should i get Kali?

so i am tired of windows 10 and i want a new OS, is Kali Linux a good one? what can i do with it?

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Kali is mostly designed around security and intrusion tools and such.... Kinda nefarious things.

I'd try ubuntu first.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

so i am tired of windows 10 and i want a new OS, is Kali Linux a good one? what can i do with it?

how good are you in linux?

if you are not familiar with/never used linux,I suggest you go with Ubuntu

1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

Kali is mostly designed around security and intrusion tools and such.... Kinda nefarious things.

I'd try ubuntu first.

Just now, akialwayz said:

oh okay thanks

in what ways would you say linux is better?

1 minute ago, akialwayz said:

This plus Kali linux locks down everything by default... so if you aren't familiar with linux you will not have much fun trying to get the same functionality out of it... not to mention it comes bundled with a lot of pentesting tools.

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

oh okay thanks

in what ways would you say linux is better?

It is free.

Updates outside of a kernel update does not require a restart.

IMO that is it.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

It is free.

Updates outside of a kernel update does not require a restart.

IMO that is it.

wait so i can update and not need to restart? good enough for me.. whats the cons though?

and nothnig is better than free

12 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

wait so i can update and not need to restart? good enough for me.. whats the cons though?

and nothnig is better than free

Cons?

It isn't windows

Gaming is still not great

Despite some of the distros having nice Gui's there is still going to be the need to learn the command line.

Driver support is a problem at times.

9 minutes ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

whats the cons though?

Not all games are available on Linux. And you miss some tools like Adobe premiere(if you use that). Can't think of anything else.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

Despite some of the distros having nice Gui's there is still going to be the need to learn the command line.

This is true, partially. I found that with Ubuntu, there is very little need to open the command line, and if you have to, it's only in the beginning.

But, don't let command lines scare you, mostly it's relatively easy, and I actually prefer to use the command line for some things.(e.g. installing stuff with apt-get)

2 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Heck most people I know that use linux either dual boot it or run it from a VM inside windows. I don't know anyone that just uses pure linux.

I use pure Linux, and I use wine for playing GTA V.(No, wine isn't Windows alright)

I'm having a hard time understanding why people stick with Windows. Well yes, most AAA games may be Windows, but if enough non-gamers switch to Linux, game developers will notice that.

Windows has so many disadvantages, and I haven't even talked about the October update yet.

And yes, Linux has it's disadvantages too, but those aren't as bad. Believe me, if enough people switch to Linux, the terminal will practically vanish for a lot of people.(I mean more GUI interfaces for settings will be made)

59 minutes ago, timl132 said:

I use pure Linux, and I use wine for playing GTA V.(No, wine isn't Windows alright)

I'm having a hard time understanding why people stick with Windows. Well yes, most AAA games may be Windows, but if enough non-gamers switch to Linux, game developers will notice that.

Windows has so many disadvantages, and I haven't even talked about the October update yet.

And yes, Linux has it's disadvantages too, but those aren't as bad. Believe me, if enough people switch to Linux, the terminal will practically vanish for a lot of people.(I mean more GUI interfaces for settings will be made)

Windows has it's own problems I agree, but for your average user it is the more friendly option. That is why it isn't going anywhere. If you are on these forums then chances are you aren't within the group I am speaking of and they are by far the majority.

Then you have the corporate/professional world where windows is king. Linux just doesnt have the same to offer in those spaces. Let's be honest most people don't want to learn two separate OSes which is why they would be more likely to also use windows at home.

So those are only 2 examples, but just another reason why linux will not gain the traction in needs any time soon in the consumer space.

14 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Windows has it's own problems I agree, but for your average user it is the more friendly option. That is why it isn't going anywhere. If you are on these forums then chances are you aren't within the group I am speaking of and they are by far the majority.

Then you have the corporate/professional world where windows is king. Linux just doesnt have the same to offer in those spaces. Let's be honest most people don't want to learn two separate OSes which is why they would be more likely to also use windows at home.

So those are only 2 examples, but just another reason why linux will not gain the traction in needs any time soon in the consumer space.

I agree, but the problem for Microsoft is that Linux is improving very very quickly compared to 5 years ago. I honestly don't think Windows will stay around for very long, and I bet the October update, privacy options and price are driving quite a bit of people away.

46 minutes ago, timl132 said:

I agree, but the problem for Microsoft is that Linux is improving very very quickly compared to 5 years ago. I honestly don't think Windows will stay around for very long, and I bet the October update, privacy options and price are driving quite a bit of people away.

I am of a different opinion. I doubt the majority of people even KNOW about the October update issues. Your average user doesn't care, once again we are part of the spoken minority in that regard. As for privacy, this also isn't a big concern for most people. If that was the case facebook and google would be dead and gone. Having our information gathered and analyzed is pretty much common place these days and pretty much everyone is doing it. So I think that is being overplayed here as well. Lastly, we have price. Honestly, I don't think the full official non-grey market versions are even that bad. For example on Microsoft's site I can buy the full non-oem version of Windows 10 Pro for $199. Windows 10 home non-oem is $139. Now if you look at OEM version you can get Windows 10 Pro for $149 on Newegg. Cheaper at other retailers.

So my point is that even without using the grey market you can get windows 10 for a decent price. Even at 200 that OS will be in place for probably the next 8-10 years at least if I had to guess... so when you break it up that way it is a steal. In that time you get all the updates and support free. You might get free updates from Linux, but you are limited to community support. So I don't feel any of those issues are driving people away in the numbers that would even be felt or make a difference.