Designing a custom itx case of my own

Galion

I was thinking of designing my own custom case from scratch. 

Anyone know of any software good for designing cases? 

I have "sketch up" installed in my system any other suggestions 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

Any 3D software should do bruv, Blender is free and theres tons of tutorials on it 

30 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

how are you making the case? puzzle-piecing? sheet-metal/acrylic bending? 3D printing? panel and pillars? (makerbeam-like? not sure what the actual descriptor is...)

Probably using the machines at my uncle's hardware shop to laser cut and weld them piece by piece. 

I have get the designs rights first. 

I was thinking going full glass with cage skeleton 

Best Value Build List

Budget 1080p System (RGB) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7v2Lmq - (this build comes with two free games with the RX 570) 

52 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

okay that's much simpler to design o_o just checking because some planning and maths is needed if you start folding instead of welding

blender should do fine. I think they might have 2D tools if you want to translate the models to flat sheets

Ah cool thank you

Best Value Build List

The old scap paper and pen seemed to always have worked best for me.

Ive tried  programs but i just seem to find i can make what i want pretty much quicker then i can render/sketch...

Prolly just shows how bad i suck with software or am just too old skool to change :)

Love the idea of the  full glass with cage skeleton .

i've used draw.io for simple diagrams before. You could also go full plexi if you want a durable, full-glass look

1 hour ago, Derrk said:

i've used draw.io for simple diagrams before. You could also go full plexi if you want a durable, full-glass look

Is plexi more expensive? 

What about lexan I can get some left over scraps from my uncle I think 

Best Value Build List

6 hours ago, Defyant said:

The old scap paper and pen seemed to always have worked best for me.

Ive tried  programs but i just seem to find i can make what i want pretty much quicker then i can render/sketch...

Prolly just shows how bad i suck with software or am just too old skool to change :)

Love the idea of the  full glass with cage skeleton .

Thanks, there are some projects my uncle does by hand too he says there are some projects even software have a hard time doing compared to the hand drawn ones

Best Value Build List

18 minutes ago, Galion said:

Is plexi more expensive? 

What about lexan I can get some left over scraps from my uncle I think 

i think typically plexi is cheaper, but go with lexan if you can get it for free. Only real downside i see to lexan is that it scratches pretty easily, and you cant really buff those out.

38 minutes ago, Derrk said:

i think typically plexi is cheaper, but go with lexan if you can get it for free. Only real downside i see to lexan is that it scratches pretty easily, and you cant really buff those out.

I see, I don't mind spending money on materials because my uncle allows me to use the tools in the workshop. 

It's just so hard to decide the design, I have 3 kinds of cases for references 

Thermaltake v1/f1 (cube) 

My silverstone RVZ 03 (SFF) 

Nzxt H200 (mini tower) 

For some reason I'm liking the cube form factor a lot and it looks a lot more elegant in glass form and slightly tinted 

Best Value Build List

10 minutes ago, Galion said:

I see, I don't mind spending money on materials because my uncle allows me to use the tools in the workshop. 

It's just so hard to decide the design, I have 3 kinds of cases for references 

Thermaltake v1/f1 (cube) 

My silverstone RVZ 03 (SFF) 

Nzxt H200 (mini tower) 

For some reason I'm liking the cube form factor a lot and it looks a lot more elegant in glass form and slightly tinted 

just keep in mind, plexi will scratch too, but you can buff or sand out the scratches in plexi. Lexan is a more solid plastic,and tougher to break entirely.

I build an RVZ 01 in 2015, very nice case to transporting, but a little crammed. A cube would definitely be a better way to showcase your components, but i enjoyed the slim feel of the RVZ, because it made it easier for me to store it

11 hours ago, Galion said:

I was thinking of designing my own custom case from scratch. 

Anyone know of any software good for designing cases? 

I have "sketch up" installed in my system any other suggestions 

I am doing a small mitx case for my livingroom VR with water cooling. I'm currently working on the design in fusion 360. I just worked out the mitx standard and got the size for the mobo and screw hole locations.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

12 hours ago, lacion said:

I am doing a small mitx case for my livingroom VR with water cooling. I'm currently working on the design in fusion 360. I just worked out the mitx standard and got the size for the mobo and screw hole locations.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Thanks for the model it's helpful

Best Value Build List