mobile printer and printing

johnyb98

Good morning.

Please, I have a couple of questions on mobile printers and printing.

a. If we say "mobile printer", it means that this mobile is leaned on wi-fi direct technology? And if not, where is it leaned on? A couple of words?

b. I know that for a Mac device, mobile printing is referred to as "AirPrint". But, for Android, what should I see in specs? Because I read a lot of different things. I see direct print, wireless direct printing, mobile print, and other that I do not remember right now. I am confused. Many manufacturers refer to it in different ways for wireless printers. So, for Android, how may I learn to recognize it?

c. What is the max distance that I should have the mobile device from the printer, in order to give the mobile print? I ask here, because you indeed have and working on mobile printers, and know the real working distances, and I do not read the theoretical document statements.

Thank you for your time !

18 minutes ago, johnyb98 said:

Thank you for your time !

I've seen several "mobile" printers that are either wi-fi, in which case distance to print is simply based on how well a signal to the router it has, and a bluetooth printer, in which case distance is about 5 feet

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Please, I would like your help in the following. I read it again, and again, and over again, but I cannot understand what it wants to say. In a Brother guide for making a printer wireless, it says:

"Ad-hoc mode and Wi-Fi Direct cannot be used at the same time. Disable one function to enable the other. If you want to use Wi-Fi Direct while you are using Ad-hoc mode, set Network I/F to LAN or disable Ad-hoc mode and connect your Brother machine to the access point."

Wi-Fi direct or Ad-hoc mode : for printer of mobile device.

And if turning ad-hoc to off, why connect brother to access point? Since then, Brother machine will not need an access point to work. It will be able to work perfectly with wi-fi direct.

It is here, in this specific manual, in page 4. What does the author wanna say? Disable one, leave on the other, but leaving on the other it might not work something else. In simple words, what are all the combinations of these words of the author? I cannot understand what they want to say. I do not know but is there a possibility they have written something wrong?

7 hours ago, johnyb98 said:

Please, I would like your help in the following. I read it again, and again, and over again, but I cannot understand what it wants to say. In a Brother guide for making a printer wireless, it says:

"Ad-hoc mode and Wi-Fi Direct cannot be used at the same time. Disable one function to enable the other. If you want to use Wi-Fi Direct while you are using Ad-hoc mode, set Network I/F to LAN or disable Ad-hoc mode and connect your Brother machine to the access point."

Don't worry about Ad-Hoc mode - all you need to check for is if the printer you're looking to buy has WiFi Direct, which is part of the WiFi Alliance standard. This means that any device that supports WiFi and can run the appropriate app from the manufacturer should be able to connect to the printer to print as long as it's within range of the WiFi Direct signal being broadcast from the printer. (This varies greatly depending on how far you are from the printer and any interference or objects that may be between the printer and your client device.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I am trying to figure out this staff. With some questions (as simple as possible and with little words), and with your answers on these questions, I think I will figure all this out.

If a printer is Wi-Fi Direct compatible, first, in order to work on its Wi-Fi Direct mode, the first thing to do is to make it an access point? An access point for mobiles device to connect on it?

11 hours ago, johnyb98 said:

I am trying to figure out this staff. With some questions (as simple as possible and with little words), and with your answers on these questions, I think I will figure all this out.

If a printer is Wi-Fi Direct compatible, first, in order to work on its Wi-Fi Direct mode, the first thing to do is to make it an access point? An access point for mobiles device to connect on it?

That's correct - you'd simply follow the printer manufacturers' setup instructions to download the compatible app for your phone, and enable WiFi Direct printing. Every printer is different, so we can't tell you how to do this, but as long as the printer supports WiFi Direct it will work for printing from a mobile device.

PS: Be sure to quote my reply or tag me by typing @kirashi so I'm notified, if and only if you need a response. :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Thank you @kirashi.

With question before, each manufacturer has its own method to convert printer to an access point. We can convert the printer to access point independently of router. Correct?

