scary thing happened during macOS update

so I just updated my MacBook Pro to macOS 10.13.6, but during the update it did a really weird thing. 

the screen went off, the power light started rapidly flashing on and off and it started beeping. then, the apple logo came back on but with a really thick bar under it. it then rebooted several times completing the update and everything seems to be fine. 

but I want to know what that was. is the gpu in my MacBook going bad or something?

She/Her

usually computers go through a restarting process when upgrading from an earlier windows to a newer one but the power light rapidly flashing seems like something else, it might be something to do with the computer restarting while updating, i'm unsure though as i have never owned a macbook, only a iphone and used an ipad. but if everything is working correctly than it cannot have been a serious issue.

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

usually computers go through a restarting process when upgrading from an earlier windows to a newer one but the power light rapidly flashing seems like something else, it might be something to do with the computer restarting while updating, i'm unsure though as i have never owned a macbook, only a iphone and used an ipad. but if everything is working correctly than it cannot have been a serious issue.

my model of MacBook Pro is known for having gpu issues. so i'm kinda scared it's starting to go.. 

it restarted several times during the update and i didn't get the flashing power light and the beeping and the thicker progress bar all the other times. just once. i have restarted it since the update and it booted back up fine.. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

my model of MacBook Pro is known for having gpu issues. so i'm kinda scared it's starting to go.. 

it restarted several times during the update and i didn't get the flashing power light and the beeping and the thicker progress bar all the other times. just once. i have restarted it since the update and it booted back up fine.. 

maybe it might have been to start the update (resort to an earlier version to start the update in case the reason for the update is a broken version) which could explain why it looked "basic" but the flashing led seems a bit weird, googling for a bit says that it could be a ram issue or something else entirely it seems nowhere knows exactly, but i didn't see anything about the GPU pop up in my search so there is a high chance that that wasn't the issue. might be to do with the ram not clearing properly during the restart or the computer trying to access the information on the ram to preform the update

3 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

maybe it might have been to start the update (resort to an earlier version to start the update in case the reason for the update is a broken version) which could explain why it looked "basic" but the flashing led seems a bit weird, googling for a bit says that it could be a ram issue or something else entirely it seems nowhere knows exactly, but i didn't see anything about the GPU pop up in my search so there is a high chance that that wasn't the issue. might be to do with the ram not clearing properly during the restart or the computer trying to access the information on the ram to preform the update

maybe. Apple says the maximum for my system is 8GB, but it is widely known that my model will take up to 16. however this is unsupported.

i personally was thinking it was something to do with the EFI firmware.. but now that you've mentioned ram and considering i'm running an unsupported ram configuration.. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

maybe. Apple says the maximum for my system is 8GB, but it is widely known that my model will take up to 16. however this is unsupported.

i personally was thinking it was something to do with the EFI firmware.. but now that you've mentioned ram and considering i'm running an unsupported ram configuration.. 

but if the computer is working fine now meh i wouldn't change it haha. unless i needed to do a warranty claim ;)

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

but if the computer is working fine now meh i wouldn't change it haha. unless i needed to do a warranty claim ;)

i'm long out of warranty.. mine's from 2011 so.. i do still have the 4gb of ram that came with it so if it messes up again i might try swapping that back. 

She/Her

i'm long out of warranty.. mine's from 2011 so.. i do still have the 4gb of ram that came with it so if it messes up again i might try swapping that back. 

yeah i would never use less than 8GB personally, i had to use 8GB while i waited for an 8GB stick to arrive for my sisters pc and man i hated it as im that guy that has 40 chrome tabs open and wants to play a game and watch a movie all at the same time. i don't know how you feel but i would buy more ram than use the 4GB haha

2 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

yeah i would never use less than 8GB personally, i had to use 8GB while i waited for an 8GB stick to arrive for my sisters pc and man i hated it as im that guy that has 40 chrome tabs open and wants to play a game and watch a movie all at the same time. i don't know how you feel but i would buy more ram than use the 4GB haha

no i meant swapping it back, updating it and then putting the 16 back. just as an option if it messes up again in the future.. 

and yea i would not use any less than 16gb for a main system. the 16 in my mac sometimes feels a little cramped.. the 24 in my desktop is definitely nice to have.  

She/Her

no i meant swapping it back, updating it and then putting the 16 back. just as an option if it messes up again in the future.. 

and yea i would not use any less than 16gb for a main system. the 16 in my mac sometimes feels a little cramped.. the 24 in my desktop is definitely nice to have.  

true that would be an idea, just for the update

3 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

true that would be an idea, just for the update

it'd be a hassle every time there's an update opening it up, but it's worth it for that 16gb :P 

She/Her

You’re describing the efi firmware update, anytime I update a Mac from scratch it occurs once and has a horrifying sounding beep followed by a thick looking old school progress bar.

5 minutes ago, John Ellmaker said:

You’re describing the efi firmware update, anytime I update a Mac from scratch it occurs once and has a horrifying sounding beep followed by a thick looking old school progress bar.

oh so i was right anyway.. interesting. but i didn't update it from scratch. i bought it used and it came with 10.13.5... maybe Apple released new firmware with this update... 

She/Her

I haven’t noticed a new one but there’s several ways that update could have not been applied and still end up with 10.13.5 too.  Someone could have imaged it for example