Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valermos

Twin Core X9's - Name TBD (updated)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So...bear with me on this one. I started this project nearly two years ago and then a bunch of life stuff happened and I dumped it in a corner and then struggled to pick it back up. Now that I have gotten back into it I feel like I am rediscovering my love for enthusiast computing, and it has been a great feeling and a big help in getting through some stuff. Since I was a teenager and built my first computer I've always wanted to do a crazy over the top custom loop build. I've done many water cooled builds over the years but they were pretty generic. Now, in my thirties, I have the resources and some know how to make that "dream" become a reality.

 

This is the first time I've ever done a customized case project of this scale, and I am learning A LOT as I go. I've made some mistakes, some uneven cuts, and even redone some stuff. It won't be perfect but I'm trying my best to get as close to perfect as I can within my abilities. Somethings I kinda was like...well I'm not perfect so this is a good reflection of that. xD

The general plan is to stack two gutted Thermaltake Core X9's on top of eachother and make a dual loop hardline system in it. The lowest level will house the radiators, pumps, and some reservoirs, while the top will house the hardware and the cooling will pass up to it. The top will have a glass window front, top, and sides. 

In terms of practicality....well....it isn't. This is just what I thought would look cool and I've got a vision in my head that I tweak as I go. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here are some pictures of where I started about two years ago and my next post will show my recent progress and changes.


IMG_0802_zpsnkgsrimv.jpg
IMG_0800_zpswm12c4uq.jpg

IMG_0804_zpsgdrvp5os.jpg

IMG_0807_zpsv0s3hzqk.jpg
_MG_0815_zpspodydswk.jpg
_MG_0814_zpsrofuwgsd.jpg

Working on the next post/batch of pics.


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Originally I thought I wanted to do a black/green/purple build but I've since scrapped that idea and want to do a white/silver/black build.
I've done lots of cutting and filing of all the edges and cut areas getting ready for primer.

These next few images should give a good idea of what I am looking to accomplish.
______

Ordered a custom cut glass top for the case.
Glass-Top-3_zpszdcoohfm.jpg
Glass-Top_zpsmdwxncqt.jpg

 

The system will ride on casters for easy moving.
Casters_zpsdgbsi5cs.jpg

Plotting out where to punch the pipe pass throughs to the top from the lower deck.
Pump-and-Res-Planning-3_zpsrnwfaqkj.jpg

 

Annnnd drilled out.
IMG_1160_zps8kdlpent.jpg
IMG_1161_zpsubyizdib.jpg

Reservoirs from the lower deck under the top deck. Lots of reservoirs in this.
IMG_1165_zps8jwv7pwo.jpg
IMG_1167_zpsi8abz6wt.jpg

Front window cutout.
IMG_1624_zps5io6wbji.jpg
IMG_1626_zpsf5ejduxd.jpg

Planning the radiators/pumps layout.
IMG_1630_zps283zylvy.jpg

Bitspower brackets for the Bitspower reservoirs.
IMG_1641_zpsbafwtmqx.jpg

More pics on the way. :)


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is looking to be a pretty sweet build, I am looking forward to seeing more

 


⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

 

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

 

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

 

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

The top reservoirs will need support so they don't move when I roll/move the case so I cut/bent some by hand out of sheet aluminum. Not bad for a dremmel and a hammer.
 

IMG_1643_zpsdzwoetmq.jpg
IMG_1650_zpshk4a93pr.jpg
IMG_1652_zps4deygjqb.jpg

I punched the pass throughs for the bottom decks. EK fittings.
IMG_1646_zpszudvpjif.jpg

Res to res.
IMG_1649_zpsevfkf8vt.jpg
IMG_1648_zpsxb8qdlnw.jpg

What looking through the front window will be like.
IMG_1632_zpsgryfuqxy.jpg

2x Thermaltake Core X9 tempered glass side panels to replace the standard ones.
IMG_1659_zpsogy3mcw6.jpg

Loving how that looks. More to come as I head into painting.


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

And now we are caught up to this past weekend and where I will make continued progress to finish this summer.

This past weekend I sanded, washed, wiped, and then primed the parts.

