Mini 4k Bluray Windows media center for my TV

I want to build a cheap and small media centre for my Tv that runs on windows.

I already picked up the UHD-friendly BR-Drive ASUS BC-12D2HT in a sale, now I just need everything else to go around it.

Yes, I know, "just buy a dedicated BluRay-Player" will be a recurring answer, but I would really like to have an actual Pc at my Tv.

And no, I don't want to RIP the BluRays.

Also, it would be neat to know what the actual requirements are to play a 4k-HDR-BluRay on a Pc.

I should add, my current main Pc:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
GIGABYTE Z170-HD3P
2x G.Skill F4-3200C16-8GVK

2x G.Skill F4-3200C16-4GRK
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB

Also, the BluRay drive is inside and plays normal Blu-Rays perfectly fine.

If I put in the 4k BD it loads for some seconds and then goes into standby.

The Test BD is "The Revenant" in the 4k HDR version.

As said above, doesn't work.

Not all Blu Ray drives can handle 4K (UHD) Blu Ray disks. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

17 minutes ago, brob said:

Not all Blu Ray drives can handle 4K (UHD) Blu Ray disks. 

The ASUS BC-12D2HT is, as said above, a UHD-friendly drive.

More on that topic here MakeMKV.

PS. I really don't want to rip them, and makemkv is just the most reliable source...

What are you using to read the disks and do you have the volume keys?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

9 hours ago, DerEntinator said:

I want to build a cheap and small media centre for my Tv that runs on windows.

I already picked up the UHD-friendly BR-Drive ASUS BC-12D2HT in a sale, now I just need everything else to go around it.

Yes, I know, "just buy a dedicated BluRay-Player" will be a recurring answer, but I would really like to have an actual Pc at my Tv.

And no, I don't want to RIP the BluRays.

Also, it would be neat to know what the actual requirements are to play a 4k-HDR-BluRay on a Pc.

Buy an i5 2400 refurb or better.  Have a GPU that supports the resolution.

I bought a i5 3470 refurb microtower ($140 shipped) slapped some old DDR3 to max out the slots, put an HD 7750 (4k capable GPU) in it, Blu Ray drive etc.  This is what I did for 4k.

I use VLC, Leawo as my software for playback.  I am actually tired of using it though because you have to have internet connection (and I use mine mainly for streaming) to grab up the keys from China to unlock the discs so when the net is out it doesn't work well.  VLC can but its still a process.

So personally Im about to just buy the actual software that allowed 30 day key retrieval for when my net goes down and the disc needs to be playing.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

• 4 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 11:54 AM, DerEntinator said:

The ASUS BC-12D2HT is, as said above, a UHD-friendly drive.

More on that topic here MakeMKV.

PS. I really don't want to rip them, and makemkv is just the most reliable source...

necro i know but did you ever get that drive reading disks im somewhat of a UHD friendly expert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfpf6HoMMis i made a how to video for how to downgrade the firmware to recognize uhd disks just make sure your drive is 2016+ and mt 1959 drive controller im billycar11 on makemkv i edited some of the firmware and sell these drives preflashed and tested