Friend got a new GPU, and since he installed it, the screen randomly turns off and on repeatedly.

The Third Thomas

So my friend has a Ryzen 2400G with integrated graphics, but he wanted a real video card. So he got a Gigabyte RX Vega 56 on sale.

Ever since he plugged the card in it started randomly turning his screen off and on. His screen only has a DVI and VGA input, so he's using a HDMI > VGA adapter to run his screen.

Screen 1: 1680x1050p (screen 2 too iirc, but it does the same thing with only one screen)

CPU: Ryzen 2400G
GPU: Gigabyte RX Vega 56 Gaming OC

RAM: 4x4 2400MHz Vengeance LPX

PSU: Corsair CX550

Could it be the PSU that's not giving enough power? Before he bought it we checked, and there's many people running Vega 56's with a 550W PSU, even though recommended is 600/650.

I think we tried a lot, but I'm not sure if we tried everything.

The only thing I can think of if that it's the PSU.

Things we tried:

- Updating drivers
- Disabling Integrated Graphics
- Fully rebooting PC and re-inserting components

- Plugging in only one monitor (in the video the left screen is plugged into the 56 and the right screen is into the motherboard)

- Much more

It won't stop

With the GPU not plugged in at all, running on integrated graphics, it doesn't fuck up and works correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

possible issues:

power (should be fine but if you oced it might be drawing to much)

cable (check and make sure the cable to the monitor is well connected and not loose)

bad gpu (contact warranty and get a refund)

15 minutes ago, Happycowdance said:

possible issues:

power (should be fine but if you oced it might be drawing to much)

cable (check and make sure the cable to the monitor is well connected and not loose) 

bad gpu (contact warranty and get a refund)

It's a out of the box OC from gigabyte, so it's not running at actual stock speeds, but he did no manual overclocking. Maybe I'll underclock it a bit to check.

Cables are connected correctly iirc

We were planning on refunding it if the issue continues if the card is plugged into my own rig.