Can you split 1 usb signal to two devices ?

Hower
Go to solution Solved by dj_ripcord,
1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

no. It's labeled that way because of its intended use. I have a couple of these, and I like them because of the physical snapping toggle buttons, remind me of an old TV or something. They're very popular with people pairing them with an hdmi switch to make a cheap KVM-like solution (no hid emulation)
The intended use is sharing one printer with multiple pcs- it's labeled as if people are plugging one printer IN to the PCs. But it works the same way with any usb devices. Your computers/consoles go into the IN ports, and the OUT port is your speakers, or maybe a keyboard. I use a USB hub here. It's really just labeled with a different way of thinking, that's all. It's like a pretty dumb box and all it does is move the connection from the A port between the four B ports, as if you were manually moving the device.

Your solution would work but he would need a USB-B Male to USB-A Female adapter. His speakers don't terminate in the same gender or type as the switch you're referring to.

1 hour ago, Hower said:

why would i want to convert it to a different kind of USB during the whole process ? is it possible i can simply get one of these and achieve the same result ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Sharing-Keyboard-Scanner-Printer/dp/B01N6GD9JO/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1543412878&sr=1-6&keywords=kvm+switch

This would work fine! And I think it's a little less work to use this than it is to use @Syntaxvgm's solution, albeit more expensive.

hello everyone

I am not sure if this is a stupid question or not. But i have a usb home 2.1 system. I am looking to buy a Ps4 in the near future and i was wondering if there is a way i can use my system on both my PC and my PS4 without having to plug in and out cables every time i want to switch between the systems.

Thanks in advance

*SMALL EDIT* because i see it caused some discussion in the comments below. The cable coming out of my 2.1 is a USB-B to a standard USB-A. I need to get that USB-A into 2 devices (my PC and PS4) at the same time

you can have a KVM switch?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yeah it's possible. But you would need something called a KVM. KVM means Keyboard, Video and Mouse. You would probably only need a small, 2 channel one with USB. But that's what you wanna research to get what you're looking for.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

3 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Yeah it's possible. But you would need something called a KVM. KVM means Keyboard, Video and Mouse. You would probably only need a small, 2 channel one with USB. But that's what you wanna research to get what you're looking for.

i get it. thank you very much for the response :)

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

4 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

KVMs are for HID emulation, and are unnecessarily expensive for this. The advantage, with kb/m only, is that they don't make either of the computer think a keyboard has been unplugged.

For OP's purpose, if he wants a switch, a simple usb switch like a printer switch will do the job

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DRG1QHA/

That requires a-b cables for the devices, here's a 3 pack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNZ9KBM

In addition, the 1 "out" port can be paired with a hub to do multiple devices.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UMLS/dp/B00BWF5U0M

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Hower said:

what's that ?

Bildresultat för kvm usb switch

they tend to look like this, it allows you to plug in one pair of perifferals, and then press a switch to switch between being connected to two or more devices

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

KVMs are for HID emulation, and are unnecessarily expensive for this. The advantage, with kb/m only, is that they don't make either of the computer think a keyboard has been unplugged.

For OP's purpose, if he wants a switch, a simple usb switch like a printer switch will do the job

But what if his device isn't USB-B? That won't help then...

Just now, dj_ripcord said:

But what if his device isn't USB-B? That won't help then...

What? Look again. Those are the input ports.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

why would i want to convert it to a different kind of USB during the whole process ? is it possible i can simply get one of these and achieve the same result ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Sharing-Keyboard-Scanner-Printer/dp/B01N6GD9JO/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1543412878&sr=1-6&keywords=kvm+switch

7 minutes ago, Hower said:

that's significant'y more expensive, does 2 outputs, and it really doens't matter. A-A cables are rare (included here), most people have A-B cables. You do know that most devices use B or mini/micro cables for input right? These are the cords going TO the pc or ps4, you don't have to "convert" anything. this is standard.

Either is an option. If you only want to use 1 device and already have 2 A-b cables (I have like at least 10) this is the cheapest option.

Edit

Here's a 2 device one with cables included. This is everything you need here.

https://www.amazon.com/Selector-Computer-Printers-Projector-Keyboard/dp/B01HV1N674

Bit cheaper. Just shop around, and keep in mind that these "printer" ones are the same thing really.

