External USB HDD not showing up on Optimize Drives/Disk Defragmenter?

crystal6tak

I have two external HDD connected through USB 3.0. Both directly to the back of the motherboard. I can't figure out how to defrag them. They don't show up on the optimize drives tab:

rAWxhxv.png

Help? Thank you!

First, before you want to optimize them, you may want to double check your computer even recognizes them. Open up disk management and see if they are there. I've dealt with a lot of these issues at work. It may be possible that your drives are failing, and failed entirely. if for some reason that you try another computer and these drives are working however, you may want to check those USBs on your motherboard. I've had a motherboard that i maxed out the power through the back USBs and all i had to do was put on of the USBs in the front IO of the case and it worked. 

Just now, zornzilla said:

First, before you want to optimize them, you may want to double check your computer even recognizes them. Open up disk management and see if they are there. I've dealt with a lot of these issues at work. It may be possible that your drives are failing, and failed entirely. if for some reason that you try another computer and these drives are working however, you may want to check those USBs on your motherboard. I've had a motherboard that i maxed out the power through the back USBs and all i had to do was put on of the USBs in the front IO of the case and it worked. 

They work just fine. Been using them for a while now, no hiccups. They show up in disk management. Reading around it seems to to do with Windows 10 April update? No idea. I'm looking around for a defrag software and see how that goes. 

Did you try to run defrag via command line?

There two types of removable storage devices in Windows. One type doesn't show up in defragmentation software

Using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2018 at 1:40 AM, crystal6tak said:

I have two external HDD connected through USB 3.0. Both directly to the back of the motherboard. I can't figure out how to defrag them. They don't show up on the optimize drives tab:

rAWxhxv.png

Help? Thank you!

Try the repair option in the tools menu of the properties of your harddrive. I had the same problem, it worked for me.