Looking For A New Laptop For Christmas

Hey guys! I was hoping you could help me out.

I'm looking for a new laptop, as my hand-me-down ThinkPad W541 has unfortunetly bit the dust. I can't think of what my father used it for, but I never made any real use of the Nvidia Quadro card it had in it.

Anyway, to the point: I'm looking for a lightweight laptop around a 13" screen size, back lit, and a decent battery life - maybe around six hours? - as I'll be heading off to trade school come May. I'm not really looking for anything fancy, and will gladly pick something up used or refurbished, as my price point is under $400. (Thank you, shitty jobs and student loans!)

What would you guys recommend?

You will have a hard time finding something with 6hrs of battery life under 400$. Most refurbs or used laptops have some level of wear on the battery. I hate to say this but a used 13"  Macbook Air might be your best choice. 

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

1 minute ago, Daveeede said:

You will have a hard time finding something with 6hrs of battery life under 400$. Most refurbs or used laptops have some level of wear on the battery. I hate to say this but a used 13"  Macbook Air might be your best choice. 

Hm.. So let's forget about that level of battery life, as I'm not too much of a fan of Apple products. What do you suggest then?

Depends whats available around you, but a thin and light with at least an i5-5200u and 8gb of memory would be ideal. The model posted by @MandoPanda is really nice but might be a bit out of your price range. Also grade B/C refurbs are a bit scary to buy. 

Something like this looks good: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316402&ignorebbr=1

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

21 hours ago, Volework said:

Hey guys! I was hoping you could help me out.

I'm looking for a new laptop, as my hand-me-down ThinkPad W541 has unfortunetly bit the dust. I can't think of what my father used it for, but I never made any real use of the Nvidia Quadro card it had in it.

Anyway, to the point: I'm looking for a lightweight laptop around a 13" screen size, back lit, and a decent battery life - maybe around six hours? - as I'll be heading off to trade school come May. I'm not really looking for anything fancy, and will gladly pick something up used or refurbished, as my price point is under $400. (Thank you, shitty jobs and student loans!)

What would you guys recommend?

You can go with an Acer aspire from amazon. top of your budget, I3, about 12 Hours battery life. I got one and mine even came with an SSD and a warranty, I ended up paying a nudge over 400$ for that though and had to make the SSD my primary. It is a great value laptop, 8th gen I3, warrenty, brand new and all. Not ultra powerful, I use my desktop for... anything fun. the 8th gen I3 is far above a Pentium or anything and great battery, look up some reviews on it, I was looking for something with similar requests as you, but I wanted a bit of speed as well. https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-i3-8130U-Memory-E5-576-392H/dp/B079TGL2BZ/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1543977450&sr=1-4&keywords=Acer+Aspire I do reccomend as SSD, most laptops have disapointing 5400rpm drives and that is the weak point of the Acer, I do not really recommend the SSD bundle, any M.2 SSD will work.