Linux no soundcard found

So I lay have messed something up a little and I can't find a solution to fix it.
I tried installing the realtek audio driver because I found that the audio wasn't as good as it is on windows. But by doing so something must have gone wrong because when I restarted my laptop, the sound was gone.

When I do

aplay -l
aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found...

and

ls /cat/asound*
ls: cannot access '/cat/asound*': No such file or directory

How can I fix this, do I just need to find a way to re-install alsa? or is there another audio driver that I can use? :S
Sorry if this is a very beginners question ^^"

EDIT:

sudo alsa force-reload
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: (none loaded).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: (none to reload).

i thought that this could be usefull as well

and in sound settings under output I only see a dummy output :/

by doing: inxi -Fx

this is what i see: Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio bus-ID: 00:1f.3

32 minutes ago, Voylinslife said:

So I lay have messed something up a little and I can't find a solution to fix it.
I tried installing the realtek audio driver because I found that the audio wasn't as good as it is on windows. But by doing so something must have gone wrong because when I restarted my laptop, the sound was gone.

When I do

aplay -l
aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found...

and

ls /cat/asound*
ls: cannot access '/cat/asound*': No such file or directory

How can I fix this, do I just need to find a way to re-install alsa? or is there another audio driver that I can use? :S
Sorry if this is a very beginners question ^^"

EDIT:

sudo alsa force-reload
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: (none loaded).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: (none to reload).

i thought that this could be usefull as well

and in sound settings under output I only see a dummy output :/

by doing: inxi -Fx

this is what i see: Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio bus-ID: 00:1f.3

What distro?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

What distro?

Linux Mint

4 minutes ago, Voylinslife said:

Linux Mint

ok, debian based.

What does lspci show for a sound card?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

ok, debian based.

What does lspci show for a sound card?

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Iris Graphics 550 (rev 0a)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 81)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 0c)

This is the soundcard in my laptop

00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21) 

@Voylinslife

Your card is Intel based, why on earth did you try to install the realtek driver? You need to uninstall the realtek and re-install the intel one

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

@Voylinslife

Your card is Intel based, why on earth did you try to install the realtek driver? You need to uninstall the realtek and re-install the intel one

well on windows I have realtek drivers ^^" 
I am trying to uninstall the realtek one but it never got properly installed and now I am looking to re-install the intel one but I can't figure out how xs

7 minutes ago, Voylinslife said:

well on windows I have realtek drivers ^^" 
I am trying to uninstall the realtek one but it never got properly installed and now I am looking to re-install the intel one but I can't figure out how xs

You might have to do a re-install, the drivers are native to debian.

In this thread are directions on how to uninstall the driver

https://airbornesurfer.com/2015/04/how-to-install-realtek-hd-audio-driver-in-linux/

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

https://airbornesurfer.com/2015/04/how-to-install-realtek-hd-audio-driver-in-linux/

Makefile:326: recipe for target 'uninstall' failed
make: *** [uninstall] Error 1

That's the result :/

26 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

realtek is completly uninstalled, but installing the intel audio driver is still a problem. I can't find a way to install it again :/ Any idea's tho this? 

1 hour ago, Voylinslife said:

realtek is completly uninstalled, but installing the intel audio driver is still a problem. I can't find a way to install it again :/ Any idea's tho this? 

Whoever taught you to install should know how to uninstall.

I always do a full system backup and set a restore point just in case things like these happen 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

34 minutes ago, wasab said:

Whoever taught you to install should know how to uninstall.

I always do a full system backup and set a restore point just in case things like these happen 

I never make restore points because I never expect such things to happen :P

I ended up removing and installing too many things that my linux install refused to start up. So I had to re-install everything :/

7 hours ago, Voylinslife said:

I never make restore points because I never expect such things to happen :P

I ended up removing and installing too many things that my linux install refused to start up. So I had to re-install everything :/

Sorry. I was out on a photoshoot, but that was basically my next suggestion, nuke it from orbit and start over again.

I assume it's working now?

On 7/7/2018 at 10:14 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Sorry. I was out on a photoshoot, but that was basically my next suggestion, nuke it from orbit and start over again.

I assume it's working now?

yeah it is working now, but I still find that the audio quality is off compared to my windows partition. On windows the audio sounds good and clear, but on linux it starts to sound a bit tinny if you get what I mean xs any way of fixing that?

2 hours ago, Voylinslife said:

yeah it is working now, but I still find that the audio quality is off compared to my windows partition. On windows the audio sounds good and clear, but on linux it starts to sound a bit tinny if you get what I mean xs any way of fixing that?

This is a driver issue. Intel builds drivers for Windows given they have access to design specs. The driver under linux is written based possibly only on partial specs, or reverse engineered from Windows, and so the sound is not a one for one equivalent.