Surface 3 Pro screen foked

Pretty much my brother gave me this surface after some dumbbutt sat on it (it was in his backpack) and pretty much the Surface thinks I am touching on two separate points on the screen all the time, making it difficult to use. I barely logged in, but now I can't even access settings to disable touch input. I need to know if it is possible to replace just the glass cover of the screen, and then have it work? Or do I have to fork out $150 for a whole new screen?

1536884643812-366448083.jpg

Idk if the touch screen will interfere with this, but you could try disabling the touch screen with only the keyboard. If that works, here's some steps I came up with:

1: press windows key + r and run devmgmt.msc

2: Use tab and your arrow keys to get to Human Interface Devices and press the right arrow key to expand that 

3:  use the arrow keys to get to HID-compliant touch screen. and press enter

4: Press tab until the "General" tab has a border around it, then use the left/right arrow keys to get to the "Driver" tab.

5: press tab until "Disable" is selected, then press enter

6: in the prompt asking you if you want to disable this device, press y or an arrow key to highlight "yes" then press enter

Hopefully that works.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Are you planning on repairing it yourself? Unless you are really confident in your diy skills, I'd recommend taking it to a repair shop or Microsoft if your brother had their extended service plan.

afaik, you'd have to get the whole screen+digitizer+glass assembly, I don't think you can just get the glass by yourself and swap it out.

2 hours ago, Sombra said:

Are you planning on repairing it yourself? Unless you are really confident in your diy skills, I'd recommend taking it to a repair shop or Microsoft if your brother had their extended service plan.

afaik, you'd have to get the whole screen+digitizer+glass assembly, I don't think you can just get the glass by yourself and swap it out.

I am confident, besides I got this for free, so why not minimize costs?

1 minute ago, YakRuski said:

I am confident, besides I got this for free, so why not minimize costs?

If you haven't already, thoroughly read through the ifixit tutorial and check that you have or can get all of the needed tools. Also check that the screen you buy is the right one, it seems that there are two different models that a sp3 could have. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2018 at 8:48 PM, Sombra said:

If you haven't already, thoroughly read through the ifixit tutorial and check that you have or can get all of the needed tools. Also check that the screen you buy is the right one, it seems that there are two different models that a sp3 could have. 

On 9/13/2018 at 5:38 PM, Sayori said:

Idk if the touch screen will interfere with this, but you could try disabling the touch screen with only the keyboard. If that works, here's some steps I came up with:

1: press windows key + r and run devmgmt.msc

2: Use tab and your arrow keys to get to Human Interface Devices and press the right arrow key to expand that 

3:  use the arrow keys to get to HID-compliant touch screen. and press enter

4: Press tab until the "General" tab has a border around it, then use the left/right arrow keys to get to the "Driver" tab.

5: press tab until "Disable" is selected, then press enter

6: in the prompt asking you if you want to disable this device, press y or an arrow key to highlight "yes" then press enter

Hopefully that works.

Fixed it for just $200! The surface works perfectly now! I fkin love it, an i3 surface pro 3 for $200 is such a steal!

40 minutes ago, YakRuski said:

Fixed it for just $200! The surface works perfectly now! I fkin love it, an i3 surface pro 3 for $200 is such a steal!

Nice! That's actually really cool.

did you follow the ifixit guide or did you do something different?

10 minutes ago, Sombra said:

Nice! That's actually really cool.

did you follow the ifixit guide or did you do something different?

Just used the heated bed on my 3d printer to help remove the screen and place the new one in with 3m doublesided tape which alot of people say actually works quite well