Pc won't boot

Dieterrr

Today i tryed to build my first pc... Everything went fairly smooth and there were no problems... Atleast not till i tryed to start it up for the first time... When i press the power button on the pc i hear a clicking sound the leds from the case light up for a split second and then nothing... The motherboard light goes on as soon as i turn on the psu so thats not the problem right? I did try it with the peripheral and sata cables disconnected from my psu and it did not work with that either, so thats not the problem eithet right? So what can it be and would there be a way for me to fix it without that i would need to ship everything back so i can get replacement? 

P. S. Im please dont be hard on me its my first time trying to build my own pc ;) 

15439458504111158794546586939282.jpg

To me, it sounds like your motherboard is shorting out on your case. Did you make sure to remove any extra standoffs from under the motherboard? You only have the ones you are using to screw the motherboard in?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

pull the gpu out then try it

if that doesn't work build the machine outside the case then try it

13 minutes ago, Dieterrr said:

Today i tryed to build my first pc... Everything went fairly smooth and there were no problems... Atleast not till i tryed to start it up for the first time... When i press the power button on the pc i hear a clicking sound the leds from the case light up for a split second and then nothing... The motherboard light goes on as soon as i turn on the psu so thats not the problem right? I did try it with the peripheral and sata cables disconnected from my psu and it did not work with that either, so thats not the problem eithet right? So what can it be and would there be a way for me to fix it without that i would need to ship everything back so i can get replacement? 

P. S. Im please dont be hard on me its my first time trying to build my own pc ;)

15439458504111158794546586939282.jpg

What @Krosis said. Also, before putting motherboard in the case always check if you get a post. It is an extra step but if you mess something up, it is much easier to sort it out.

Build a basic system outside on your motherboard box. Use this video as a reference

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

Just now, Rex_G said:

What @Krosis said. Also, before putting motherboard in the case always check if you get a posts. It is an extra step but if you mess something up, it is much easier to sort it out.

I will try that.

Thank you 

1 minute ago, Dieterrr said:

I will try that.

Thank you 

Don't forget that hand dandy motherboard box to use as a testbench! It's super useful to make sure all the components are in a working condition before messing about in the case. Good luck!

If you're not getting a post, try going through this list.

Edit: You should hook up a speaker directly to the motherboard and see if you're getting any beep codes.

Did you connect the CPU's fan to the CPU fan header instead of Case fan header?

Is your monitor connected to the GPU?

Have you tried wiping BIOS?

What components do you have?

The chance of it being a short is very low. I'd assume the clicking sound is coming from a HDD.

Could you take a picture of the rear-IO and get audio of the clicking noise?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

24 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

If you're not getting a post, try going through this list.

Edit: You should hook up a speaker directly to the motherboard and see if you're getting any beep codes.

Did you connect the CPU's fan to the CPU fan header instead of Case fan header?

Is your monitor connected to the GPU?

Have you tried wiping BIOS?

What components do you have?

The chance of it being a short is very low. I'd assume the clicking sound is coming from a HDD.

Could you take a picture of the rear-IO and get audio of the clicking noise?

Just now i moved the mitherboard out of the case to see if it would still short and it still did...

I connected the cpu fan to the cpu_fan port...

My monitor was connected to the gpu yes (what about if i firstly try to do it without gpu and monitor as if it does not even start without them they should not be the problem right?) 

How can i wipe the bios if i cant even post? The problem i have is that when i press the power button i hear a click from the psu and then nothing works anymore except the rgb part of my monitor

As for components... 

I have a corsair rm750x psu

A gtx 1080 mini from zotac 

An i7 8700k

An asus strix z390 f gaming motherboard 

36 gm of ddr4 ram from hyperx a

a 500 gb 970evo m. 2 ssd

the coolermaster masterbox pro 5 rgb case and a coolermaster masterair ma610p

Okay... I tryed to build the system outside of the case... And something caught my attention... My psu makes a wierd sound when the switch on it is turned on... It sounds like a cicada or something like that... Could that be the issue? 

Is your 4 or 8 pin second MOBO power line connected in the "upper left" of the mobo - not just the 24pin ATX line on the right hand side?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

6 minutes ago, Dieterrr said:

Okay... I tryed to build the system outside of the case... And something caught my attention... My psu makes a wierd sound when the switch on it is turned on... It sounds like a cicada or something like that... Could that be the issue? 

Is your 4 or 8 pin second MOBO power line connected in the "upper left" of the mobo - not just the 24pin ATX line on the right hand side?

Not sure about the sound coming from PSU.  The best way to check if the PSU is the culprit is a voltmeter or another PSU that you know works.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Not sure about the sound coming from PSU.  The best way to check if the PSU is the culprit is a voltmeter or another PSU that you know works.

Yes i did connect the upper left line with my psu via an 8 pin cable

Okay small updatee... I tryed to start the pc with the psu from my old computer and that did work... So i gzess with that i found the culprit... 

Thank you everyone for your suggestions even if they did not help my case i hope to be able to use them one day when i have problems with my next pc's ;)