All washed and drying in the sun. :)
IMG_1661_zpswz6mngyg.jpg

Learning the hard way that if I plan to do more projects like this I should invest in a good paint system. 
IMG_1662_zpsx0cgxypc.jpg

Forgot to mention I cut the top portion of the side case panels out for the bottom deck so that the bottom reservoirs will be visible. 
IMG_1665_zps6whcqzaw.jpg

More priming..
IMG_1670_zpsfzeosxcw.jpg
IMG_1671_zpsvowrxupz.jpg

All done with primer.
IMG_1674_zpsqv34dpdc.jpg

IMG_1680_zpsebntmkrd.jpg

Next weekend I will move on to wet sanding and then start on the first coat for the final color. I want to do like a pearlescent white.

Thank you for visiting and sharing with me!


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Valermos said:

Next weekend I will move on to wet sanding and then start on the first coat for the final color. I want to do like a pearlescent white.

What about the system specs?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

What about the system specs?

Great question haha! So far I think I may just stick my existing X99 system in there. I think it still has plenty of life and power. I was hoping the new 8 core coffee lakes would be out by now but...they aren't so I'll prob stick with my system.

5820K, does 4.5Ghz
Asus X99 Deluxe
32GB DDR 2666Mhz
960 Evo
Titan X (Pascal 2016)

I also already have blocks for the X99 mosfet and the cpu/gpu.


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Valermos said:

In terms of practicality....well....it isn't. This is just what I thought would look cool and I've got a vision in my head that I tweak as I go. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

Is there any other reasoning to this madness rather than you thought it would look cool? :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

 

Is there any other reasoning to this madness rather than you thought it would look cool? :)

I suppose the desire to create something personal. I've built so many computers in cases and it never felt like "mine" or satisfactory. I put hardware in a case and threw in a loop. I wanted to do something more and create something that I felt was mine. If that makes any sense. I always wanted to do hardline tubing and stuff like cutting my own windows etc so this is like checking off a bucket list of things I always wanted to do in one big project lol. 


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Valermos said:

I suppose the desire to create something personal. I've built so many computers in cases and it never felt like "mine" or satisfactory. I put hardware in a case and threw in a loop. I wanted to do something more and create something that I felt was mine. If that makes any sense. I always wanted to do hardline tubing and stuff like cutting my own windows etc so this is like checking off a bucket list of things I always wanted to do in one big project lol. 

 

It's indeed a lot of custom work that is required. However, from the pictures that you've uploaded I can imagine that the final result will definitely look incredible and unique. I'm quite interested to see how it evolves :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Going to wet sand the primer this weekend and hopefully start on the base color coat if time permits. 

 

I messaged Thermaltake to ask about the tint percent/color of their side panels so I can hopefully buy matching tinted glass for the other windows I cut. Or tint them myself somehow if I need to.


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Valermos said:

Going to wet sand the primer this weekend and hopefully start on the base color coat if time permits. 

 

I messaged Thermaltake to ask about the tint percent/color of their side panels so I can hopefully buy matching tinted glass for the other windows I cut. Or tint them myself somehow if I need to.

 

Do you have an isolated area to paint these panels? I’m definitely no expert, but if you want them in a whitish colour, you’ll easily see all the dust that settles on the freshly painted surfaces.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

 

Do you have an isolated area to paint these panels? I’m definitely no expert, but if you want them in a whitish colour, you’ll easily see all the dust that settles on the freshly painted surfaces.

Painting them in my garage is about the best I can do, not too worried about dust as I'll bring them in to cure and will be doing a clear coat with a wet sand and polish on the finish too. Should take care of any imperfections.


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So....an update.... 

 

I did the final paint over the weekend, and I am not sure what happened. But the white ended up with a yellowish dirty like tint. I don't want to talk about it much more than that.

 

Overwhelming disappointment right now considering how much I just put into this to have to redo it.

 

I have to repaint it. :(


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Valermos said:

So....an update.... 

 

I did the final paint over the weekend, and I am not sure what happened. But the white ended up with a yellowish dirty like tint. I don't want to talk about it much more than that.

 

Overwhelming disappointment right now considering how much I just put into this to have to redo it.

