Best camera I can get for $300 - $400 USD

iKingRPG

I am looking for a camera but I don't know what to look for other than resolution and ISO pretty much. Any recommendations? I would prefer a 16:9 sensor and I would like good ISO performance. I currently shoot on a Honor 7X with a Zhiyun smooth 4 gimbal. I hope you guys can help. If i have to use an external audio or video recorder that is okay. Thanks!

I like my nikon b700 as it has great zooming, 4k film and can shoot really well. But it isn't a dslr, so you cant change the lens.

What do you want to shoot with it? Are size, weight, battery life in any way a limiting factor? Where are you located? 

Given the information that used cameras, especially in that price point are often almost new and can be had for anywhere between 33%-50% under new prices, would you be partial to buying a used camera? 

I take it you want to shoot video? Is your stabiliser compatible with phones only?

If so, the best solution for you at this budget may be to continue to use your phone, and depending on your subject, invest in lighting or audio equipment, since those are usually the Achilles heels of phone cameras. 

also, the 16:9 aspect ratio is I believe something best done in post. Any in camera aspect ratio adjustment will simply crop into your image and just remove information you could use for other reasons, like recomposition etc. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

Based on your budget and current shooting setup, I think you may be best going with a second-hand micro 4/3 camera. You'd still have interchangeable glass, video recording capabilities and not a huge amount of extra bulk. 

Like @cc143 says, information is lacking. But with that budget you'd struggle to get a full sized DSLR and suitable lens, new or used.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

10 hours ago, cc143 said:

What do you want to shoot with it? Are size, weight, battery life in any way a limiting factor? Where are you located? 

Given the information that used cameras, especially in that price point are often almost new and can be had for anywhere between 33%-50% under new prices, would you be partial to buying a used camera? 

I take it you want to shoot video? Is your stabiliser compatible with phones only?

If so, the best solution for you at this budget may be to continue to use your phone, and depending on your subject, invest in lighting or audio equipment, since those are usually the Achilles heels of phone cameras. 

also, the 16:9 aspect ratio is I believe something best done in post. Any in camera aspect ratio adjustment will simply crop into your image and just remove information you could use for other reasons, like recomposition etc. 

I live in USA. Yes my stabilizer is only for phones but if i get a better camera I can buy another one. I like 16:9 because if I use a 4:3 sensor it crops and loses a lot of pixels as shown here: 

Yes I want to shoot video and size most likely isn't a huge issue. I have umbrella lights (just bought them) and I keep digging deeper into a hole where I buy something than I have to buy something else to go with it and I want to know how to buy a camera right not some random 1080p camera for $80. Used is okay, battery life shouldn't be a huge issue as I will be in home most of the time I use it. 

6 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Based on your budget and current shooting setup, I think you may be best going with a second-hand micro 4/3 camera. You'd still have interchangeable glass, video recording capabilities and not a huge amount of extra bulk. 

Like @cc143 says, information is lacking. But with that budget you'd struggle to get a full sized DSLR and suitable lens, new or used.

What can you guys say about the Rebel T6? I hear a lot about the T6i, but I found one at Costco with a kit and lens. Are they any good? Or do you think I should just spend more so I'm good in 10 years? I came hear because I can't even understand half the specs. Are lenses from kits usually good? Here is a few screenshots of some ideas from Costco I'll send some Amazon ones later.Screenshot_20181105-121917.thumb.jpg.fabb3d0e8cbd1008b46461981e31f71d.jpgScreenshot_20181105-120906.thumb.jpg.d3e5bac76db738c680e5d7f7d413d3b7.jpg

Screenshot_20181105-121314.jpg

Screenshot_20181105-121325.jpg

1 hour ago, iKingRPG said:

I live in USA. Yes my stabilizer is only for phones but if i get a better camera I can buy another one. I like 16:9 because if I use a 4:3 sensor it crops and loses a lot of pixels as shown here: 

Yes I want to shoot video and size most likely isn't a huge issue. I have umbrella lights (just bought them) and I keep digging deeper into a hole where I buy something than I have to buy something else to go with it and I want to know how to buy a camera right not some random 1080p camera for $80. Used is okay, battery life shouldn't be a huge issue as I will be in home most of the time I use it. 

What can you guys say about the Rebel T6? I hear a lot about the T6i, but I found one at Costco with a kit and lens. Are they any good? Or do you think I should just spend more so I'm good in 10 years? I came hear because I can't even understand half the specs. Are lenses from kits usually good? Here is a few screenshots of some ideas from Costco I'll send some Amazon ones later.

There's 2 ways you can go about this. 

1. Get a used Panasonic G7 with whatever kit lens it comes with. 

2. Canons are pretty good in general. A 60d or 750d should be within your price range. As far as video specs go, they are not that impressive, but, the prices are getting really low now and even if the body you buy is only basic for video use, it allows you to get some good glass, which is excellent and prices right now are very low in the used market. 

I mean you could look for an m50, maybe even used, but I doubt it would be under $400. 

I wouldn't personally recommend anything from what you've linked. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

23 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

Wait for the holidays and look at the Sony a6000. 

No, I wouldn't reccomend that. The Sony a6000 was great when it came out, but there are many other cameras with better sensors and features in the price range now. Also, the Sony kit lens is terrible, and good lenses are very expensive.

@iKingRPG what are you looking to take photos or video of? It seems like you are interested in studio work since you have umbrellas. Are you doing portraits? Are you making product videos? What kind of camera you should get really depends on what you are trying to do with it, and at $400 you really have make compromises. 

If you really do not want to spend over $400, pick up a Nikon D3400 kit (includes a 18-55mm lens). They are currently going for $399 on Amazon. 

NewEgg Community Moderator since 2007.