Mounting Radiator upside down?

Yakko21

Is it possible to mount the radiator upside down? Cause I want to install a valve and I think if I set my radiator upside down and use a Y fitting, it will be the lowest part in the loop. Would it cause any air bubble in the loop or pressure? Thanks in advance for the advice.

There is no 'upside down' when it comes to radiator really.

So orientated it how ever you wish.

ofc bleding air is easier when u have a means to bleed it near high points, but it can still be done without that, just requires alot of tiping, tilting, turning of the PC to get the air into the res.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

17 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

There is no 'upside down' when it comes to radiator really.

So orientated it how ever you wish.

ofc bleding air is easier when u have a means to bleed it near high points, but it can still be done without that, just requires alot of tiping, tilting, turning of the PC to get the air into the res.

Agree, the biggest thing is just make sure the reservoir sits above the pump so its always being fed water, otherwise you will burn it up. Outside of that, there isn't a perfect way to mount things, just more efficient ways.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

8 hours ago, Yakko21 said:

Thanks in advance for the advice.

some rads have bleed ports on the bottom to aid in the air removal, sounds like yours doesn't.

you can still do it, just need to tilt it side ways more (sideways to the rad not just your case ) when you fill it tilting it helps bubbles move anyways, But it wont have a negative effect on performance

Thank you for the responses. So I just have to tilt it to bleed out the air bubbles. Will there be any problem with the air bubbles being in there?

Just visualize how air bubbles always aim for the highest point. Visualise the routes liquid takes and tilt the case so that said bubbles will make their way into your tubing runs and eventualy into your res.

The problem with air bubbles in places like rads is that it restricts flow, idealy u dont wany ANY air bubles anywhere in the system, rads, blocks, or tubing. Once they are in the res all u need do is open it up and top up with coolant.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 hours ago, Yakko21 said:

Thank you for the responses. So I just have to tilt it to bleed out the air bubbles. Will there be any problem with the air bubbles being in there?

I excluseively do radiators in the "upside down" orientation. Its really just a choice between easy bleeding or easy draining. And i always prioritize easy draining.

Usually laying the case of the side gives the air a path to move out of the radiator.

Any "U"'s in a loop will not drain by gravity and i personally find it a bigger pain to rotate cases while keeping eye on liquid pouring out vs rotating a case with a loop closed and the okknly thing to keep out for is to not reintroduce airbubbles into the pump.