I am trying to solve the following "riddle". From this image, has been grown and the question before.

brother.JPG.220afde8e0ccc05a0c85a84f2f90e313.JPG

This puzzle, has FIVE cases for a Wi-Fi Direct printer connection. So, since printer is Wi-Fi Direct, then we check the mobile device. Always via specific riddle, since we have turned printer to an access point:

Α. if mobile device is Wi-Fi Direct, then

a. we can connect them with one-push button method (it is WPS method but via Wi-Fi Direct). Correct?

b. we can connect them with PIN method via Wi-Fi Direct. Correct?

B. if mobile device is not Wi-Fi Direct, then:

c. if mobile device does not support WPS, then we will connect them manually. Manually means that, since printer is an access point, we will connect them with classic method of connecting a mobile device to e.g. a wireless router. But this time, the wireless broadcaster will be printer that will be an access point. Correct?

d. we can connect them with one-push button method of WPS. Correct?

e. we can connect them with PIN method via WPS. Correct?

As you see, for these 5 cases of diagram, I have 5 "correct" questions. Very important your answers. Via your answers, I will have a complete answer staff to all this.

ps Seems like WiFi Alliance has designed a pair: one-push button and PIN method, to work via Wi-Fi Direct. But, a little touch here. Are there two couples:

-one-push button (WPS) & PIN for Wi-Fi Direct

-one-push button (WPS) & PIN for regular wireless connection

Different pairs. One for Wi-Fi Direct and one for regular wireless. Have I understood well?

14 hours ago, johnyb98 said:

Thank you @kirashi.

With question before, each manufacturer has its own method to convert printer to an access point. We can convert the printer to access point independently of router. Correct?

I am trying to solve the following "riddle". From this image, has been grown and the question before.

--SNIP--

As you see, for these 5 cases of diagram, I have 5 "correct" questions. Very important your answers. Via your answers, I will have a complete answer staff to all this.

ps Seems like WiFi Alliance has designed a pair: one-push button and PIN method, to work via Wi-Fi Direct. But, a little touch here. Are there two couples:

-one-push button (WPS) & PIN for Wi-Fi Direct

-one-push button (WPS) & PIN for regular wireless connection

Different pairs. One for Wi-Fi Direct and one for regular wireless. Have I understood well?

From your summary, everything appears right here, however I don't use WiFi direct printers because I can't stand the horrific mobile printing apps that manufacturers pass off as acceptable when it comes to printing wirelessly. It's not that they don't work - they just don't support certain features, such as 2 sided mode in some cases, even if the printer is duplex capable when printing from a desktop.

Anywho, I'd contact the manufacturer of the particular printer you're looking to buy if you're unsure of how it works, and would advise against using any form of WPS since WPS is inherently insecure by design. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup#Vulnerabilities

https://www.howtogeek.com/176124/wi-fi-protected-setup-wps-is-insecure-heres-why-you-should-disable-it/

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/04/13/we-told-you-not-to-use-wps-on-your-wi-fi-router-we-told-you-not-to-knit-your-own-crypto/

9 hours ago, kirashi said:

From your summary, everything appears right here, however I don't use WiFi direct printers because I can't stand the horrific mobile printing apps that manufacturers pass off as acceptable when it comes to printing wirelessly. It's not that they don't work - they just don't support certain features, such as 2 sided mode in some cases, even if the printer is duplex capable when printing from a desktop.

Anywho, I'd contact the manufacturer of the particular printer you're looking to buy if you're unsure of how it works, and would advise against using any form of WPS since WPS is inherently insecure by design. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup#Vulnerabilities

https://www.howtogeek.com/176124/wi-fi-protected-setup-wps-is-insecure-heres-why-you-should-disable-it/

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/04/13/we-told-you-not-to-use-wps-on-your-wi-fi-router-we-told-you-not-to-knit-your-own-crypto/

Thanks a lot for your answer. Already know the native insecure WPS design. Two matters chopping so deep all this wireless printing details of a wi-fi printer:

a. always adore knowledge

b. as an IT pro (if I can call me this way), I am in the novice to medium mode. So, as a friend of mine wants me to suggest him a wireless printer for buy, this is a great opportunity for me to get a lot of knowledge in the specific wireless matter, in order to make a good suggestion.

Thank you again !