SSD M2 screw?

PatrickK
Go to solution Solved by PatrickK,

I'll update this with my outcome for anyone walking into this problem. Asus kind off said "fuck you we don't send them" but did link me to this webshop:

https://www.highflow.nl/modding/schroeven-bouten-etc./m.2-ssd-standoff-and-screw.html

And said I could order that one. Sadly, I have no choice, but paying 1,60 for a product and 6,50 for sending is just beyond retarded. Anyways, hope I helped someone with this sollution.

Hi, So I recently bought my first SSD. The 970 EVO. However, I have no screw to place it. It's not on the motherboard, it did not came with the SSD and the box of the Mobo is lost... I can't seem to find them anywhere online, except if I pay 15 euro and wait 3 weeks until it comes in. Does anybody know which screws I need exactly? So I could try hitting up some hardware stores to see if they have some?

Motherboard: Asus B350-Plus

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo M2.

Looking at an unboxing video, there's a small baggie with the IO shield that has the screw and spacer. But just the screw isn't enough, you need a spacer since the holes in the motherboard are flush with the PCB and the M.2 socket is elevated. So there's few millimeters between the M.2 height and the PCB.

3 minutes ago, Zagna said:

[...] But just the screw isn't enough, you need a spacer since the holes in the motherboard are flush with the PCB and the M.2 socket is elevated. So there's few millimeters between the M.2 height and the PCB.

Mine came pre installed, I just had to put the screw in.

Also, stupid question, on mine the screw was already in place as well, isn't yours already on the mobo ?

Just now, PEagle said:

Mine came pre installed, I just had to put the screw in.

Also, stupid question, on mine the screw was already in place as well, isn't yours already on the mobo ?

Nope... I said this in my post to prevent questions for it :P But no it's not. Point is i need to get a new screw but they're nowhere to be find

6 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Looking at an unboxing video, there's a small baggie with the IO shield that has the screw. But just the screw isn't enough, you need a spacer since the holes in the motherboard are flush with the PCB and the M.2 socket is elevated. So there's few millimeters between the M.2 height and the PCB.

I don't quite understand. I'm a total noob to anything hardware related. As far as I know, all I need is a Screw and a standoff

10 minutes ago, PatrickK said:

I don't quite understand. I'm a total noob to anything hardware related. As far as I know, all I need is a Screw and a standoff

Take a look under his and at 2:27. There is a small bag where you can see the standoff and screw. Then again at 3:25

1 minute ago, PEagle said:

Take a look under his and at 2:27. There is a small bag where you can see the standoff and screw. Then again at 3:25

Yea, but what are you trying to get at here? I already said Its not installed on my Motherboard from scratch and I lost the box. I need to find new screws. I mean... I appreciate all the help really, but I can't do much with that information. I know it comes with the Motherboard, but I lost it. 

Personnally I wouldn't go cheap on that. You risk damaging the mobo and/or the M.2 SSD...

I do not know if it is standardised or if there are different versions of the screws/standoffs. I can send you pictures and measurements of mine but I do not run the exact same mobo.

Go to any computer shop and ask for that. Probably they give you few pieces for free.

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Go to any computer shop and ask for that. Probably they give you few pieces for free.

I have tried 4 of them. They wont give them / dont have them. 

3 hours ago, PEagle said:

Personnally I wouldn't go cheap on that. You risk damaging the mobo and/or the M.2 SSD...

I do not know if it is standardised or if there are different versions of the screws/standoffs. I can send you pictures and measurements of mine but I do not run the exact same mobo.

Nope i know... Guess il Email Asus but that will take weeks.

19 minutes ago, PatrickK said:

I have tried 4 of them. They wont give them / dont have them. 

So go to computer service / repair.

Anyway - it's just distance and screw, not electronic part.

18 hours ago, homeap5 said:

So go to computer service / repair.

Anyway - it's just distance and screw, not electronic part.

I also did. No one is able to or wants to give them. I emailed Asus support, hoping they're nice enough to send one out

I'll update this with my outcome for anyone walking into this problem. Asus kind off said "fuck you we don't send them" but did link me to this webshop:

https://www.highflow.nl/modding/schroeven-bouten-etc./m.2-ssd-standoff-and-screw.html

And said I could order that one. Sadly, I have no choice, but paying 1,60 for a product and 6,50 for sending is just beyond retarded. Anyways, hope I helped someone with this sollution.

• 1 year later...

I had the same lame issue! My motherboard came with the spacer but not the screw, and screw flight was so small I couldn't find any screw that fitted.

Luckily the motherboard had two M.2 slots, I was able to use the spacer of the second slot as a screw for the first slot!

• 5 months later...

Sorry about the late reply, but I ran into the same issue and looked up the info, so thought I'd drop a useful answer since nobody gave the best one:

The screw in question is a 2x3mm 0.4 pitch metric machine screw with a pan head. 
Some local hardware stores carry them as they are widely used in other things too, not just computers.

I'm still pissed that they decided to make all M.2 slots use the notebook sized screw instead of using the standard screw used in the ATX standard.  However, there it is.

Edited by Ruedii
More detail