Wait for Ryzen 3rd Gen?

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

Going off of what's been leaked about Zen 2, I think it's really promising.

If you need a rig now, buy a 2700x now. If you can afford to wait until Zen 2 launches, then wait.

Should I buy the Ryzen 7 2700X now, or wait for 3rd Gen? Is 3rd Gen going to be all that great?

Ryzen 2700X, GTX 1080ti SC2, Phanteks Evolv X, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB, 500GB 860 EVO, 2 TB WD Drive

If you need a rig now, buy a 2700x now. If you can afford to wait until Zen 2 launches, then wait.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Do you think the new processors will be compatible with the previous AM4 socket and chipsets?

Ryzen 2700X, GTX 1080ti SC2, Phanteks Evolv X, 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB, 500GB 860 EVO, 2 TB WD Drive

Just now, thomasharrick said:

Do you think the new processors will be compatible with the previous AM4 socket and chipsets?

With a BIOS update, they should be compatible if AMD's track record is anything to go buy. It's also possible they'll introduce the AM4+ socket with Zen 2.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

With a BIOS update, they should be compatible if AMD's track record is anything to go buy. It's also possible they'll introduce the AM4+ socket with Zen 2.

Thanks! Guess I'll be sticking to Intel, as I don't want to give someone an outdated system but I need one by Christmas. Thanks, Crunchy Dragon!

Just now, thomasharrick said:

Thanks! Guess I'll be sticking to Intel, as I don't want to give someone an outdated system but I need one by Christmas. Thanks, Crunchy Dragon!

Ryzen 2700X isn't going to be outdated just because new CPUs came out...

"Outdated" is more used to define hardware that's just not worth much if anything, and can't be used for much. Something like an Athlon 64 or Intel Pentium 4. Sure the 2700X will be older by then, but definitely not outdated.