Dynamic Accuracy (DyAc) vs G-sync

Rayleigh

Hello, I´ll have birthday tomorrow and want to buy a new Monitor with 144hz and G-sync/DyAc. I have a GTX 970 currently, planning to upgrade in a couple months.

At the moment I am undecided what Monitor I really want, my two favorites are BenQ Zowie xl2536 - 144hz, 1ms, DyAc and Acer Predator xb241hbmipr - 144hz, 1ms, G-sync.

So if anyone has experience with Benq´s DyAc - please let me know if you think it´s worth.

Same with Nvidias G-sync and the Acer Monitor.

These 2 things are entirely different things.

Dynamic Accuracy is probably a derivate of ULMB, using backlightstrobing: Between 2 Frames there will be inserted 1 totally black screen, that reduces ghosting and trailing greatly. In Addition, Image while in motion remain quite sharp.

This will NOT eliminate Tearing when you play with V-Sync OFF, and will run at a fix refresh rate (if i'm correct, details about how BenQ exactly handles that are not clear but that's how backlightstrobing is kinda).

This usually reduces Brightness, and COULD be visible as slight "flickering", depending on how sensitive you are / the Monitor.

G-Sync is something entirely different. it changes the Monitor's Refresh rate based on how many fps your Graphics Card can produce, eliminating any kind of Tearing or stuttering you could have while using V-Sync on / Off), giving you a clean smooth motion without any distortion.

If your g-Sync Monitor has "ULMB", this is basicly the same as DyAc. However, it can possibly be, that one of them works a bit better than the other~ But they are kinda like Freesync and G-Sync. Doing kind of the same thing, but can still be slightly different in reality.

However: From me, NO Recommendation for this Acer monitor. Only 1080p is garbage for any g-Sync monitor.

Where are you from? Models with 2560x1440 resolution and better Panel (8 bit instead 6bit + FRC), same size etc cost not much more here in germany.

For example, the Dell S2417dg goes for <400€ here - and in USA i've seen it often for 389-399 USD, making it way sharper, but not much more expensive.

Yes, the higher resolution does reduce your fps at the same settings, but gives you a much cleaner / sharper image (+ visual quality). you can counter the 20-30% fps loss easy with graphic settings.

1440p + High > 1080p + Ultra anytime of the day.

And since your Monitor will survive not just your current GTX 970, but the next 2-3 Graphics Card you buy, this is also part of Future Proof.

Back when i made the upgrade, i decided also for 1440p on 24" instead 1080p, and i only had a GTX 1060. I made it work, and didn't regret it. Even for more fps, i would NOT trade it back in for a 1080p model.

So, please check how much a Dell S2417dg is in your country, or also an Acer XB241YU.

But i wouldn't pay nearly 400 bucksf or 1080p - unless you only play competetive e-sports, and go for 240 Hz.

Also, no recommendation for BenQ, as it also costs 365€~ like the Acer, but has NO G-Sync included, and doesn't offer anything better instead. Only 144 Hz, not even Freesync (this alone is a reason to NOT get it), only 6 Bit + FRC Panel as TN.. Price is at least 120€ too high for what it offers.

there are Monitors with the same specs for 200-250€. Also TN, 144 Hz, and they also offer Freesync.

TL;DR:

If you don't go for G-Sync, you can get a MUCH cheaper one with same specs.

If you go for G_Sync (and i highly recommend it, at least if you are sensitive to Tearing / stuttering. Then it's a miracle sent directly from Heaven. I never want to play a Game without G-Sync anymore, ever again), please do yourself a Favour, spend those 30-50 bucks more for one of those 2 2560x1440 Models. It will look way better, giving you way more space to work with in desktop / Browsing.... Don't forget, this Monitor can easy last 5-10 years. Don't stick to 1080p at these prices.

Hallo, über DyAc und G-sync -  habe das später dann auch bemerkt aber danke für die ausfürhliche Erklärung.

I´m from Germany and have also considered buying the Dell S2417dg but thought/still think the 970 wont be good enough for 1440p at stable high framerate.. or will it ?

I will for sure get a G-sync monitor. I want to buy one good Monitor for many years. Maybe an IPS for movies in the future.

Mindfactory has it the monitor at 406€ at the moment.

• 8 months later...

I have done a lot of looking into the difference between 240hz 1080p TN, 1440p 165/144hz TN/IPS, I found that there is VERY little difference between a TN and a IPS panel in terms of shuttering/motion blur.  However the difference between 165/144hz to 240hz is way more impact than one may think.  If you take a look at the high speed footage of 60hz vs 144hz/165hz vs 240hz its very clear how much less shuttering you get with 165hz/144hz vs 240hz.  The human brain is used to seeing things in real time, 240hz is the closest to real time as you can get.

All of this being said, I personally will always go for hz over res, because hz of res will catch up and one day we will have a 4k 240hz screen, and when both the GPU's and CPU's catch up to screen tech, because from what I can see from current times of tech, screens will always be a head of CPU's and CPU's.  The reason I will always be going for 240hz over res is because hz are like bandwidth, the more info your brain can get per second the faster your brain can react to it.  Almost like ping not quite, just something to think on.

Another side note, the shuttering/motion blur between TN or IPS 165hz/144hz is so small that I would buy the IPS over TN.  But a good IPS at that, so do your research into the IPS panel itself and not whos making it.

If your aim is the purest of pure visuals than sure a 144hz 4k would be epic, but faster info now is way more impactful than it looking good to me.  I am a non-pro competitive gamer so response is everything for me.