Xbox 360 and Original Xbox Compatibility Problem

Go to solution Solved by Ertman,

I did get it figured out while I was testing out other options.

It turns out that it was user error. Although proper documentation might be helpful. You need to make sure you are not only online but are also signed with an Xbox live account. It's the Live account step I was missing as its required to download the emulation update. It's something you'd think they would include with the dashboard update, or at least in the error message.

I bought a used 360 for reasons. When trying to play original Xbox games, I get the "Original Xbox game is not supported on your Xbox 360 console..." error. I don't have too many original games to test this with, but games like Battlefield 2, Burnout 3 & TD, and Star Wars Battlefront among a few otherall get this error.  However Halo 1 and Halo 2 work fine. With Halo 1&2 I can start/save/resume a campaign with no problems.

Any Idea where to proceed from here?

Its an elite model with an original 120gb hard drive. The drive seems to function and works fine.

The console is updated.

I have reset the cache etc.

36 minutes ago, Ertman said:

buy an original xbox or re purchase the games for a console that you have. 

the error already stated what the issue was

1 hour ago, emosun said:

buy an original xbox or re purchase the games for a console that you have. 

the error already stated what the issue was

Nope, and that doesn't even make sense as the console does support backwards compatibility.

2 minutes ago, Ertman said:

Nope, and that doesn't even make sense as the console does support backwards compatibility.

so you're under the impression that every original xbox game disk works on the 360

I did get it figured out while I was testing out other options.

It turns out that it was user error. Although proper documentation might be helpful. You need to make sure you are not only online but are also signed with an Xbox live account. It's the Live account step I was missing as its required to download the emulation update. It's something you'd think they would include with the dashboard update, or at least in the error message.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

so you're under the impression that every original xbox game disk works on the 360

You're under the impression that the error was correct in identifying the problem. Those games do work and are listed on the compatibility list. The error is a generic error that doesn't address the issue.

Apparently, you need to make sure you are signed into Xbox live and not just connected to the Internet to actually download the compatibility updates as the dashboard updates don't apparently include this. 

Thanks for for stopping by.

11 hours ago, Ertman said:

Look at the XBox 360 Compatibility list...

Because not all games are compatible...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360

And of course the Online stuff set up correctly...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"