Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Intel Or AMD for a NAS

Hey Guys, I'm an avid PC builder and I'm currently working on building a crazy overkill NAS. However, I've asked around my friends and colleagues at work and it strikes an interesting debate on which is better: Intel or AMD. I kinda wanna know what your experiences are with each so that I can move forward with my build. I'm Looking using FreeNas as the OS and also about 48 TB of storage. Many thanks for your help in advance

A xeon is great for that

A opteron/epyc would be great too

a ryzen would do too

a intel core will do

It's whatever you can get for your money, not by what brand it is

Depends on what you want it to do. For dumb storage and nothing else, you could even use an Athlon 200GE or a Pentium.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04

Just now, NelizMastr said:

Depends on what you want it to do. For dumb storage and nothing else, you could even use an Athlon 200GE or a Pentium.

I'm Looking at being able to create Virtual machines on it as well as a storage box. Plus ECC support has a better history with Intel. But the prices for AMD are hard to ignore

1 minute ago, rookie_eyes said:

I'm Looking at being able to create Virtual machines on it as well as a storage box. Plus ECC support has a better history with Intel. But the prices for AMD are hard to ignore

Most Intel CPUs don't have ECC support, though, where all Ryzen processors do. 

I'd take a look at the Ryzen 7 2700. Sounds right up your alley. 8c/16t 65W TDP, decent price, unbuffered ECC support. You'll just need a low end piece of crap GPU to run a display and you're ready.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X MSI B550M Mortar 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 @ CL15 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 - Pop!_OS 20.04