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

that's significant'y more expensive, does 2 outputs, and it really doens't matter. A-A cables are rare (included here), most people have A-B cables. You do know that most devices use B or mini/micro cables for input right? I repeat, these are the cords going TO the pc, you don't have to "convert" anything. this is standard.

a tiny bit of clarification. i have edited the topic. the cable coming out of my 2.1 system is a B to A. so the A part plugs into my PC at the moment. that's the end that i need split and going into my PS4 at the same time while still keeping the same USB-B that comes out of my 2.1

9 minutes ago, Hower said:

a tiny bit of clarification. i have edited the topic. the cable coming out of my 2.1 system is a B to A. so the A part plugs into my PC at the moment. that's the end that i need split and going into my PS4 at the same time while still keeping the same USB-B that comes out of my 2.1

see my edit on the above post, but I guessed as much. I also forgot they are labeled backwards. The A part from your speakers goes into the A plug.

image.png.8f34e1f27fc62318888fed6aabdc7952.png

It's labeled out because most people are putting a printer here.
image.png.48a33492efd802b586faaf1b207cfa64.png

These plugs are the one that go to the PC and PS4, B end here A end on your device.

They're label as such because people think PC in, out to printer.

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

see my edit on the above post, but I guessed as much. The A part from your speakers goes into the A plug.

These plugs are the one that go to the PC and PS4, B end here A end on your device.

the part that confuses me is that it says USB A out.... but wouldn't i need a USB A IN because like i said my cable terminates in a USB A and that is what i need to split.

15 minutes ago, Hower said:

the part that confuses me is that it says USB A out.... but wouldn't i need a USB A IN because like i said my cable terminates in a USB A and that is what i need to split.

no. It's labeled that way because of its intended use. I have a couple of these, and I like them because of the physical snapping toggle buttons, remind me of an old TV or something. They're very popular with people pairing them with an hdmi switch to make a cheap KVM-like solution (no hid emulation)
The intended use is sharing one printer with multiple pcs- it's labeled as if people are plugging one printer IN to the PCs. But it works the same way with any usb devices. Your computers/consoles go into the IN ports, and the OUT port is your speakers, or maybe a keyboard. I use a USB hub here. It's really just labeled with a different way of thinking, that's all. It's like a pretty dumb box and all it does is move the connection from the A port between the four B ports, as if you were manually moving the device.

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Your solution would work but he would need a USB-B Male to USB-A Female adapter. His speakers don't terminate in the same gender or type as the switch you're referring to.

1 hour ago, Hower said:

This would work fine! And I think it's a little less work to use this than it is to use @Syntaxvgm's solution, albeit more expensive.

6 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

thank you for the reply :) i thought as much and i was getting kinda confused. just a quick question have you tried doing what i'm trying to do with sound signal or does it just make sense  it should work ? 

3 minutes ago, Hower said:

thank you for the reply :) i thought as much and i was getting kinda confused. just a quick question have you tried doing what i'm trying to do with sound signal or does it just make sense  it should work ? 

Do the speakers work fine with the PS4 already? Like, if you plug them in directly, they work?

2 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Do the speakers work fine with the PS4 already? Like, if you plug them in directly, they work?

i haven't tried that out yet. PS4 arrives next week but i wanted to have this solution before then so i can start testing other stuff straight away. as i have mentioned in the post i am looking to buy one, i dont yet own it

Well, check that when you get it. If the speakers work when plugged in directly, assuming there are no crazy drivers to install with the switch. All should be well.

3 minutes ago, Hower said:

i haven't tried that out yet. PS4 arrives next week but i wanted to have this solution before then so i can start testing other stuff straight away. as i have mentioned in the post i am looking to buy one, i dont yet own it

Well check that when you get it. If the speakers work when plugged in directly, and assuming the switch is driverless, all should be peachy

1 hour ago, dj_ripcord said:

Again, I think you need to look at what the device does and my other posts. there is no adapter needed, the speakers go into the A port. Jfc.

The cable coming out of my 2.1 is a USB-B to a standard USB-A

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

see my edit on the above post, but I guessed as much. I also forgot they are labeled backwards. The A part from your speakers goes into the A plug.

wow, look, it terminates in an A port and he plugs them into an A port

the 4 B ports go to the PC or ps4 with standard A-B cables that, not only are they not adapters, but most people have a few of already. I even linked a 2 device version of this switch with the cables included!

2 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Here's a 2 device one with cables included. This is everything you need here.

https://www.amazon.com/Selector-Computer-Printers-Projector-Keyboard/dp/B01HV1N674

Bit cheaper. Just shop around, and keep in mind that these "printer" ones are the same thing really.

I really don't understand what's so confusing about this.

edit

yah know what? I drew a diagram enjoy

image.thumb.png.e6c9f6e063a61db086748f3c89e4aa9d.png
Hopefully this makes it clear. 

muh specs 

All parts black