Sudden performance drop with Dell 7567

I got a dell 7567 just about 2 weeks ago. Everything was running smooth until about 3 days ago. Even when plugged in my frames dip and games stutter about every 10 seconds. I play mostly GTA V, Fortnite and For honor.

I also get a HUGE amount of pop in when playing GTA 5, the VRAM usage is still the same 2GB as it was when I first installed and played GTA

I've kept the same graphics settings since I got the laptop but now I'm noticing worse frames even when plugged in. This is super annoying, any ways to fix? I've tried trouble shooting and I have latest graphics drivers as well as the latest windows updates and BIOS installed. PLEASE HELP!!
Specs:
i5 7300HQ
8GM RAM

GTX 1050 4GB
1TB HDD

4 minutes ago, ssblank said:

I got a dell 7567 just about 2 weeks ago. Everything was running smooth until about 3 days ago. Even when plugged in my frames dip and games stutter about every 10 seconds. I play mostly GTA V, Fortnite and For honor.

I also get a HUGE amount of pop in when playing GTA 5, the VRAM usage is still the same 2GB as it was when I first installed and played GTA

I've kept the same graphics settings since I got the laptop but now I'm noticing worse frames even when plugged in. This is super annoying, any ways to fix? I've tried trouble shooting and I have latest graphics drivers as well as the latest windows updates and BIOS installed. PLEASE HELP!!
Specs:
i5 7300HQ
8GM RAM

GTX 1050 4GB
1TB HDD

how do the temps look?

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Just now, MedievalMatt said:

how do the temps look?

haven't checked those, but they seem about the same as when I got the laptop. doesn't feel noticeably hotter under load

Just now, ssblank said:

haven't checked those, but they seem about the same as when I got the laptop. doesn't feel noticeably hotter under load

well if the temps get too high, the system will throttle hard to keep them in check.  which would account for the performance drops you mentioned.

It probably goes like this.  you start a game, get into a match or whatever, get about ~30 secs to 5 mins in, and the performance tanks for a few seconds, then its fine, rinse, repeat.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Frames dip even when playing GTA story mode and For honor as well. Is there any way to fix this though. Im fairly certain that thermals are not the issue

13 minutes ago, ssblank said:

Frames dip even when playing GTA story mode and For honor as well. Is there any way to fix this though. Im fairly certain that thermals are not the issue

did you install any new app/software before problem began?and is the game on a hdd?

2 minutes ago, akialwayz said:

did you install any new app/software before problem began?and is the game on a hdd?

No I have not installed any new software. And yes the game is on a hdd. It always has been and performed fine up until recently

Games usually stutter due many reasons:

1.Backgound apps/software sucking on resources-try to close background app/software

2.HDD-try to defrag hdd and dont fill up the drive

3.display driver issues-1st check whether the game is running on the gpu and try to manually set it use the 1050(go to nvidia control panel->manage 3d setting->program settings)

2nd try to revert back to an old driver

Just now, akialwayz said:

Games usually stutter due many reasons:

1.Backgound apps/software sucking on resources-try to close background app/software

2.HDD-try to defrag hdd and dont fill up the drive

3.display driver issues-1st check whether the game is running on the gpu and try to manually set it use the 1050(go to nvidia control panel->manage 3d setting->program settings)

2nd try to revert back to an old driver

thanks for the tips but I've already gone through steps 1 and 3. I'll try step 2 now but I have 664 of 918GB free.

2 minutes ago, ssblank said:

thanks for the tips but I've already gone through steps 1 and 3. I'll try step 2 now but I have 664 of 918GB free.

Also check if your lap is on low power/balanced mode->set it high performance,there is also a field in control panel program setting for high performance

Check task manager when the game is running to see what is bieng maxed out,use H/Winfo64 to look at the temperature

Run a scan using malwarebytes,just to be sure there isnt any hidden malware/virus running in background

If everything else fails,I think you'll have to reinstall the game

Monitor CPU+GPU temps, usage and clock speed while in game

Could be due to VRM throttling (which can occur in this model) and maybe HDD too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:58 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Could be due to VRM throttling (which can occur in this model) and maybe HDD too

ive tried everything

still get drops. very frustrating

24 minutes ago, ssblank said:

ive tried everything

What does hdd usage look like? If window update or an antivirus suite downloads or installs in the background this can bottleneck at the hdd.

Post exact temps. Hwmonitor works well.

Last case scenario do a full recovery off of your recovery thumb drive or do a clean install of windows. It is not worth the time and energy to track down a driver conflict when a reinstall or recovery can be done in an hour or so.

I am assuming you have a good SSD or NVME drive in there.  Windows 10 has some memory leaks that can, for the most part, be taken care of with 3 basic steps.  

1.  Make sure you have the latest bios installed and properly configured.  Dell does a good job ensuring their bios builds for systems less than 4 years old are getting regularly updated.

