Mini Consoles

Worstcaster

Rather then Sony and Nintendo releasing the mini consoles for their old games, wouldn't they get more just porting the games to PC and not investing in the hardware at all?

old consoles have all got emulators on PC, all very playable I believe.

theres no point re-making from official developers (if they still exist), and most good games may already have the remakes.

Well the technology already exists in the form of an emulator, or they can use similar tech to the original, so by them putting out mini versions it just increases the profit they would gain from it. I think it is polarizing though, and more people would buy if they were ported to PC. So it's a trade off I guess

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

The emulators exist, but Nintendo is starting to target the ROMs as a form of piracy.  I don't know how it works with the mini consoles but I know the hardware for the current gen consoles is sold at a loss with the plan being to make up the difference in software sales.

15 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

The emulators exist, but Nintendo is starting to target the ROMs as a form of piracy.  I don't know how it works with the mini consoles but I know the hardware for the current gen consoles is sold at a loss with the plan being to make up the difference in software sales.

mini-consoles are not sold at a loss at all - the hardware would be roughly $10 a unit - they use cheap allwinner arm cpus that are hated by the development community due to a lack of fucking everything and horrid OS support.

(at least nintendo's hardware, sony's is unknown until people get their hands on it)

idk

I mean...tossing my thoughts in...but the mini consoles could also be for people who don't really know anything at all about emulators really. Some people just want things to work and for normal people this seems like a good alternative to being able to play some old classics, that and as well as a nice little sub $100 gift for someone or whatever the price is for them. That and it feels like porting every or at least most of PSN games to PC would be a pain in the ass, since emulation is a thing, which I can imagine them using with the Minis.

besides PC emulators, phone can run all those games flawlessly 

who would really wait for a game from releasing the mini consoles for 10+ years lol