Upgrading Lenovo OEM with HP RX 460

mg98z

I have myself a Lenovo desktop ideacentre k300b.

Motherboard - cih61m v1.0  specs link - http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/cih61m-v1-0-motherboard-specs/

Upgraded the power supply to evga 500 watt white

The GPU used (RX 460 2GB) https://www.ebay.com/itm/273514536515

When I attached the gpu into the pcie x16 slot and booted up the pc it would not display. 

I see the fans spinning on the gpu and the gpu doesn't require any power connectors so I don't see what the problem is.

HDMI was plugged into the gpu into a TV. I tried to connect the gpu into a monitor (HDMI) and also no signal.

I then downloaded the radeon software driver from amd by first booting up from the onboard graphics. 

The software wouldn't allow me to correctly install the driver because I had no amd hardware installed.

Any suggestions on what I should do to get the graphics card to display ?

If resetting CMOS doesn't do it, you might be skunked. AMD cards, for whatever reason, don't always play nice with prebuilts.

You did remember to plug in the PCIe PSU connector, right?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

If resetting CMOS doesn't do it, you might be skunked. AMD cards, for whatever reason, don't always play nice with prebuilts.

You did remember to plug in the PCIe PSU connector, right?

Well I saw online that the rx 460 doesn't need any power connector plus i don't see any on the gpu. 

I'm not sure what CMOS is. 

Just now, mg98z said:

Well I saw online that the rx 460 doesn't need any power connector plus i don't see any on the gpu. 

I'm not sure what CMOS is. 

Sorry, thought I saw 480 for some reason.

CMOS is BIOS, basically. Unplug your system. There should be a coin cell battery on the board. Pop it out, leave it out for a few seconds, hold down the power button for a few seconds, then put it back in, plug the system in and boot it up with the RX 460 connected to your display. See if it gives you a display. If it does, victory!

If it doesn't, move the display cable back to the motherboard graphics and boot back up into BIOS. Find the setting that tells the system where to draw graphics from and make sure it's set to default to the PCI slot. If it is already, that's probably GG. If it isn't, set it to default to that slot (might show up as PEG, PCI or PCI-E in the BIOS options), power it down, move the video cable back to the GPU, then power it up again.

If, after all that, you can't get a signal from your GPU, you've got one of those uncommon and wonderful prebuilts that hates AMD GPUs for some reason, and you're more or less screwed.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

You might have the problem that the Graphics card that you chose might be UEFI only, and in case you do not know, UEFI replaces BIOS, and the common symptom I've seen is no display. This is why I chose to go with Nvidia, no problems with working with standard BIOS.

Main Rig:  Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo | Asus ROG Maximus Hero | Intel I9 12900K | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB

*SERVER CONVERSION* Dell Precision T3500 | Intel Xeon X5675 | 8GB DDR3 | EVGA Nvidia GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Crucial SSD 500GB | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Corsair TX-650 PSU

HP DL360 G7 | Dual Intel Xeon E5645 | 8GB DDR3 REG ECC | HP 500GB HDD |(Build in Progress)

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Sorry, thought I saw 480 for some reason.

CMOS is BIOS, basically. Unplug your system. There should be a coin cell battery on the board. Pop it out, leave it out for a few seconds, hold down the power button for a few seconds, then put it back in, plug the system in and boot it up with the RX 460 connected to your display. See if it gives you a display. If it does, victory!

If it doesn't, move the display cable back to the motherboard graphics and boot back up into BIOS. Find the setting that tells the system where to draw graphics from and make sure it's set to default to the PCI slot. If it is already, that's probably GG. If it isn't, set it to default to that slot (might show up as PEG, PCI or PCI-E in the BIOS options), power it down, move the video cable back to the GPU, then power it up again.

If, after all that, you can't get a signal from your GPU, you've got one of those uncommon and wonderful prebuilts that hates AMD GPUs for some reason, and you're more or less screwed.

Yah I reset the CMOS battery and still not working.

Will changing out the motherboard be a guaranteed fix ?