Computer doesn't post and video card doesn't start

Zenno Rafael

Hello folks,

I usually don't turn off my computer when I am going to do something quick. I went to take a nap(around 1 hour) and the computer was on normally. When I wake up the computer was off and when I try to turn it on did post at all. When I try to remove the display port cable some tiny sparks come out of the back of the video card. Now everytime I try to turn the computer on what happens is the mobile light normally and the CPU fan runs normally as well. But my Video card keep trying to "turn on" ( I think, because the fan try to spin and do a click sound) and the case fan and light doesn't work. The PSU appears to run normally, at least the fan. I add a video on YouTube of me trying to turn the computer on so you guys can see what is happening. 

Any help will be appreciated!

The video:

Thanks!

I don't see your video attached anywhere.

But can I recommend you remove the video card to see if that is infact the issue? It sounds to me like something shorted that shouldn't have and it could have potentially damaged your motherboard. If it posts without the card, you probably should look into replacing the card.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

I don't see your video attached anywhere.

But can I recommend you remove the video card to see if that is infact the issue? It sounds to me like something shorted that shouldn't have and it could have potentially damaged your motherboard. If it posts without the card, you probably should look into replacing the card.

I tried, but I no different outcome. The video was too big I will edit the post and add the YouTube Video as soon as the video is uploaded. But I think was some kind of bad ground or something. But that could fuck the mobo or the PSU. I don't know.

Yeeeeah.

If you saw sparks. There was some current flowing somewhere that it should not have been. It could have been anything though. Can't just narrow it down to one thing either. If you don't get a POST or any video signal from the built-in graphics of the MOBO even with the card removed, I'm sorry but it sounds to me like everything is dead buddy.

I had a similar thing happen to a friend of mine once. All he did was exactly what you did and somehow some current went awry and jacked everything up.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

7 minutes ago, Docretier said:

To put it simply, it ded 

New computer time. Sorry bad news

Before you give up on the computer, did you try swapping out the video card?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

7 minutes ago, Krosis said:

Before you give up on the computer, did you try swapping out the video card?

The computer should POST if he took it out and that was the issue. Which he did

5 hours ago, Docretier said:

The computer should POST if he took it out and that was the issue. Which he did

He mention sparks. Not a good sign .

About the sparks, happened when the switch of the PSU was off, I think the grounding was not functioning. I think is the mobo or the PSU, I will try to get a PSU with a friend. If the switch of the PSU doesn't work I don't know what to do, I don't want to buy a mobo and if doesn't work I would have waste money.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:27 AM, Zenno Rafael said:

About the sparks, happened when the switch of the PSU was off, I think the grounding was not functioning. I think is the mobo or the PSU, I will try to get a PSU with a friend. If the switch of the PSU doesn't work I don't know what to do, I don't want to buy a mobo and if doesn't work I would have waste money.

Just because the psu is off, does not mean there isn’t a charge present within its capacitors and such. I believe it to be several components have now failed, and after such a major electrical incident as this, find it hard to recommend using any of those parts again. The reason behind it is because there was a short somewhere, and that rendered the system inoperable. If it just so happens that the part that caused the short is inserted into a new system, it could cause the same thing to happen.