Do it yourself DVI-I to VGA connection

Totti30

Good Day

I have searched allot of websites looking for a schematic or a how to tutorial on how to convert a DVI-I to a VGA circuitry, and the one website I have worked from is this one http://www.instructables.com/topics/DVI-to-VGA-Conversion-on-a-Budget/ but I have followed every circuit to every pin but still its not working ( Screen shows its connected but doesn't go on). The reason for asking this question is that I have a old Graphics card Nvidia Geforce 210 and a normal CRT monitor and I do think the converter connector I have is faulty or there is a loose connection in it as my monitor only shows as bright red, blue or fainted pink (I might be color blind hahaha) but my VGA connector does work on my wife's laptop, so it could be the DVI-I to VGA converter or the Graphics card. And yes I know why don't I just go out and buy a new converter or even a new GPU, well I am a stay at home dad but not by will and I don't have the money for the replacements.

So if anyone could maybe help me on this I would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Pierre Venter

2 minutes ago, Totti30 said:

And yes I know why don't I just go out and buy a new converter or even a new GPU, well I am a stay at home dad but not by will and I don't have the money for the replacements.

Uh, a DVI-to-VGA adapter on e.g. eBay costs literally $1. You're already spending more on the parts when doing it yourself than if you just buy one from Chinaman.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, Totti30 said:

Good Day

I have searched allot of websites looking for a schematic or a how to tutorial on how to convert a DVI-I to a VGA circuitry, and the one website I have worked from is this one http://www.instructables.com/topics/DVI-to-VGA-Conversion-on-a-Budget/ but I have followed every circuit to every pin but still its not working ( Screen shows its connected but doesn't go on). The reason for asking this question is that I have a old Graphics card Nvidia Geforce 210 and a normal CRT monitor and I do think the converter connector I have is faulty or there is a loose connection in it as my monitor only shows as bright red, blue or fainted pink (I might be color blind hahaha) but my VGA connector does work on my wife's laptop, so it could be the DVI-I to VGA converter or the Graphics card. And yes I know why don't I just go out and buy a new converter or even a new GPU, well I am a stay at home dad but not by will and I don't have the money for the replacements.

So if anyone could maybe help me on this I would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards

Pierre Venter

Looks like that schematic you referred to have some open grounds? Here is a pinout chart for your reference.

http://pinoutguide.com/VideoCables/dvi_to_vga_adapter_pinout.shtml

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Yes, I know its not that expensive but I am from South Africa and here when I bought my converter it was R80 that's about $6.15 if a dollar is 13 South African Rand, and for me to buy one just to check if it might be the converter would be a huge waste of money, Like I said I am a stay at home dad and the money we have all goes to the kids and groceries, that's why I am trying to do it myself.

Please don't laugh at this I will post a image of my failure for you

It seems my upload speed is very slow so I am getting errors for trying to upload the image for you sorry

2 minutes ago, Totti30 said:

The reference on the web page of http://pinoutguide.com/VideoCables/dvi_to_vga_adapter_pinout.shtml I have followed on every point its the same as the other one but thanks for the reply, here is my faulty connection and like I said please don't laugh at this, I am trying to fix my problem

Did you connect pin 4 and 11 on the VGA connector to pin 15 on the DVI connection? Also note the DVI hotplug snippet on the bottom of the page saying sometimes it needs ground, sometimes it needs +5V depending on your video card.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

No still struggling to upload the image, well just imagine its a normal VGA connector that is used on a GPU with a ribbon cable of 14 wires, so I have followed every wire to every point on the VGA connector and from there I have cut and cleaned every wire and basically just stick each wire into their ports on the DVI-I connector as shown on the schematics 

Yes I have but not pin 4 as its reserved, my Hotplug is already soldered unto ground

I will try to do all the wiring and soldering myself tomorrow as its kinda late here in South Africa and will make sure all points is connected to the DVI-I connector, will notify on my findings 

Thanks to Razor Blade, I have done the wiring again and this time made sure about the Hotplug, connecting pin 16 from the DVI port directly to ground and it worked but the only problem now is the screen shows bright red, so from my understanding one of the colors doesn't make contact (I think its green as the only colors I do get is red or blue so that must be it then.

Final thoughts and thanks guy's