Shitty laptop

So I recent bought a second hand advent quantum q200 and it is SHAT, it can barely handle windows 7. So I was thinking about replacing windows 7 pro on it with Linux wondering if it would be lighter on the system, if so which version. The laptop has 2gb ram and 2.2ghz celeron 900

well NO SHIT SHERLOCK, if you've NEVER heard of the brand before you can't expect much from it, also there is a reason to look up the specs on something before buying, that CPU is a 9 YEAR OLD SINGLE CORE CPU, did you expect it to be anything other then shit?

your best bet is like a "Tiny 7" install onto an SSD, but don't expect miracles, that would be like buying the first iPhone then complaining about how slow it is compared to the Iphone X.

Honestly I probably wouldn't have even taken that machine if it was given to me for free, it's just that weak a machine

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

well NO SHIT SHERLOCK, if you've NEVER heard of the brand before you can't expect much from it, also there is a reason to look up the specs on something before buying, that CPU is a 9 YEAR OLD SINGLE CORE CPU, did you expect it to be anything other then shit?

your best bet is like a "Tiny 7" install onto an SSD, but don't expect miracles, that would be like buying the first iPhone then complaining about how slow it is compared to the Iphone X.

I don't think he was really complaining. Seems to me like he's pretty much at peace with the fact that its garbage. He's looking for advice on which version of linux to run? Don't get so worked up friend :)

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

I've run Puppy Linux and similar well on lower end systems. Not tried recently though.

I agree, puppy linux is great. However if you're unfamiliar with linux it might be better to start with some version of Ubuntu, they have a lot of options, great driver support and a ton of support out there. Good luck!

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

8 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

Honestly I probably wouldn't have even taken that machine if it was given to me for free, it's just that weak a machine

I didn't buy it for high end gaming, I bought it for using my arduino programmes on the go

8 hours ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I don't think he was really complaining. Seems to me like he's pretty much at peace with the fact that its garbage. He's looking for advice on which version of linux to run? Don't get so worked up friend :)

I agree, puppy linux is great. However if you're unfamiliar with linux it might be better to start with some version of Ubuntu, they have a lot of options, great driver support and a ton of support out there. Good luck!

I'm somewhat familiar with Linux, I had a mint Linux virtual machine on my pc, thanks for the advice though 

8 hours ago, AskTJ said:

A distro like Ubuntu or Fedora are lightweight and will work smoothly with your specs.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, frozenboi810 said:

I didn't buy it for high end gaming, I bought it for using my arduino programmes on the go

I wasn't even thinking gaming, that computer would be lucky to handle like basic web browsing with how demanding that has become (I've dealt with computers from that era recently, even basic youtube playback is choppy), pretty sure a Raspberry Pi is more powerful. Just saying hope you didn't pay more then like 10-20 bucks for it. best of luck finding something lightweight enough to not drive you mad, if you got a spare SSD laying around that could help some, I know it noticeably boosted other older computers that i've done that to.

9 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

I wasn't even thinking gaming, that computer would be lucky to handle like basic web browsing with how demanding that has become (I've dealt with computers from that era recently, even basic youtube playback is choppy), pretty sure a Raspberry Pi is more powerful. Just saying hope you didn't pay more then like 10-20 bucks for it. best of luck finding something lightweight enough to not drive you mad, if you got a spare SSD laying around that could help some, I know it noticeably boosted other older computers that i've done that to.

Yes youtube playback is choppy but I got my phone and pc for that, Web browsing is alright though chrome kept crashing so I switched to firefox