FTP Server

Hello everybody,

I have set up a Ftp server according to this guide: https://www.medic-daniel.de/microsoft-window-server/2013/04/ftp-server-unter-windows-2012-server. On the server itself I come to the FTP site but not to another client on the network. On the firewall the FTP pots are released. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it could be.

So disable firewall and check then. If it works then your firewall settings are bad.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:38 AM, Moritz_bassler19 said:

Unfortunately, I do not want to use Filezilla

Why not? We can help you better when we understand what you dislike with it.

Write in C.

On 12/1/2018 at 6:11 PM, Moritz_bassler19 said:

Hello everybody,

I have set up a Ftp server according to this guide: https://www.medic-daniel.de/microsoft-window-server/2013/04/ftp-server-unter-windows-2012-server. On the server itself I come to the FTP site but not to another client on the network. On the firewall the FTP pots are released. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it could be.

First go in IIS, right click on the FTP and select "Edit bindings" make sure the type is "ftp".

Then host should be empty for easy configuration, port 21, ip address be "*" so any NIC calls connect and binding info must be empty (you can change it later but this ensure the problem won't be there).

When you connect try to connect to the FTP from another computer on the network for the first time, use the actual IP and port to connect just in case it's a DNS problem. If at that point it does not work there is 2 possible problems.

1 - The right on the ftp folder doesn't allow for web user access (folders are always protected by default)

2 - firewall on either side Server or Client block communication on the port number used by the FTP

Why using third party when you have one that come with it ?

Plus if he deals with group policy, load balancing, multiple internet connections it's 100 times easier.

5 hours ago, Franck said:

Why using third party when you have one that come with it ?

Plus if he deals with group policy, load balancing, multiple internet connections it's 100 times easier.

Because 3rd party soft is os independent. And after upgrade, when Microsoft change something, 3rd party ftp server will work the same. The more 3rd party software you'll use, the more you don't care about system changes. And you will not complain like many people when after next upgrade something stops working. I rarely using anything built in system. OS is for handling hardware. Everything else should be choose by user who really looking for best computer using experience.

12 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Because 3rd party soft is os independent. And after upgrade, when Microsoft change something, 3rd party ftp server will work the same. The more 3rd party software you'll use, the more you don't care about system changes. And you will not complain like many people when after next upgrade something stops working. I rarely using anything built in system. OS is for handling hardware. Everything else should be choose by user who really looking for best computer using experience.

I have managed IIS FTP servers since Windows 2000 Server SP3 and i never seen microsoft removed something. All i have seen is more features and option and most come from .NET. If you have an FTP and it doesn't work the same you have a big issues. FTP does 1 thing, server files with optional use of username/password.

19 minutes ago, Franck said:

I have managed IIS FTP servers since Windows 2000 Server SP3 and i never seen microsoft removed something. All i have seen is more features and option and most come from .NET. If you have an FTP and it doesn't work the same you have a big issues. FTP does 1 thing, server files with optional use of username/password.

You asked about 3rd party software in general, I answered. Do you use built in video player? Or music player? Or email client? External apps are mostly better, has more options etc.