OP5 RMA Procedure Seems Odd

Hey there LTT Forum,

I purchased the OnePlus 5 after a very very long time researching my phone choice upgrading from a hand-me-down iPhone 5s, to be honest I was sold after watching the LLT review on it...

The phone is incredible and all of it's QoL features just make use of the phone a breeze, however roughly over a year into my use of the phone the touch display stopped functioning along with the "recent" and "back" buttons.

The display functions and shows a display but I cannot touch or make use of it at all outside of the physical buttons.

I sent in the RMA request and so far the process has been...interesting: rather than be shipped out a RTS parcel to drop my phone in, along with the charger/cable and ship it back to OP I am expected to purchase a parcel, print out labeling and wait for a courier to come to my house to pick up the package from me directly.

This does seem a little strange and outside of the normal for RMA requests...now I love the phone and I still favour OP these RMA difficulties have shaken my loyalty to the brand a little.

What are your thoughts?

Icarus

CPU: 7700k @5ghz

GPU: ASUS Strix 1080ti

Mobo: ASUS Z270-AR Prime

Ram: Trident Z RGB 32gb 3200mhz

Boot Drive: Intel 600p m.2 SSD w/ 8tb Toshiba Drive

Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S36

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Platinum

Monitor: Main Acer Predator X34 supported by ASUS VG248QE

Keyboard/Mouse/Headset: Corsair K70 Lux (MX Brown), M65 Pro RGB, Void RGB 7.1 (USB)

OnePlus isn't known for their RMA process, mainly because they are a smaller company. Something like Apple or Samsung can afford to contract a major shipping carrier to provide you a shipping label and package. OnePlus is a relatively very small company when compared to the big name brands so they lack the resources for a better RMA process. You can probably find out more information about it on the OnePlus forums too.

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

2 minutes ago, Icarus_ said:

Hey there LTT Forum,

I purchased the OnePlus 5 after a very very long time researching my phone choice upgrading from a hand-me-down iPhone 5s, to be honest I was sold after watching the LLT review on it...

The phone is incredible and all of it's QoL features just make use of the phone a breeze, however roughly over a year into my use of the phone the touch display stopped functioning along with the "recent" and "back" buttons.

The display functions and shows a display but I cannot touch or make use of it at all outside of the physical buttons.

I sent in the RMA request and so far the process has been...interesting: rather than be shipped out a RTS parcel to drop my phone in, along with the charger/cable and ship it back to OP I am expected to purchase a parcel, print out labeling and wait for a courier to come to my house to pick up the package from me directly.

This does seem a little strange and outside of the normal for RMA requests...now I love the phone and I still favour OP these RMA difficulties have shaken my loyalty to the brand a little.

What are your thoughts?

Icarus

I purchased a OP 3T and the phone bricked itself due to a manufacturing defect and they said it was my fault even though that wasn't even possible and when I tried RMAing the phone and requested a new phone they said they wouldn't do it

There whole support team is really awful and dealing with them on the phone and the web chat support was really a bad experience

For the mailback process I had to purchase my own box and shipping label and they said if I wanted to RMA it I'd have to do the same thing

All in all I got in contact with their phone support and was able to mail my phone back but they only gave me a 50% refund

Don't expect any real customer support or service from OnePlus and thats why I'll never buy a phone from them again

Good luck though hopefully they can fix the issue with your phone

11 minutes ago, Icarus_ said:

Snip*

Wait for a courier to come to my house to pick up the package from me directly.

Icarus

I know for Gskill I had to pay for shipping but I could go to whoever I wanted to ship it, so that isn't really weird. What is weird is the part I quoted you on though, that is just purely strange.

20 minutes ago, Icarus_ said:

Hey there LTT Forum,

What are your thoughts?

Icarus

That's pretty typical for companies with a "budget" level customer service.

What does that mean? It means one of the ways they can afford to price the phone so low is that they save money on not offering lavish "above and beyond" customer service.

So things like RMA's, you have to pay to ship it out to them yourself.

It's kind of shitty, but hey - it's part of what makes them a "value" company, instead of a premium company.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 minutes ago, Jormungandr_Upphaf said:

I know for Gskill I had to pay for shipping but I could go to whoever I wanted to ship it, so that isn't really weird. What is weird is the part I quoted you on though, that is just purely strange.

I'm assuming that the OP could actually use any courier they wanted, but the OnePlus support team probably suggested a specific method (and maybe didn't let the OP know of alternatives).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm assuming that the OP could actually use any courier they wanted, but the OnePlus support team probably suggested a specific method (and maybe didn't let the OP know of alternatives).

I can't actually use whoever I wish as far as I know, OnePlus provided for me labels to use with my package.

They were unable to tell me exactly what to do with the 7 different pieces I had to print out provided by them, the logistics and shipping company I have to use (as provided on the labels OnePlus gave me) is called DPEX 

CPU: 7700k @5ghz

GPU: ASUS Strix 1080ti

Mobo: ASUS Z270-AR Prime

Ram: Trident Z RGB 32gb 3200mhz

Boot Drive: Intel 600p m.2 SSD w/ 8tb Toshiba Drive

Cooler: Fractal Design Kelvin S36

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Platinum

Monitor: Main Acer Predator X34 supported by ASUS VG248QE

Keyboard/Mouse/Headset: Corsair K70 Lux (MX Brown), M65 Pro RGB, Void RGB 7.1 (USB)

4 hours ago, Icarus_ said:

I can't actually use whoever I wish as far as I know, OnePlus provided for me labels to use with my package.

They were unable to tell me exactly what to do with the 7 different pieces I had to print out provided by them, the logistics and shipping company I have to use (as provided on the labels OnePlus gave me) is called DPEX 

So they did pay for shipping? Oh. Well that's much different. That's actually above and beyond most "budget" oriented companies, which is what OnePlus is.

So all you had to do was provide a box? That's easy enough.

Granted, in terms of what to do with the various pieces of paper that come with the shipping label, that's a question you call the courier for.