and a dock (if your laptop can't have 2 sata's at a time). just swap it like you would do on any laptop

Do they make docks for cloning M.2 SSD's?

CPU i7 8700K ( 5 GHz) RAM G Skill Trident Z 32 GB (3200 MHz) GPU EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Motherboard Asus ROG Strix z370 E Gaming Cooling NZXT Kraken x62 R2 PSU EVGA SuperNova 650 W 80+ Platinum Storage 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO NVME M.2, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2, 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SATA, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA Display Dell QHD 144Hz 27'' Case NZXT H500 Black Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mouse Logitech G900 Operating System Windows 10 Pro

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, MattKnutson84 said:

Do they make docks for cloning M.2 SSD's?

there are m.2 docks. you can find them on ebay for example

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

there are m.2 docks. you can find them on ebay for example

Awesome,thanks!I assume I would need cloning software too?

Just now, MattKnutson84 said:

Awesome,thanks!I assume I would need cloning software too?

yep. what ssd are you planning on using?

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Great news! Thanks!

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

yep. what ssd are you planning on using?

I've thought about getting a Samsung 960 Evo. I really like their SSD's.

You do not need a lot of equipment, but you will definitely need a computer where you can connect both SSDs and then start the cloning process with tools like EaseUS for example:

For the Windows license number, what you can do is to recover it before formatting, then you can enter it again when you are reinstalling, some tool options that allow you to extract the Windows license key number are:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

14 minutes ago, MattKnutson84 said:

When Upgrading to a higher storage there are a 2 options.

1. First would be to clone the m.2 SSD on to an external drive (that can include a USB if it has enough storage), then you would replace the m.2 ssd and transfer the cloned data to the new drive. I would recommend Clonezila. ( i have tried it with ssd but not with M.2.)

2. Would be to take the data you need out of the old drive then install the new m.2 drive and do a fresh install of windows. If your Laptop was bought in the last 2ish years and has M.2 then i assume that it should store your windows key on the board and would auto enter when you do a fresh install.

Just now, MattKnutson84 said:

I've thought about getting a Samsung 960 Evo. I really like their SSD's.

well, great idea. samsung has their own cloning software. would recommend to back up your data before that tho

Just now, TekSupport said:

When Upgrading to a higher storage there are a 2 options.

1. First would be to clone the m.2 SSD on to an external drive (that can include a USB if it has enough storage), then you would replace the m.2 ssd and transfer the cloned data to the new drive. I would recommend Clonezila. ( i have tried it with ssd but not with M.2.)

2. Would be to take the data you need out of the old drive then install the new m.2 drive and do a fresh install of windows. If your Laptop was bought in the last 2ish years and has M.2 then i assume that it should store your windows key on the board and would auto enter when you do a fresh install.

He doesn't need to do this.

He is ADDING a drive.

He can simply unplug the old drive, plug in the new one, and install windows.

Then plug the old one back in and it will have all his data on it. Or move the data to the new one, format the old one, and use it as extra storage.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

well, great idea. samsung has their own cloning software. would recommend to back up your data before that tho

Cloning is a great way to screw up your OS.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

He doesn't need to do this.

He is ADDING a drive.

He can simply unplug the old drive, plug in the new one, and install windows.

Then plug the old one back in and it will have all his data on it. Or move the data to the new one, format the old one, and use it as extra storage.

also a great idea. cloning works great too imo

Yes i agree, make sure to take precautions. 

e.g. Extracting windows product key and backing up your data.

Just now, Enderman said:

well, my 860 evo disagrees

it does happen even though its rare.

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I'm sure you've at least run into some problems with windows updates or errors in event viewer and stuff like that which you probably don't check.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

I'm sure you've at least run into some problems with windows updates or errors in event viewer and stuff like that which you probably don't check.

well event viewer always has it's errors. but I actually never do and still didn't untill now. so I disagree a bit here...

not saying that it's impossible, just that it seems to happen rarely

Actually you could use Windows' backup and restore (windows 7) function. Just backup the boot drive to whatever storage device you have (preferably the internal hard drive if it has one, otherwise I think you can save it to a USB drive), clean install the OS after boot drive swap, then restore the backup. No need to reactivate anything.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well event viewer always has it's errors. but I actually never do and still didn't untill now. so I disagree a bit here...

not saying that it's impossible, just that it seems to happen rarely

Well if you want, there's tens of thousands of examples on google of what goes wrong when you migrate/clone.

Event viewer should have close to 0 errors if you've clean installed correctly.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

This gave me a very very very good laugh. LOL 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)