CPU cooler (Air vs AIO)

NotAVAP

Hey guys,

I'm building my own rig right now and I'm deciding on what CPU cooler to use. 

I'm deciding between

Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE (would add a second fan to the heatsink)

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/sVYLrH/arctic-freezer-33-esports-one-blackred-cpu-cooler-acfre00042a

and

Cooler Master ml240L RGB (would probably switch the fans for the same ones that would be on the air cooler)

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/RcdFf7/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d24m-a20pc-r1

I know that this isn't a fair comparison because the price difference is approximately €30. But I'd like to know how much of a difference it would make.

The fans I'll be adding to the build are the ARCTIC - BioniX F120 (Black/Red)

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/XJMwrH/arctic-bionix-f120-blackred-690-cfm-120mm-fan-acfan00092a

Thanks in advance.

How about a Cryorig H7?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Are you looking for better performance or aesthetics or silence or something else?

It's really personal preference, the thermal differences aren't that huge, unless you are going to OC hard.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

what about buying a good air cooler like an NH-D14/D15 / Cryorig R1 Ultimate / Darkrock pro 3/4? they should be quieter and perform around the same if not better than the 240mm aio

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

How about a Cryorig H7?

1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Are you looking for better performance or aesthetics

I'm going with a black/red themed mini ITX build. The black heatsink of the Arctic air cooler and the good reviews are what caught my eye. 

3 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

unless you are going to OC hard.

I'm buying a Ryzen 5 2600 and I'll try to OC it to 4.2 GHz. It's a 65 W TDP processor so cooling it isn't going to be a problem.

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

what about buying a good air cooler like an NH-D14/D15 / Cryorig R1 Ultimate / Darkrock pro 3/4? they should be quieter and perform around the same if not better than the 240mm aio

I'm going with aesthetics so the Noctua coolers are out of the window right away. The Cryorig R1 and the Be Quiet ones are unfortunately out of my budget.

12 minutes ago, NotAVAP said:

It's a 65 W TDP processor so cooling it isn't going to be a problem.

Since when did TDP mean anyrhing while overclocking?

Also, a good aricooler like the Dark rock 4 or Dark Rock Pro 4 are a good choice.

9 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Since when did TDP mean anyrhing while overclocking?

I guess it can show you what temperatures you can expect from the CPU (this is my first build so I don't really know what I'm talking about)

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Also, a good aricooler like the Dark rock 4 or Dark Rock Pro 4 are a good choice.

I could go with the Dark Rock 4.