Display port to hdmi

Go to solution Solved by Opencircuit74,
2 minutes ago, Chris Blackwing said:

Will this cable or something similar do ?

Yes, that cable should work fine.

So i am making this post on behalf of a friend, he's new to the pcmr community and still not familiar with the ltt community.

He has a i7 7700k, rtx 2080 MSI gaming x trio, he's using a 27 inch Acer KG271 monitor.

Now the issue he is facing is that he plans to get another similar monitor for a dual monitor setup (i got him hooked on setup wars and he liked the multiple monitor setups)

the monitor only has a hdmi port, his graphics card has only 1 hdmi port and 4 display ports, so will display port (gpu) to HDMI (monitor) work ? Another option i suggested 

was using the hdmi port on his motherboard, not sure if its as good as a direct output from the gpu though.

Basically what i or he wants to know is should he go with the hdmi output from his motherboard or get a display port to hdmi cable ?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

Geez, get an adapter for displayport to hdmi. If you use the connector on the motherboard, you're using the crappy integrated graphics and games will run terrible. They are all over the place, and you can get them from newegg or amazon for around $10.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

if the monitor doesnt have DP, get a different motherboard

? Do you mean monitor?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Get a DP to hdmi, however, if the monitor doesnt have DP, get a different monitor

will a display port to hdmi cable not work ? he's got a bit of an ocd so he'd like to get similar monitors

7 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

Geez, get an adapter for displayport to hdmi. If you use the connector on the motherboard, you're using the crappy integrated graphics and games will run terrible. They are all over the place, and you can get them from newegg or amazon for around $10.

You mentioned an adapter, can i just get a cable ? There are display port to hdmi cables available on amazon, just don't know if they are bidirectional or work one way

6 minutes ago, Chris Blackwing said:

You mentioned an adapter, can i just get a cable ? There are display port to hdmi cables available on amazon, just don't know if they are bidirectional or work one way

A cable would work as well. Most any of these will work, as long as they say (Displayport to HDMI)

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

7 minutes ago, Chris Blackwing said:

"Adapter" includes both adapter cables and adapter dongles, they are the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Chris Blackwing said:

Will this cable or something similar do ?

Yes, that cable should work fine.