2.  Go to support.intel.com and download the driver update utility, then run all available updates.  You can do this manually as well, just make sure you do them.  

3.  Ensure you have the latest STABLE WHQL build of your video card drivers.  This is super important, as some of them include chipset drivers that can alter or impair performance on certain windows builds.

A few extra steps to possibly pursue.   SSD firmware update (backup your data before attempting this).  Check Dell's forums on that particular model, and ensure there are no known instances of the same issue.  Check your RAM usage.  There is a well known and documented memory leak in Windows 10.  I fixed mine by updating my drivers for my video card, and then went into the bios to ensure that the ram voltage was statically set, not dynamic (RAM returned to normal usage after completing this step).  Obviously, run Malwarebytes to ensure you don't have a rogue PUP running somewhere in your active memory.

At any rate, I hope this helps.

can you check if your bios version is 1.6.0? if it is roll it back to 1.1.0

I heard tons of issue in the newest bios version that dell released.

But first try undervolting the cpu before you roll back the bios.

if all else fails, re-paste the cpu and gpu, find a good thermal paste e.g Arctic MX-4 or NT-H1 and the expensive stuff "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut"

8 hours ago, ssblank said:

ive tried everything

Do this first

On 11/27/2018 at 11:58 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

10 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Do this first

I see my CPU is below the base clock all though the thermals are good. why??

photo_2018-11-30_13-58-32.jpg

17 hours ago, brightboyit said:

I am assuming you have a good SSD or NVME drive in there.  Windows 10 has some memory leaks that can, for the most part, be taken care of with 3 basic steps.  

1.  Make sure you have the latest bios installed and properly configured.  Dell does a good job ensuring their bios builds for systems less than 4 years old are getting regularly updated.

2.  Go to support.intel.com and download the driver update utility, then run all available updates.  You can do this manually as well, just make sure you do them.  

3.  Ensure you have the latest STABLE WHQL build of your video card drivers.  This is super important, as some of them include chipset drivers that can alter or impair performance on certain windows builds.

A few extra steps to possibly pursue.   SSD firmware update (backup your data before attempting this).  Check Dell's forums on that particular model, and ensure there are no known instances of the same issue.  Check your RAM usage.  There is a well known and documented memory leak in Windows 10.  I fixed mine by updating my drivers for my video card, and then went into the bios to ensure that the ram voltage was statically set, not dynamic (RAM returned to normal usage after completing this step).  Obviously, run Malwarebytes to ensure you don't have a rogue PUP running somewhere in your active memory.

At any rate, I hope this helps.

Ive done all of this. Posted my CPU temps as well lower in the thread.

Might be a bad firmware/BIOS/OS/software

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, megafatpanda said:

can you check if your bios version is 1.6.0? if it is roll it back to 1.1.0

I heard tons of issue in the newest bios version that dell released.

But first try undervolting the cpu before you roll back the bios.

if all else fails, re-paste the cpu and gpu, find a good thermal paste e.g Arctic MX-4 or NT-H1 and the expensive stuff "Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut"

how do I roll back my bios?

5 hours ago, ssblank said:

Ive done all of this. Posted my CPU temps as well lower in the thread.

Your HyperThreading is turned off, is there a reason for that?  Whats the voltage running at on your RAM?  If it's below 1.35v, that could very well be killing your system.  Some brands of RAM do variable voltages well.  Others, not so much.  For example, Patriot memory is a complete joke right now with their DDR 4 offering.  Many Intel NUC systems have issue with it posting.  Samsung is the same.  Corsair, Crucial, GSkill, and others do this rather well though. Try switching out the RAM.  It's helped out in many of my own similar situations with certain systems.

14 hours ago, brightboyit said:

Your HyperThreading is turned off, is there a reason for that?  Whats the voltage running at on your RAM?  If it's below 1.35v, that could very well be killing your system.  Some brands of RAM do variable voltages well.  Others, not so much.  For example, Patriot memory is a complete joke right now with their DDR 4 offering.  Many Intel NUC systems have issue with it posting.  Samsung is the same.  Corsair, Crucial, GSkill, and others do this rather well though. Try switching out the RAM.  It's helped out in many of my own similar situations with certain systems.

I had no idea Hyperthreading was turned off, neither do I know how to turn it off or on. and my ram is running at 1.20 V. Although it may be variable under load. have to test it under load when playing a game. 

On 12/1/2018 at 1:48 AM, ssblank said:

I had no idea Hyperthreading was turned off, neither do I know how to turn it off or on. and my ram is running at 1.20 V. Although it may be variable under load. have to test it under load when playing a game. 

You can find those options in the bios, but alas, I just noticed that you're using an i5-7300HQ, which does not have hyperthreading.  I would still check your ram manufacturer to see if its using true dual channel ram.  Also, check out this thread, It deals directly with what you're seeing in regards to your performance woes on that system.