Help overclocking ryzen 5 1600 to 3.8ghz

I was hoping to get some help overclocking my ryzen 5 1600 CPU to 3.8ghz. it can go through cinebench fine and can do aida64 fine for an hour but after gaming for an hour or 2 the screen will freeze and I have to hit the restart button on my case to fix it. Is there any way to fix this so I can run at 3.8ghz or is it just that my CPU just can't run at 3.8ghz?

I'm using the stock cooler and I have the fans(in including the case fans) running at Max speed. I've never seen my CPU go over 67 Celcuis so I don't think temps are an issue.

In bios, I have my voltage 1.25v, and it should set it like...maybe 1.24(bunch of numbers) and 3.8 should be possible. I got my with 1.26v at 3.95Ghz

You could raise voltage a bit more.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

This is what my voltage is at. For some reason it isn't stable. My original voltage was about 1.280V before overclocking

15430833000878331325028342278034.jpg

Edited by brandon_57

You could try 1.4v, but that's the maximum recommended voltage for 24/7 use IIRC. So if that doesn't work I'd consider it a lost cause.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

I've tried upping the voltage but for some reason when I apply the changes the voltage stays the same. Also what is llRC?

There should be a manual OC utility or advanced bios setting for OCing. You are using the idiot version and that is why you are not achieving results. I am not calling you an idiot but rather gigabyte for their bios layout. 

1 minute ago, brandon_57 said:

Then how can I get to the adanced bios setting then?

Next question. Is your motherboard a $50 board? It may not have advanced OCing features unless it's a gaming or enthusiast level motherboard. With that said can you list your motherboard for the forum members who may be able to be of help. As for my I have an MSI B350 gaming pro carbon. The top of the line mid grade board. It has advanced settings to manual tweak things that even I do not touch. 

2 minutes ago, Columbo said:

Next question. Is your motherboard a $50 board? It may not have advanced OCing features unless it's a gaming or enthusiast level motherboard. With that said can you list your motherboard for the forum members who may be able to be of help. As for my I have an MSI B350 gaming pro carbon. The top of the line mid grade board. It has advanced settings to manual tweak things that even I do not touch. 

My motherboard is a GA-AB350-gaming 3 by gigabyte 

22 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

I've tried upping the voltage but for some reason when I apply the changes the voltage stays the same. Also what is llRC?

Maybe your motherboard has a voltage limit? I know mine does, but it's 1.55v which is way past the safe point.

If I recall correctly.

The motherboard comes with an easy tune app. I always use bios level OCing simply because it's better and the way things are done. At the same time explaining how to do these things are not my forte. Mostly because there are many variables that affect an OC and performance. At the same time Ocing a ryzen CPU is as easy as it gets. 

You need to add a little more voltage to your vcore. Are you using a stock fan ,water cooling or a 120mm heatsink and fan? 

1 minute ago, Columbo said:

The motherboard comes with an easy tune app. I always use bios level OCing simply because it's better and the way things are done. At the same time explaining how to do these things are not my forte. Mostly because there are many variables that affect an OC and performance. At the same time Ocing a ryzen CPU is as easy as it gets. 

You need to add a little more voltage to your vcore. Are you using a stock fan ,water cooling or a 120mm heatsink and fan? 

He already said he's using the stock cooler in the original post.

I just tried upping the voltage to 0.156+ and the voltage sits around 1.392 and will sometimes hit 1.404. when I did cinebench my score was worst then my score before upping the voltage.

Update: as I was typing this i ran another test and this time I got a better score then before

Before:1218

First time new voltage:1180

Now:1222

I think it's a no go guys. I've pushed my CPU to the limit voltage wise and I don't want to risk killing my CPU because I don't have any money to buy a new one.  It doesn't even last 10 mins last in prime95.  Thanks for your help. If you have any other suggestions feel free to still leave them here.

6 minutes ago, brandon_57 said:

I think it's a no go guys. I've pushed my CPU to the limit voltage wise and I don't want to risk killing my CPU because I don't have any money to buy a new one.  It doesn't even last 10 mins last in prime95.  Thanks for your help. If you have any other suggestions feel free to still leave them here.

Sorry to hear that. My R5 1600 doesn't overclock that well either, I ended up settling on 3.7GHz @ 1.25v.

4 minutes ago, System32.exe said:

Sorry to hear that. My R5 1600 doesn't overclock that well either, I ended up settling on 3.7GHz @ 1.25v.

Yeah what I'm going to do is lower the clock speed and the voltage and to keep running test until i get the best performance out of it.

Better throw in the towel unless you can pony up the cash to buy a 212+ cooler or something like it. Good luck.