Gaming Laptop Screen Upgrade!

AlexTheGreatish
1 hour ago, gtaking111 said:

Is it just as simple as replacing the cable and panel or am I missing anything else? Thanks :)

I'd be very concerned about switching the cable, make sure that the mobo accepts a 40-pin cable first.  I would only switch between screens with the same pinout, so you'll have to try and find a 30-pin display.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone help me? I'm looking for a better screen for my asus gl502 vm fy200t. Can anyone suggest a product lower than 70€?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I bought a Helios 300 last year, and this video is a lifesaver. So from my understanding, the Amazon link they put - will any of those work? or am I looking for something specific?
Hoping to find what they are using but no luck on what type it is. Because I have an ugly mean - whatever that is across my screen (100% my fault), and watching this video gives me great hope that I can finally fix it. But would like which one they used or something similar with proper backlit screen. Hope to hear from anyone soon. Thank you ❤️

20181223_010143.jpg

On 12/23/2018 at 2:05 AM, Projekt said:

Alright, I bought a Helios 300 last year, and this video is a lifesaver. So from my understanding, the Amazon link they put - will any of those work? or am I looking for something specific?
Hoping to find what they are using but no luck on what type it is. Because I have an ugly mean - whatever that is across my screen (100% my fault), and watching this video gives me great hope that I can finally fix it. But would like which one they used or something similar with proper backlit screen. Hope to hear from anyone soon. Thank you ❤️

Your best bet is to follow the steps that I posted earlier in this thread, I think there is another screen model that will do brightness but idk what one.

• 1 year later...
On 10/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, reptarded said:

I did this swap on my Helios 300 (G3-571-77QK)

I did some research and found this acer thread which mentioned that the N156HHE-GA1 screen worked 100% (even the screen brightness hotkeys work!).

This one does 94% gamut and of course is 120hz as well.

Initially my laptop wouldnt give me the option to change refresh rate but after a couple of reboots, it automagically switched to 120hz.

I actually bought the screen on ebay for $100... I was ok paying extra for the brightness controls...

Hope this helps someone!

Did g-sync work for you ?

4 hours ago, pavanrocker said:

Did g-sync work for you ?

It wasn't a G-Sync display from the get go.

On 5/16/2020 at 12:43 AM, AlexTheGreatish said:

It wasn't a G-Sync display from the get go.

Gentleman reptarted used N156HHE-GA1,this display is G-sync compatible. I wonder if G-sync works on it or not. I did read on some forums that 3rd party monitors which they used as upgrade did have G-sync compatibility but, they couldn't get it to work. Some were not able to change brightness and they could get it to work by using DDU first and installing the display and then updating all the display drivers. 

• 2 months later...

I have a Nitro 5 AN515-42 (the AMD variation with the Ryzen 5, Radeon RX 560X, and 1 TB HDD). The screen broke and I've been using my 27" monitor since it broke, but have the funds now to buy a screen replacement from Amazon. Any recommendations for which one to get? (I'd prefer a 120Hz screen)

• 2 months later...

Replaced the screen of my HP Omen 2017 (the 2016 refresh one) with a 120hz panel for better colors and brightness levels. However, my problem is that I can't control the brightness anymore. Thinking it might be something to do with whitelisting from BIOS. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated on how to get my brightness controls back. Thank you!