 

I have to repaint it. :(

White is the least forgiven color to paint you have to be in a really clean environment, best to have concrete floors and wet the floor before painting to keep any dust from coming up. Gloss Black is also a pain to paint as any imperfection in the clear shows up like a sore thumb, I use to have a paint shop so if you want any advise let me know 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, TekRed said:

White is the least forgiven color to paint you have to be in a really clean environment, best to have concrete floors and wet the floor before painting to keep any dust from coming up. Gloss Black is also a pain to paint as any imperfection in the clear shows up like a sore thumb, I use to have a paint shop so if you want any advise let me know 

It went wrong somewhere with the clear coat I am guessing. But yes white took an insane amount of care and still wasn't a great finnish. I think I am just going to sand it this weekend and do a type satin grey. 


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Valermos said:

It went wrong somewhere with the clear coat I am guessing. But yes white took an insane amount of care and still wasn't a great finnish. I think I am just going to sand it this weekend and do a type satin grey. 

You said you took them inside after painting? Dramatic temperature changes will also affect the paint, also not all clear coats work with all paints so make sure they are compatible. If you are clear coating them with spray cans I would highly recommend getting a cheap spray gun and some automotive clear as they are usually self leveling and are a lot more forgiving than spray can clear. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 minutes ago, TekRed said:

You said you took them inside after painting? Dramatic temperature changes will also affect the paint, also not all clear coats work with all paints so make sure they are compatible. If you are clear coating them with spray cans I would highly recommend getting a cheap spray gun and some automotive clear as they are usually self leveling and are a lot more forgiving than spray can clear. 

Yea I brought them in after about an hour, wanted to avoid as many contaminants as possible since I am pretty far from having anything professional for it. My brother in law has an air compressor and spray gun, gonna see if he will help me out. Any recommendations on paint would be much appreciated. I'd been watching youtube paint tip vids for about a month, everything went fine until this last coat. 

 

Temperature outside was high 80's inside was 74ish (fahrenheit).


i75820K / X99 Deluxe / 32GB DDR4 / Titan X / U3415W

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Valermos said:

Yea I brought them in after about an hour, wanted to avoid as many contaminants as possible since I am pretty far from having anything professional for it. My brother in law has an air compressor and spray gun, gonna see if he will help me out. Any recommendations on paint would be much appreciated. I'd been watching youtube paint tip vids for about a month, everything went fine until this last coat. 

 

Temperature outside was high 80's inside was 74ish (fahrenheit).

I always used Nason 2 part clear, meaning base color is separate, it's a 2k urathene clear coat. Make sure if you use it to mix the right amount of thinner and activator, it's says it on the can. You can get it at oriellys, and for your base I would recommend the rustoleum from Walmart as I always had great results with that spray paint with the nason clear coat when painting smaller objects and didn't want to mix up any paint. Do not let the clear coat completely dry before adding additional coats cause then you will need to wait at least 24 hours before applying additional coats. I would always test my spray on a scrap piece then I could use that to check the tac before adding more coats, 15 mintues between coats is ideal. Also I would highly recommend getting some tac rags and wipe everything down before painting. Hope this helps and good luck

 

Edit, added some pics of what I recommend as I had great results with these products

Screenshot_20180711-201754.png

Screenshot_20180711-202009.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

How fine of a grit did you wet sand down to?  When I was painting some case panels I did, I ended up sanding down to 3000 grit, and when I did the clear coat, it crinkled up like cellophane wrapping in some areas.  Did you use any isopropyl alcohol or mentholated spirits before clear coating?


CPU - 1700X 4gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech G655 Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med 2x LG 29UM65-P Ultrawide Monitors

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Valermos said:

So....an update.... 

 

I did the final paint over the weekend, and I am not sure what happened. But the white ended up with a yellowish dirty like tint. I don't want to talk about it much more than that.

 

Overwhelming disappointment right now considering how much I just put into this to have to redo it.

 

I have to repaint it. :(

 

I'm sorry to hear that. Progress was going so well!

I don't have sufficient experience to give you any advice about what you could do to solve the problem. (You might even reck your build when listening to my "painting advice" :P)

However, @TekRed should know a thing or two about painting ;), so I highly suggest considering his advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×