Setting up a server

Hi

I am looking for some help in setting up a server, I have a Dell PowerEdge T130 and it is installed at home. I am looking to run 5 laptops and 1 desktop from it where I can access all my data.

Regards

Andy

1 minute ago, Andrew Tarrant said:

Hi There

It is running Windows Server 2016

Regards

Andy

Okay, good to know. Try to quote me next time so I get a notification. I'm not that much of a server enthusiast myself, but what about drive sharing?

8 minutes ago, Andrew Tarrant said:

Hi There

It is running Windows Server 2016

Regards

Andy

did you try sharing the drive?

Do you just want this to be a file server?

Id look at anouther os aswell like freenas or unraid.

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Okay, good to know. Try to quote me next time so I get a notification. I'm not that much of a server enthusiast myself, but what about drive sharing?

Hi

I have a small NAS drive that my staff us but I want them to log in to the server and when they go to a remote location they can login on a RD and get what data they need.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

did you try sharing the drive?

Do you just want this to be a file server?

Id look at anouther os aswell like freenas or unraid.

Hi

I'm looking to use it where my staff can login from work or home and view data and write data back to the server.

Just now, Andrew Tarrant said:

Hi

I'm looking to use it where my staff can login from work or home and view data and write data back to the server.

Do you have a domain in place? Id do that if you don't have it already.

What is the current server setup?

Id really get a IT service if this is for a company as its complicated quickly, esp when you need it to get work done and security is needed.

Just now, Andrew Tarrant said:

Hi

So remote control? I'm getting kinda lost there. Had a hard time setting that up in home server already. I would wait for someone more server knowledgeable then me. I'm just a pc enthusiast, not a server one

With regards to RDP if you want more than server admins to have access and more than 2 possible RDP connections, you need to install the terminal server/ remote desktop services role, Which has a licensing impact (you will need client access licenses so that after around the first x number of days (i forget what the grace period is))

I guess it depends what your end goal is. IE, if its only file access you really care about for remote users there are alternative solutions that a Remote Desktop session for that aspect of things, i forget what its called but microsoft has a few options for file sharing over the internet, one which works similer to drop box / onedrive but uses on premise storage rather than cloud based storage.

9 hours ago, Andrew Tarrant said:

Hi

I have a small NAS drive that my staff us but I want them to log in to the server and when they go to a remote location they can login on a RD and get what data they need.

@factorialandha is right. 

If you want people to actually use the server as their remote desktop, you'll need a RDS setup with the appropriate RDS 2016 user CALs. The grace period is 180 days from the top of my head, so that's how long you can try to see if your server is sufficient.

I also hope you don't have the base model T130 with a core i3? That wouldn't be enough for a RDS deployment at all. You'll need the higher end Xeon model and ample memory for your users to work. So wha are your server's specs?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro