Keyboard & Mouse don't work after new motherboard.

I just installed a brand new Asus Z87 Plus Motherboard in my computer with an i7-4770k. Going through the bios everything works fine but when I get to the Windows 7 login screen, the mouse and keyboard lose power and I cant do anything except restart the computer. The motherboard is set at default settings and even when i boot into safe mode, the mouse and keyboard still do not work.

Everything worked fine before I installed the new motherboard and CPU but I don't know exactly what to look for to fix the problem.

Do you have a laptop or something like that because just download the drivers on there and put it on a USB flash drive and install it from the USB

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Try front panel USB

I've tried multiple USB ports, including the front panel ones, and none of them work.

Do you have a laptop or something like that because just download the drivers on there and put it on a USB flash drive and install it from the USB

Sorry I'm kind of a noob at all this.  What drivers am I looking for, the motherboard drivers?

I've tried multiple USB ports, including the front panel ones, and none of them work.

Sorry I'm kind of a noob at all this.  What drivers am I looking for, the motherboard drivers?

Yes the motherboard drivers. Go to the manufacturer website and find the drivers for you mobo

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Use a different kb and mouse?

Are they plugged into USB 3.0 by chance?

Yes they are currently, but the front panel USB are 2.0 and they didn't work on those either.

I also tried my brother's mouse and keyboard just to make sure but no luck.

Yes the motherboard drivers. Go to the manufacturer website and find the drivers for you mobo

Ok I have all the drivers loaded onto my flash drive, now how do i install them from the flash drive directly?

Yes they are currently, but the front panel USB are 2.0 and they didn't work on those either.

I also tried my brother's mouse and keyboard just to make sure but no luck.

Huh,Try rear USB 3.0?

And install USB 3.0 drivers if possible from the driver CD that came with the mobo.

Huh,Try rear USB 3.0?

And install USB 3.0 drivers if possible from the driver CD that came with the mobo.

How do I install from the CD?  When i boot using the disc that came with the mobo it takes me to a command prompt screen.

How do I install from the CD?  When i boot using the disc that came with the mobo it takes me to a command prompt screen.

Don't boot with the CD,just install the drivers from the CD in Windows.

If possible 

Don't boot with the CD,just install the drivers from the CD in Windows.

If possible 

I can't get into windows because my keyboard doesn't work to login.

I can't get into windows because my keyboard doesn't work to login.

Oh wow forgot about that...

Ummm,thats a tough one maybe repair your PC with the Windows media etc:(USB,CD with Windows on it).

Have you tried plugging in a PS2 keyboard?

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

did you do a fresh install of windows with the new board and chip?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Did you do a fresh windows install? Windows doesn't like it whenever you upgrade your motherboard because it ties your product key to your mobo. 

Try installing the chipset driver for the motherboard, that's exactly what has happened to me a few times. No biggie

To get into Windows I think you'd probably have to use a PS2 keyboard. I think this would all be fine if you used a newer Windows 7 disc

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

• 1 year later...

Hi guys im new to the forums however i really need a solution for this problem. I recently switched my motherboard out and now i cannot use my mouse and keyboard after boot. As you might figure this is a rather big problem. I have put windows on a usb but when i boot with my usb still my keyboard and mouse dont function. i have also tried starting in safe mode and i do not get any response again. I would really like some help.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, so I just ran into the same problem with my ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING I looked through the BIOS setting and found a tab called spoof Keyboard/mouse. I ENABLED it and it let me use the keyboard to log into windows. Once I was logged in, the drivers automatically downloaded. So check your bios for anything regarding keyboard/mouse setting. 

Most people will flame you for resurrecting a 4yo thread. Thank you for searching and posting a fix though.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430